The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 19, 2004, 08:47 AM   #1
angel38uk

Shotgun Holster???

Hey everyone i need some advice about shotguns. I am actually writing a novel/film script about an action hero type character, similar to the likes of Indiana Jones of Rick O'Connell (from The Mummy films), yet it is set in modern day.

My character is a mercenary whos out looking for artefacts or chasing criminals, climbing through ancient tombs or caves, etc and i need to outfit him with certain weapons which will be useful to him out in the field. It is a bit of a fantasy story so he will be battling villains from all around the world and maybe a few fictional monsters too.

Now for his main weapon i am thinking a shotgun, one which can be carried on his back in some kind of holster. I dont actually know much about guns so can anyone offer me some ideas on a good shotgun. the only one i have any idea of is the one that american police and military use, what is the name of that one? I was thinking it would be a sawed off shotgun, making it smaller and easier to wear on his back. Are there any such things as shotgun holsters? I am sure the character Hixx has one in the Aliens film, and maybe Ash in Evil Dead 3 and maybe even Micheal DouglasĀ“s character at the beginning of The Jewel in the Nile.
Old September 20, 2004, 08:43 PM   #2
Roadkill Coyote

Voila!

As requested, a shotgun, with holster

The thing is based on a Maverick, which is generally similar in operation to the Remington 870 (the most common US police shotgun). There are small differances, like the location of the safety (on the Maverick it's on the front of the triggerguard).

Of course you realize that your hero's greatest adventure would be avoiding getting arrested every other day? Suspension of disbelief is a lot easier with a story set in the early part of the century.
Old September 20, 2004, 10:24 PM   #3
Casp_A

Heh, that super-shorty is cool, though I'd rather have a semi-auto, box mag fed scattergun in a package that short, and carried like that. While I'm being unrealistic, SPAS-15 magazines and a Benelli M4 ARGO gas system.
Old September 23, 2004, 12:59 AM   #4
User Name

Here ya go...http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/sh20-e.htm
About like you discribed...although I guess your super hero will have to have his holster custom made...
He could of course wear it strapped across his back...anyway check out the others listed to the left of the page I linked for more ideas...good luck on your book/screen paly..maybe I'll be at the movies oneday and can tell my buddies "Hey see that...that was my idea!!!"
"Whenever Governments mean to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise an army upon their ruins. This was actually done by Great Britain at the commencement of the late revolution."
Rep. Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts - 1789

GUN CONTROL....IT'S NOT A NEW IDEA......JUST A BAD ONE!
Old September 24, 2004, 08:41 PM   #5
Marcus

Checkout the Firepower rig on this site http://www.andrewsleather.com/ How about something like that with a pistol gripped Saiga 12ga. (AK shotgun) with the barrel cut down even with the fore end. They can be had full auto BTW and with mags of either 5 or 8 rounds. Marcus
Old September 24, 2004, 09:59 PM   #6
gifted

Look up the movie Romancing The Stone. I think the guy in there had a shotty in a back holster.