The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 7, 2012, 03:19 PM   #1
WIN1886

Custom carry trigger job and barrel work on BHP question ?

I've been thinking of sending my Browning Hi Power in for a custom carry trigger job ( leaving the magazine disconnect installed ) and am wondering if anyone here has had this done ? Who would you recommend and how did it turn out ? I would like to replace the stock hammer with a non-bite hammer as well ! Barrel work would just be polishing feed ramp and such , thanks !
Old December 7, 2012, 03:29 PM   #2
WC145

I removed the mag disconnect from my HP and the trigger was improved dramatically, no need for an action job now.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old December 7, 2012, 03:36 PM   #3
mete

The trigger job can be done with the disconnect in place but there are little tricks.One is to polish the area of the magazines where the disconnect rubs.At least some improvement can befound.
Old December 8, 2012, 01:07 PM   #4
WIN1886

Actually , I did remove the magazine disconnect and yes , the trigger pull does feel smoother (not as gritty) and a bit lighter in pull...however , I'm having second thoughts about the removal of it for liability reasons if for some very remote possibility of an accidental discharge which this could become an issue ! I've been checking out some out sources like Cylinder & Slide that claim to reduce the trigger pull to about 5 lbs with the disconnect left intact...plus they can install the non-bite type hammer I'm looking for as well and other parts & services to enhance the performance of the BHP !
Old December 8, 2012, 03:53 PM   #5
WVsig

Quote:
Actually , I did remove the magazine disconnect and yes , the trigger pull does feel smoother (not as gritty) and a bit lighter in pull...however , I'm having second thoughts about the removal of it for liability reasons if for some very remote possibility of an accidental discharge which this could become an issue ! I've been checking out some out sources like Cylinder & Slide that claim to reduce the trigger pull to about 5 lbs with the disconnect left intact...plus they can install the non-bite type hammer I'm looking for as well and other parts & services to enhance the performance of the BHP !
If you are going down to a 5lb trigger what difference does the magazine disconnect make? I remove the magazine disconnect on all of my BHPs. It does not really lighten the trigger pull but it does make the pull smoother. A 5lb trigger is going to be questioned more in the case of a ND than the mag disconnect IMHO.

C&S does great work on BHPs they also make a lot of nice BHP parts. They are most well known BHP shops. Others to consider are Wild West Guns, Novak & Action Works. They all do great work. Here are a few pics of my custom BHP which was done by Wild West Guns and has C&S parts: Wide Trigger, Commander Hammer and Sear & wide thumb safety.

Old December 8, 2012, 04:01 PM   #6
comn-cents

I've had Robar do work on other guns and they do great work.

http://robarguns.com/browning-hi-power.html