The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 12, 2014, 12:03 AM   #1
CommissarHark

Confusing Mosin Nagant Problem

So I've been working on a Mosin project for the past month. I'm building a scout rifle out of my Mosin by dropping it in one of the Archangel stocks, shortening the barrel, and mounting a brass stacker scout scope mount which is where I come to my problem. If you don't know the Brass Stacker mount installs by replacing the two pins that mount the rear sight block to the dovetail and sitting over the rear sight allowing you too still use it. I was able to knock out the forward pin with two taps, but no matter what I do I can't get the rear pin out. I'm down to two primary theories, one that there is some seriously caked cosmoline sticking it in place, or two that my Mosin was rushed out of the factory so quickly that some tired worker only soldered the rear pin. Either way I need a solution. I was going to drill it out but I don't have a press and NJ's ridiculous gun laws won't let me just take it over to my uncle's shop and use one of his. I don't really want to buy a press, but I also don't know how much it would cost to get a smith to do it. I know no matter what is jamming the pin up I could take a torch to it but I want to know if that idea makes the most sense. So basically, what do you think is jamming up the pin and what do you think I should do to loosen/remove it?
Old June 12, 2014, 12:23 AM   #2
big al hunter

Quote:
basically, what do you think is jamming up the pin and what do you think I should do to loosen/remove it?
65 or so years of corrosion and use....penetrating oil. Try Kroil or Breakfree CLP. Let it soak over night on the left side, then all day on the right. Tap on it again. If it is still tight, more oil over night.
Old June 12, 2014, 12:23 AM   #3
Scorch

Nope, not cosmoline. When they mount the sight on the barrel, they tin the barrel and the sight, drive them together and pin the sight in place, then heat the sight to solder the sight in place. In the process, there is often solder around the rear pin. I have had to drill them out they were in so tight.
Old June 12, 2014, 12:45 PM   #4
CommissarHark

big al hunter- you don't think its solder?
Scorch- if its tin solder should I just try heating the barrel to melt it or would drilling it really be the best option?
Old June 12, 2014, 12:57 PM   #5
tahunua001

give the rear sight a light tap both front and back and lay on the penetrating oil like sea foam or CLP and then it should come right out with a little elbow grease.
Old June 12, 2014, 11:20 PM   #6
big al hunter

I think solder is possible...but I prefer to try the least likely to damage as my first attempt. If all else fails, drill. Heat can damage the metal if done wrong. You want to heat just enough to melt the solder but not enough to change the characteristics of the steel. Not many people can do that accurately with a torch. And you don't know if the solder is 500 degree or 1000 degrees melting temperature. It probably will be lower temp. solder but you can't tell by looking at it.

Tags
mosin nagant , rifle , scout rifle , stuck pin