The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 26, 2013, 09:30 AM   #1
GRyder

Ruger .22 revolvers???

Hi guys and girls, I'm new to this forum and handgun. I just bought a Ruger MK III 22/45 a few weeks ago want a .22 revolver to go along with it. I've narrow it down to two revolver, Ruger's single ten and the sp101 .22. What the pros and cons of each. Since I've never handle or shot a revolver before I figured I'll ask you guys. It'll generally be a plinking and trail gun. Thanks in advance.
Old January 26, 2013, 11:13 AM   #2
PetahW

FWIW, I've found the SP-101 to be pretty heavy in .22 cal, even in the 4" bbl length, much preferring the Ruger single action .22 to it.

I also like the SA balance better.

IMO, lighter = better, in a Trail Gun. (YMMV, though)

Old January 26, 2013, 11:29 AM   #3
savit260

I'd suggest going to a range that rents guns, and try out some single action and double action revolvers and see which you like best.

Double action .22's tend to have heavyish double action triggers in order to reliably light off the rimfire rounds.

Shooting a double action revolver in double action mode is a very different experience than shooting a single action auto-pistol like the MkIII Ruger.

Get good with a double action revolver, and you'll likely be able to shoot anything well. If you really want to devolp good trigger skills, this would be a good investment as the cheap ammo will give you lot's of "trigger time". You can cock the hammer on the SP101 and shoot it single action, but it's a different experience IMO, than shooting a dedicated single action revovler.

The Single Ten is a great gun as well, and the feel and ballance of them is quite nice. These are a ton of fun to shoot , but not everyone digs single actions. The are slower to load and unload than a D/A but many of us (myself included) like the take your time approach of the S/A revolver. For longer distance shots, the longer sight radius of the Single Six/Ten and lighter trigger will be an advantage. The trigger will feel sort of similar to the MkIII as they are both S/A's

Both are nice examples of their particular style of gun.

Myself, I shoot a Colt Officers Model Target for a D/A .22 and on Old Model Single Six for a S/A .22 and love them both.

I can't say which one you'll prefer, but either way you'll be getting a pretty nice revolver.
Old January 26, 2013, 12:13 PM   #4
GRyder

Thanks a bunch. I'm leaning towards the single ten. It has the classic looks and better trigger from what I've read. Also its good for ten vs eight
Old January 26, 2013, 01:33 PM   #5
Leejack

Single Six pros: everything

Single Six cons: nothing
Old January 26, 2013, 02:04 PM   #6
shafter

I have no experience with the Single 10 but I do with the Single Six. It is a great little revolver that is tough, accurate, and easy to pack. I prefer the 5.5 barrel for carrying around but the 6 is great too. I don't think you could go wrong with one.
Old January 26, 2013, 02:13 PM   #7
Ricklin

Convertible or not?

I also own and enjoy a single 6. If Ruger makes the new single 10 in a dedicated .22 LR version I would purchase that vs. the convertible model.

My only disappointment with my convertible single 6 is it is more accurate with .22 Win mag vs. .22 LR.

The barrel bore is one thousandth larger to accommodate the .22 magnum round.

That larger bore has a negative impact on .22 LR accuracy. I can shoot tighter groups with Win mag vs. .22 LR.

My example is quite accurate with win mag, with .22 LR not so much.

.22 Win mag makes for expensive target practice, I think I can shoot my 9mm reloads cheaper.
Old January 26, 2013, 02:26 PM   #8
Pilot

Quite honestly, I'd just use the 22/45 for a plinking and trail gun. It doesn't get much better, especially if you remove the LCI and mag disconnect. (had to get that in )

I often carry my MKII era 22/45 with 4 in. bull barrel as a woods gun, but I also use the all steel MK II 5.5 Target for this as well. Both are accurate and reliable, and built like tanks.
Old January 26, 2013, 02:52 PM   #9
jason_iowa

I have a Taurus 94 and a smith 617. I like both of em better then the rugers I looked at. The smith is worth 2x the price of the Taurus though imo
Old January 26, 2013, 03:28 PM   #10
GRyder

I could use the 22/45 as a trail gun but it is going to be my project pistol and it's just not as fun as a revolver! How's the S&W 617 compare to the sp101 22?
Old January 26, 2013, 04:39 PM   #11
savit260

The 617 is in a different league than the SP-101.

It's a descendant of one of the finest target revolvers of all time, the model K-22 (later called the model 17).

In S&W speak 6 indicates stainless steel...

The 617 I used to own was one of the most accurate guns I've ever owned.

They are available in 6 and 10 shot configurations.

They are a good bit more expensive than either of the Rugers.

The basic ergonomics of the 617 are very good being that it's a mid size frame.

The K and L frame S&W's seem to fit most peoples hands very well.

The only drawback IMO, is that they used to (may still, but probably not) ship with those Houge rubber grips that may or may not fit your hand. There are a ton of aftermarket and stock S&W grips available to correct this.

The rubbers that the newer S&W's have been shipping are with a big improvement IMO.

SUPERB .22 double action.

EDIT TO ADD: looks like the new ones ARE shipping with the much improved (IMO) S&W rubber grips.

Figure on $750+ for a new one. Possibly a more for a used pre-lock version.

Last edited by savit260; January 26, 2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old January 26, 2013, 05:20 PM   #12
Zhillsauditor

Having fired both the SP101 and 617, I'd give a large edge to the 617. However, in the 6" flavor, it is a heavy (and not well balanced IMO) gun. The 4" 617 is better. If you are not set on stainless steel, a model 17 can be had used for a lot less than a new 617 (although usually more than a new SP101).
Old January 26, 2013, 06:00 PM   #13
skidder

I had problems with my k-22 (later designated model 17). Misfires and cylinder binding. Both were resolved with endshake bearings and a new mainspring, but if you want a revolver that just keeps working... I'd go with the SP101.

I'm not a big fan of SA revolvers. To me DA holds the greater advantage in shooting and SD. That being said the Single 10/6 is fun to shoot. I had one in my younger days and it was a fun plinker. Killed a lot of small game with my old Single Six.
Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old January 26, 2013, 06:38 PM   #14
stevej

This is my Lipsey S10

Great shooter and less time to reload. Was over to a friends home who is trying to teach me to shoot and he is deadly with my S10. He has a blue 4" GP100 and a small Colt revolver, sorry don't know the model, and he shots my S10 better than his guns. Me I shot my 4" SS GP better than my S10, Lite or SR9c. Bought both the SR and GP used and the trigger on the SR is scary, it's so light. Think I like revolvers better than semi-auto.
Old January 26, 2013, 07:27 PM   #15
GRyder

Ok guys thanks for all the input. while the 617 had great reviews the price was over my budget and my LGS didn't have one so I settle on the single ten. What a great piece I have to say. Maybe I'll save up for the 617 one day but for now I'm satisfy!
Old January 27, 2013, 02:54 PM   #16
Obambulate

The Single Ten should provide a couple lifetimes of shooting enjoyment. Great choice.
Old January 27, 2013, 03:05 PM   #17
stepmac

A Ruger Single Six with the .22/.22 mag cylinder is a wonderful pistol, but if you can get a Bearcat that shoots to the sights it will be one of the best guns you will ever own. They are wonderful plinkers and fit easily in the hand. Women have no trouble holding them. They ride easily on your hip.

I've had two Bearcats. Both first models. One shot great and the other not so. The sights are fixed. You can work on a fixed sight some, to make it shoot point of aim.

I like the old west loading gate system, but the flip out cylinder is quicker to reload.

I am a big fan of Ruger 22's of all kinds. The autos are very nice pistols, but a little hard on the thumbs when reloading.

Bearcats are not cheap! I paid $36 for my first one!
Old January 27, 2013, 09:56 PM   #18
seeker_two

If size matters.....

http://www.lipseysguns.com/post/Ruge...ess-22-LR.aspx
Old January 27, 2013, 10:28 PM   #19
dalegribble

i have a 22/22mag single six that i like. having 4 extra shots can't be a bad thing
Old January 27, 2013, 11:47 PM   #20
Hammerhead

The old Singles Sixes are great.
The new Single 10 have a big, ugly plastic sight up front.

Sp101's are heavy, but nice. I have an older 6 shot half lug model I like. But again, the new version has a big, ugly plastic sight up front.

I would rather have 6 shots in an all metal gun.
Old January 27, 2013, 11:48 PM   #21
rclark

No contest : Single Six convertible ....

As said above ... no cons.

I don't like the front sight of the single ten (but that can be changed out). And for aesthetics, the Single-Ten is just wrong . A Single Action is a 'six-shooter'.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old January 28, 2013, 12:04 AM   #22
Dragline45

Personally I would go with the SP101 .22 over the single six. Both are good choices, but when I plink with .22's I always like to do some rapid fire practice which the SP101 would be better suited for. Plus you can always cock the hammer back on the SP101 if you want to shoot it in single action.

Quote:
Get good with a double action revolver, and you'll likely be able to shoot anything well.
I 100% agree with this. My first gun was a double action revolver, and if you can master a double action trigger, you can shoot just about anything.
Old January 28, 2013, 01:50 AM   #23
Sevens

Said in a post above, in reference to the Single Ten:
Quote:
Great shooter and less time to reload.
Uhhh, what, how? I think that takes MORE time to reload. You don't do it as often, however.

I realize that the world has long had a wild love affair with the Ruger Single Six and many/most feel the Single Ten is simply more of a great thing. I can't really argue against that successfully...afterall, when ya love something, you won't be talked out of it.

But for as much as I love revolvers, I just have trouble warming up to any/all single actions. And the smaller the holes are, the longer it takes me to warm to 'em.

And it's truly NOT that I'm in some kind of crazy hurry. But the short rotation...stabbing the little ejector through...ensure you didn't rotate a WEE bit too far (or ya gotta SKIP it and come back around to it!), man, that really gets old in a hurry.

I love a double action. Loading is certainly easier and more enjoyable. Ejecting the spent empties is light years more enjoyable. If we are talking pros & cons...I'm not saying it has to be a deal breaker, but can't we be a bit honest? The ultra-slow loading & unloading of any hogleg compared to a DA wheelgun, it's night and day.

And a Single TEN?! It's nearly half again as much.

I own one single action revolver and it's enough for me. I'm somewhere under ten DA's... I'm absolutely certain I haven't stopped buying them.
Old January 28, 2013, 03:31 AM   #24
BIG P

Another 1 for the single-six convertible,love the 22mag opp.mine is 9.5 dang thing shoots like a rifle whats not to like.
Old January 28, 2013, 10:30 AM   #25
GRyder

I'm pretty new to gun and revolver at that but, i think the single ten wasn't meant to be a speed shooter and I didn't intended it to be one. I agree it can be a pain to load and unload but I like the appeal of the SA, the little clicking sounds as you pull the trigger back, and the smooth action. I think I'll be in the market for a bigger caliber DA revolver for SD.... Shall I say LCR in .357???