The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 25, 2011, 10:29 AM   #1
two 70

new Hornady powder

My local FFL gave me a pound of Hodgdon's Hornady superformance for test purposes but loading data so far is limited. I have tried the Hornady factory varmint load with 53 gr. V-max with excellent results in my mini-14 target rifle and would like to try to duplicate results with handloads. Anybody been playing around with this new rocket science (as advertised) propellant?

Gun Control is not having to say I missed you.
Old May 29, 2011, 01:44 AM   #2
A_Gamehog

I have had various results with this powder, the new Hornady load book has no data for the .223. It's a Ball powder and measures easily. My 22-250 had an accurate load I tested but I got the same velocity and accuracy with another powder (Varget). It does measure easy, and it's less affected by temp. changes , that's all I can say good about it..All things being equal I would use Varget or 8208XBR.

Old June 2, 2011, 05:08 PM   #3
two 70

new hornady powder

Thanks for the reply Gamehog. Looks to be a better 22-250 powder. Use Varget myself but may pull bullets on a few factory loads to see what Hornady is putting in their Varmint loads and see if I can get close to advertised velocity. Mainly interested due to the fact that this powder should meter real well.

Gun Control is not having to say I missed you.
Old June 2, 2011, 05:10 PM   #4
Doyle

I wonder when Quickload will add it to their powder list.
Old June 2, 2011, 05:52 PM   #5
A_Gamehog

FYI, they use a powder we can't buy. Most ammo companies have access to powders we can't buy with civilian supply/pipelines. Hornady's 204 ruger is another issue, we can't get the velocity they get from factory ammo, and the powders are coated with another unknown chemical to change it's properties.

The 43 grain max load for the 60 grain V-Max in the 22-250 loads is a hot load, the primers were flat and increased bolt lift. I also loaded 43 grains with the new 53's and 55's with loud reports from the same gun. The harmonics were off. They state emphatically to use thier powder (superformance) with bullets and guidelines they have provided. The 43 grain load with the 53 V_Max was 1.25" @ 200 yards though. I get 1/2" @ 200 yards with 36.2 of 4064 IMR and the 53-V_max though.

Not the most stable of powders but very dependable @ 75 degrees and less for me. I still have lots of Varget and 8208 to load but just wanted to get rid of all my old (IMR) powders first.