The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 21, 2012, 05:32 PM   #1
HamsterHamster

Shall I use Anti-Seize on my removable choke?

My Baikal SxS comes with removable choke tubes. They are a bit gritty from factory and I am a bit leery when changing them out, especially with the fine light thread.

My question is, should I apply automotive anti-seize the the threads for good measure?

Also does anyone know if I can get aftermarket steel choke tubes for the baikal?

Any suggestions on how to clean up the internal threads so the chokes comes out real nice.
Old September 21, 2012, 05:50 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

There are special lubes made for chokes or you can use a standard anti-seize.
Most gun shops will have one or two, or you can order from Brownell's or Midway.

Clean the threads of the tubes and the barrel by using a bore solvent and a brass "toothbrush" to scrub them.

For extra tube, check with EAA, the current importer:

http://eaacorp.com/blog/2010/10/29/b...-back-at-ussg/
Old September 21, 2012, 05:55 PM   #3
BigJimP

Lubricate and clean ...the threads inside the barrel ( with Break Free CLP ) ...use a toothbrush or whatever to get in there....and same thing on the choke tube threads...

get them both real clean....and then use Break free again ( a lot of it ) ...to lube the threads inside the barrel ...and the choke tube threads....

My concept is ....they should go in and out of the gun smoothly ...with no hitches...by just finger pressure / put a finger inside the tube and run it into the gun. If it grabs at all going in or out ....repeat the cleaning ....and do it again and again until they go in and out.

and clean the darn things inside and out ....after every range trip.

Briley Mfg has chokes for the Baikals ...they use the TruChoke system last I knew...and I think Briley sells them for around $ 20 - $25.

If you can't get those threads to work cleanly ....you might need to "chase" the threads....but be really careful / because if you screw up those threads ..it can get expensive.

And if you have a choke tube wrench ...put it away / and only use those things in emergencies...when you can't get a choke out of the gun with finger pressure....but choke tube wrenches screw up a lot of guns cause guys crossthread them and then crank em in there..without realizing what they're doing.
Old September 21, 2012, 05:57 PM   #4
jaguarxk120

You can use any automotive grease. The Mobil red stuff is best. The choke tubes should be removed for cleaning when you clean the barrel. That is after every shooting session.

The automotive antiseize is a metal base type and the stuff will get everywhere, and is hard to clean off!!!
Old September 21, 2012, 05:58 PM   #5
PetahW

You could also use the anti-sieze grease, sold for applying to modern inline muzzleloader's removeable breechplug's threads.

Old September 21, 2012, 06:12 PM   #6
Virginian

I use Nickel Never-Seez on my field gun chokes. I do not change them afield, and will sometimes leave them in for weeks, assuming no rain and not dunkings. Do NOT get it on your clothes. It is forever.
I just use RemOil or whatever on my extended clay target chokes. I change them with my fingers and clean them all off when I get home.
Old September 22, 2012, 10:41 AM   #7
shortwave

I use Remoil Dry Lube w/ Teflon. Never had an issue.

Like BigJimP posted in a very good response, making sure the threads in bbl and choke is clean with no burrs is very important. Chokes must thread in very easily by hand. If you can feel a "catch" while threading, find out the reason and fix it.
Old September 23, 2012, 12:19 AM   #8
340 Weatherby

First clean the gun with the chokes in place then remove them and clean again. Jim may be right about having the threads chased by a gunsmith. That Russian dude, working in a cave in Siberia, might have been shivering too much when he threaded your barrels.

Last edited by 340 Weatherby; September 23, 2012 at 12:20 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old September 23, 2012, 04:37 PM   #9
Orphanedcowboy

I use this:

It's free, we can no longer use it for assembly after it expires.

I just use a small oil base paint brush with the brush portion trimmed to about a 1/4", doesn't get everywhere and stays put.

The $1 tube at the auto parts store works just fine also.
Old October 3, 2012, 10:24 AM   #10
jrothWA

Does not matter what you use...

As long as you clean both thread areas and lube them!
Old October 3, 2012, 11:07 AM   #11
Virginian

Loctite now makes it in a Chapstick like tube version. It's the cat's meow in my book. No spills and a little dab'll do ya.
Old October 3, 2012, 11:33 AM   #12
shortwave

V-in-LA,
I saw that the other day when I was at NAPA and was going to pick a stick up. Left out of there and forgot to get it.

Has to be a lot less messy then the jar and brush or the tube.
Old October 18, 2012, 03:38 PM   #13
publius

I just smear a little white lithium grease on my choke tubes. Works great.
Old October 19, 2012, 06:51 AM   #14
droptrd

I use white lithium too. Just a hair. I guess if you keep it clean and lubed with some kind of lubricant you should be worry free.
Old October 19, 2012, 07:10 AM   #15
Chaz88

I always manage to forget to bring the choke lube. I always have a small bottle of gun oil and I just use a drop of that and have had no problems. It is not the best option but works.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old October 19, 2012, 08:48 AM   #16
Rifleman1776

I don't shoot my shotgun very often, long story, it is a sorta 'emergency' tool at my house.
But, I have used the following on the choke threads and all worked just fine:
WD-40, beeswax, Break-Free and Ballistol.
Old October 19, 2012, 01:40 PM   #17
natman

Anti seize is the best, but it stains everything it touches forever. I'd use it if I had a gun that didn't have to have the choke changed very often, like a duck gun where you're happy with Mod choke and plan to stick with it.

If you have a gun where the choke tubes get changed a lot, I'd use a clear grease like Superlube.

Any sort of oil is a distant third, but far better than nothing.

Tags
baikal , chokes , steel shot , sxs.