The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 27, 2010, 06:06 PM   #1
orsogato

Beretta Stampede Grips

Picked up a Beretta Stampede the other day. NOT because it was my first choice in single action .45s, but because it was like new in the box and priced at $365 because the local dealer had a sale going on. So in other words even though I would have preferred to have done without the transfer bar safety and the stupid buffalos on the grips, I picked up the gun.

My first choice was a USFA but the one they had in the shop had a snubby bbl and was about $500 more than the Beretta.

Now for my question: Does anybody know where a good selection of different grips would be? I may go imitation ivory, or even if somebody made a fake "Rampant Pony" rubber style grip, I'd go for that. I like the gun so far. The trigger is great, its nice and tight and super accurate.

I just have to 86 those stupid Buffalos. Also the Beretta trident may look cool on a 20th century military pistol, but not on a 19th century western gun.

Lastly, would real Colt hard rubber grips fit on this gun?

Thanks for the info!!
Old January 27, 2010, 08:18 PM   #2
gak

I had new 3rd gen Colt "hard rubber" grips installed on my c.2007/8 Cimarron...also a Uberti, but I don't know if the grip frames are identical or not to yours. My gun had the original one piece wood grips that--due to the finish--i was not all that keen on. In my case, because they were not the two piece Colt type grips--presumably yours are with the center screw/escutcheon--my smith actually had to create a boss/pin on the grip frame for the stock Colt locator holes. Because his Colt eagle grips were oversized, they--uniquely--could be "tuned" to fit the Cim grip frame. A long way of saying it (anything) can be done. My process was probably more complicated than yours needs to be because my base condition was different, but the results (to me) were worth it...and there'almost a 100% chance yours can be made to work but also very likely also requiring some finetuning. My gun was also antiqued, so I further antiqued the new Colt grips to match and look aged 19th/early 20th century...perfect/cannot tell from 1st gen eagles unless you're a Colt expert, and couldn't be happier. PM me for pics and more details as I know them.

All of the above said, someone like gripmakers, gungrip, eagle, etc, I'm sure has Beretta Stampede specific panels that'd be less hassle than my approach (but almost certainly not the hard rubber type). I wanted the original Colt hard rubber look...and the options to fit Ubertis out of the box were not plentiful--at least at the time of my project...but not everyone (obviously) wants that look. Another route is Uberti itself. Many of its new base models have fairly plain checkered hard rubber grips--like this..
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=155482001
although the ones I've seen have been attached to the even "lesser" flat finish models you see at the large warehouse sporting stores. I saw them in 2009 on the Uberti site as well (on that gun), but don't now. You might inquire with them directly.

Ditto, some new--at least in 2009--Cimarrons come with similar grips (their site is not very helpful in this regard btw), but they come with glitzy (to me) small gold emplems where some later Colts had (optional or aftermarket)...The "Ubertis" don't have that emblem that I recall.

Last edited by gak; January 27, 2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old January 28, 2010, 10:36 AM   #3
orsogato

Thanks for the info GAK. I think I like the plain Uberti grips in the GB link better than the Stampede Grips. I'll look into that.

By the way, taking the good with the bad, I'm overall happy with the gun at the price I paid for it.
Old January 28, 2010, 03:08 PM   #4
Lashlarue

My 357 Cimarron grips are plain oiled walnut, one piece if that matters. I am a man of simple tastes, even laquered walnut is a bit much for me! Even faux case hardening is a turnoff for me.I find beauty in simplicity..
Old June 3, 2012, 03:11 AM   #5
Blitzspeer

Beretta Stampede

I like the black grips with the bull on them,so it just goes to show people like what they like and I'm happy to not live in 1873 when there were no good anesthesia's and not even an aspirin for pain around and don't even bother going to a dentist.I have this gun in .357mag a caliber that wasn't introduced til 1934,so having a transfer bar which is great and bull's on my gun is fine with me,if you were dead set on going totally pro vintage then buy a Colt and shoot only soft lead bullets.I love the guys who try to relive an era they were never in.
Old June 3, 2012, 09:13 AM   #6
newfrontier45

Quote:
I love the guys who try to relive an era they were never in.
Wonderfully condescending first post! If you're happy with a factory sixgun, that is fine. Just don't begrudge those of us for whom single actions are a passion, rather than just another gun in the range bag. Those of us who like custom touches on all our sixguns, not to mention full-blown customs. Those of us who have custom stocks of traditional materials and in traditional shapes on all of our sixguns. Those of us who prefer traditional gunleather to modern Kydex. In other words, don't look down your nose at those of us who are more devoted to our shooting. It has nothing to do with wishing we were born in the 1800's or "reliving an era we were never in".

PS, this thread has been dead for over 2yrs.

PSS, the .357 cartridge is all blast and no substance. It's a lot of pressure and noise but not much more. The big bores, even at SAA pressure levels, are far more effecient and effective without making your ears bleed. And there's not a thing wrong with cast bullets, they have been used successfully on the largest game animals on earth. You have a lot to learn.
Old June 3, 2012, 09:39 AM   #7
BlkHawk73

Klamath River Woodworking makes awesome grips.