The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 17, 2008, 10:41 PM   #1
Juhosaphat

Saiga 20

So I first wanted a semi-auto shotgun. Then I heard that Saiga shotguns weren't being imported anymore. The next day I walked into my local shop and they had a Saiga 20 with factory 5 round mag for 279+tax. I'm picking it up this month. I'm just wondering if anybody else has had any experience with the 20 gauge model? I know the Saiga 12 is the more popular model for obvious reasons, but the 20 isn't too far behind now that they stopped importing them.

Also, does anybody know of any good sites to find accessories for them?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

-Chad
Old April 17, 2008, 10:49 PM   #2
chris in va

Who told you they stopped importing them? Haven't heard that.
Old April 17, 2008, 10:52 PM   #3
Juhosaphat

Everywhere I go and read is saying that the importing of the Saiga shotguns has stopped. That's why when you go on GunBroker, Saiga 12's are going for around 7-800+. Figured it was a good investment at the time and would be a fun gun to take shooting. Just wanted to know if anybody has had any experience with them or any problems.
Old April 18, 2008, 11:15 AM   #4
Logs

Watched a guy 2 weeks ago at my club go through several rounds with his 12 GA Saiga. He told me he paid $650. Nice looking gun, but I don't have the $$$ for a new toy. Gun functioned fine.
Old April 18, 2008, 05:02 PM   #5
Boris Bush

My dealer can still get them for cheap.......... Before I moved I killed uncountable numbers of crows with a 20 gauge SAIGA (sold it to my brother). The choke was full and was so freakin tight with #4s and #5s that I could reach out pretty far. I put an AK buffer in it and put it on the light load setting, the #2 setting and it ate everything that fit in the magazines. It is also the only shotgun I could get to bumpfire and the cyclic rate is lightyears faster than what we are used to here in the USA. Despite its full choke the fixed barrel threw slugs of every kind into nice deer killing small groups at 50 yards.

I was thinking of getting another just because the one I had was so reliable, cheap, and I didn't mind beating the heck out of it and it needed very little cleaning that was easy and fast when I did.............
Old April 18, 2008, 09:56 PM   #6
Juhosaphat

What about accessories for it? Like bigger mags and whatnot? Any good sites out there to deck a Saiga 20 out with? I know the Saiga 12 body parts will fit, but what about muzzles or clips and what not?
Old April 18, 2008, 10:50 PM   #7
.351winchester

You can get 8 round mags, check Arms of America, or the auction sites-forthehunt.com, gunsamerica.com

Very dissapointing news. I guess there's still time to get one but unfortunately I need too much other stuff first, whether I miss this window or not. If they were still under 400. for the 20 then hell yeah, but not now especially with mag prices.
Old April 19, 2008, 01:05 PM   #8
Juhosaphat

Still can't find bigger than a 5 shot mag anywhere I want to have all my ducks in order for when I go to pick it up so I know where to start Although I did read somewhere that they're going to be coming out with more 20 accessories some time this fall. So we'll see how things go
Old April 19, 2008, 02:22 PM   #9
john1911

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showforum=3

Lots of info on the S20 here.

I haven't heard a thing about ceasing importation. I would consider it a myth right now.