The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 28, 2007, 11:28 AM   #26
Bob F.

Weird stuff happens with bullets! Calls (EMS) I've personally run: 10yo boy shot w/ .22lr in rt temple, point blank, 90*. We were only a couple minutes away, probably less than one minute on-scene (knocked deputy over going out the door), 2 medics and 1 EMT/driver on truck (darned good crew, if I do say so myself), 7-8 minute run-time, excellent ER doc waiting with "all-hands".
1st x-ray showed onset of brain-shift (bad sign). Bullet entered, then curved upward at the midline and lodged against inside of skull at the top of his head. He was subsequentially discharged 10 days later w/ no neuro deficits.

14 yo female shot point blank, .38 Spec WC target load. Entered below left eye penetrating the sinus cavity. When I arrived she was sitting on door-step finger sweeping bloody muscus out of her mouth, large swollen area at base of neck on right shoulder. Bullet had actually lodged in C-1, fracturing it and a fragment had passed just above the bifurcation (read Y) of the carotid, between the arms of the "Y". She was "trached" the next day but discharged sometime later, physically fit.

Both the above were alert and talked all the way to the hospital, about 20 minutes in the second case.

Young (20's) adult male. .25ACP to mid-sternum (breast bone) and aslo to left ribs. Found face down in grass w/ arms folded under head. When we rolled him over he said :"Oh, God, I can't breathe".
Arrested about 4-5 minutes later, now only 2 minutes out. Could not be resusitated. X-ray showed 1 bullet lodged very near spine. ER Doc said probably died of spinal shock.

Stuff happens. Sometimes it's just not your time, sometimes it is.

As for OP, I always like the poster of the heron/stork? swallowing the frog, except the frog has the heron by the throat:"NEVER give up!" Glad your buds OK! Buy him a cold one from me.

Stay safe.
Bob
Old June 28, 2007, 11:56 AM   #27
Freetacos

There was a guy around here at USC a while back who was grazed in the head by a bullet fired from gangsters fighting each other in the streets. He is a lucky man indeed.
Old June 28, 2007, 03:15 PM   #28
markj

Quote:
10yo boy shot w/ .22lr in rt temple, point blank
or 21 year old boy in left temple with 22lr, died on the scene, my brother at dads house, friday after moms day. I cleaned it up. I will never understand why tho.
Old June 28, 2007, 04:25 PM   #29
ibfestus

Location: Smack dab in the middle of it... The good ol' USA that is.
.25 Acp

Any bullet can and will do unbelievable things. I personally witnessed a fight where one dude had another in a bear hug from behind. The guy in front shot other guy 5 times point blank with a .25 Baretta. Not one round penetrated the skin.

In another case one BG with a .25 fired 3 rounds and had 3 1 shot kills. Go figure.

If you watch Dillon's Machine Gun movie, you can see a .50 BMG round deflected 45 degrees by a piece of styrofoam... yet they say that 6.5 FMJ in Dallas do what it did!!
Old June 28, 2007, 04:28 PM   #30
Bob F.

Mark: So sorry to hear about your brother. No words, really. Ya' just never know. FWIW not sure it's worth the effort trying to figure out "why?'

Used to tell the FNG's on the squad: "Ya gotta be good at what you do (EMS), people are depending on you. Go out there and do your best, but remember: ultimately it's between them and God."

I've seen codes go textbook perfect but the patient died, and I've seen everything go wrong and the patient lived anyway.

Go figure.
Bob
Old June 28, 2007, 04:30 PM   #31
cpaspr

Markj -

My condolences. That's a hard one to understand. And you never forget.
Old June 28, 2007, 06:41 PM   #32
nbk2000

Getting shot in the head...

I saw some TV show where some black kid who was shot in the head point-blank by a .44 magnum had his skull blown open and half his brain removed.

Now what makes this interesting is that not only did the kid live, but he made a full recovery and went on to graduate high-school (amazing in itself).

This was, of course, a one-in-a-million miracle and not to be expected when shot in the head with a .44 magnum, but it does show that nothing is impossible...just extremely improbable.
Old June 28, 2007, 07:14 PM   #33
kgpcr

99% of the head shots that live are grazing shots. you can get hit with a .50cal and live through that and live, i have seen it. took a streak out of his hip and he never knew he was hit. stiches and an ugly bruise and he rejoined out unit a week or two later. straight on with a .50call and itd a headless person. can i win the powerball lottery? sure but it aint gonna happen. there is a huge tendancy to way over exagerate things on this board in my opinion but thats just my .02. he took 5 to the chest with a .357 mag and he walked a mile to the hospital and was released two days later. i just dont beleive those stories at all. it turns out he was hit once i the lower abdomen and the bullet never hit anything major and thats the real story.
Smith M&P 40
Old June 28, 2007, 09:32 PM   #34
Groundhog

After testing my 9mm on a bowling pin, I choose to aim at soft parts!

"Remember, a valid point never overrules a family tradition." - Me
Old June 29, 2007, 01:40 AM   #35
chris in va

There was an episode of Dr G Medical Examiner recently involving an older 22 revolver. In the end it was found the thing went off after getting knocked off an ironing board.

However, the bullet entered the guy's forhead, travelled around the skull between the skin and lodged behind his ear. Not once did it actually penetrate the skull. The guy died from it somehow.

Or how about the very recent news story about a woman waking up suddenly by a noise and accidentally shooting her husband with a 32 in the head. Bullet didn't do much, article said "non-life threatening injury". She didn't dial 911 because both are felons.

I personally witnessed the aftermath of two 22 shots to the head. The guy's body was laying on the sidewalk for hours as they did the investigation. I moved from the area shortly thereafter.
Old June 29, 2007, 03:19 AM   #36
shy_man

Those stories being shot between the eyes and got through at the back of the head, then after few seconds the victim called the police and treated to a hospital and end to jail is unbelievable. Do you know how strong a .357 when you shoot someone. Use a factory ammo and fired it on the range without ear protector and it will shatter your hearing, and I may read stories like this that it seems the .357 is an ineffective cartridge, it make me...
Old June 29, 2007, 07:52 AM   #37
buzz_knox

Quote:
Do you know how strong a .357 when you shoot someone. Use a factory ammo and fired it on the range without ear protector and it will shatter your hearing, and I may read stories like this that it seems the .357 is an ineffective cartridge, it make me...
Would you believe full load 12 gauge slugs bouncing off the edge of a baseball cap brim? How about .223s? If you don't believe me, ask Louis Awerbuck. It happens from time to time when dealing with his movers (which has clothed Tactical Ted targets).

Bullets do weird things all the time. When you consider the angles involved, the surface tension of skin (which holds the bullets inside the scalp after they ricochet off the skull) and the amazing ability of the human body to keep going even when injured (or dead on its feet), you start to understand why what you expect to happen, is often the thing that doesn't happen.