The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 20, 2012, 08:56 AM   #26
reloader28

Go with the Lee classic cast press. Its a heavy duty press thats made in the USA. I think its a good press.

I have two older RCBS Rock Chucker presses and they are nice, but I cannot recommend the Supreme press at all. It feels flimsy compared to the older presses and the piece of junk is made in chinkville commie China.
Old November 20, 2012, 09:58 PM   #27
45YearsShooting

The "RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit" is now on sale at Cabelas for $249.99, according to a Christmas sale catalog I just received in the mail today. Sale prices effective Nov 22-28 only. Item code LHC-21-8212.
Old November 21, 2012, 09:28 PM   #28
Cowboy_mo

I started reloading about a year ago with the Lee kit and a few extras like case trimming tools, etc.

I hated the Lee scale so found a very good used RCBS scale on ebay for about 1/2 the cost of a new one. I worked out great.

I have all RCBS dies (all purchased on ebay) for about 1/2 the cost of new die sets. The Lee dies are cheaper and a buddy of mine swears by them. Don't count out the 'slightly used' stuff especially in dies.

The $69... for the Lee kit at the pawn shop sounds like a good deal if it is complete. Check out the Lee site for a complete list of what comes in the kit.

Good luck, enjoy your new hobby, and be safe by closely following the instructions in whatever manual you invest in.
Old December 4, 2012, 08:52 PM   #29
gary24153

Book question

I see multiple books titled ABC's of Reloading, what author do you suggest?
Old December 5, 2012, 05:01 PM   #30
JimDandy

They should all be hte same, the one I have is an Ebook, 9th Edition, Edited by C Rodney James is all the info I have.
Old December 5, 2012, 06:31 PM   #31
Magnum Mike

Quote:
I will not be loading more than 1-200 rounds per month
Yah right! You say that now!
Old December 5, 2012, 06:52 PM   #32
sserdlihc

I started out with a Lee Anniversary kit then added other things along the way as I became more profecient. Added an RCBS powder trickler, dies, electronic scale, and a case tumbler.
Over the years I have probably spent more money on powder that didn't perform as well as I thought it should, than anything else. But that is the only way for me to find out what works and what doesn't
Old December 5, 2012, 08:30 PM   #33
Lost Sheep

What author? There isn't one

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary24153
Book question
I see multiple books titled ABC's of Reloading, what author do you suggest?
The ABC's of Reloading is a compilation of articles written by many different authors and assembled by editors. Over the years, the editors changed and the authors, of course, are a wide variety. That is one of the great things about "this" (these?) book. You get to read a variety of different writing styles and if you find one the particularly "speaks" to you find other books or articles written by that person. Also, some people write emphasizing some areas of reloading and covering others only lightly. This difference in attention paid is more relevant to the question, "Is one manual enough?" The real question, though, is, "Is there any number of manuals that is too many?"

But the first one should be The ABC's of Reloading. (My opinion) Virtually all manuals have their early chapters devoted to "How to Reload", though, so if you can't find "ABC's", don't wait. I like Lyman's, but any will do to start.

Thanks for asking our advice and welcome to the forum.

Lost Sheep
Old December 26, 2012, 09:17 PM   #34
bigcurt

What to buy

Go with the Dillion you want regret it i have been using Dillion stuff for 23 years and am very happy. I have a RCBS Rock Chucker for small loading jobs nothing wrong with rcbs but sounds like you are going to want a Dillion .
Old December 28, 2012, 06:44 PM   #35
whiskyrunner

my apologies for being late on responding here, I have used that little challenger press to load about 200 rounds of .223, havent tried anything wierd, just trying to get the hang of reloading again, 1 step at a time. but i can forsee some upgrades in the near future.