The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old February 8, 2007, 09:14 PM   #1
RangerVA

.10 cent per round Ammo tax

County takes a shot at 10-cent-a-bullet tax
http://www.suntimes.com/news/politic...ammo08.article

Quote:
What could be the nation's first tax on bullets is being floated as a way to help balance Cook County's budget.

Commissioner Roberto Maldonado wants to slap a 10-cent-a-bullet tax on those buying ammunition in the county. It's one of dozens of plans offered to close the county's $500 million budget deficit.

The plan comes as the County Board raids the Forest Preserve District for $13 million, demands millions more from state government and considers slapping fees on SUVs, towed cars and other items. It's all being discussed to try to lessen the impact of thousands of job cuts, as proposed by Board President Todd Stroger.

Stroger said he'll listen to any ideas to increase fees but wouldn't change his commitment to a no-tax pledge.
This is not good!
Old February 8, 2007, 09:19 PM   #2
Anon

Will just drive ammo sales out of the area.

I imagine Dillon, Lee, and RCBS don't see this as bad news!
Old February 8, 2007, 09:21 PM   #3
RangerVA

Thats gonna kill the local shops
Old February 8, 2007, 09:39 PM   #4
Slugthrower

So... A 500 round brick of .22LR that was $10.00 will now cost $60.00 ...

Politicians
Old February 8, 2007, 10:40 PM   #5
Anon

And politicians do math like this:

If we sold 1,000,000 bullets last year, and we tax them at 10cents each, we'll get $100,000 this year!

Um, no. Because no one will buy bullets in your area anymore. And since they are out of town, buying ammo, they'll probably do some shopping while they're out there (so you lose more sales tax).

The UPS guy in that area will be pissed about having to lug all that lead around everyday, from the Internet sales!
Old February 8, 2007, 10:51 PM   #6
Coloma

It suck's! but it won't matter to must Gun owner's I know in Cook County (Chicago), most of them leave Cook County and go somewhere else to shoot and buy gun's and ammo. I know that's what my family and friends do.
Old February 8, 2007, 11:44 PM   #7
G-Cym

Try Crook County.
Old February 9, 2007, 12:28 AM   #8
Rimrod

You can expect a huge crime increase in Cook County. It will be all the guys bootlegging ammo.
Old February 9, 2007, 12:32 AM   #9
Danzig

I don't think it will fly. I hope it won't. But Illinois is one of the most anti gun states..so it may.
Old February 9, 2007, 01:20 AM   #10
Dreadnought

How about... Stop spending so much money on the government? I'd bet several tens of those millions will be found to have been mismanaged and/or embezzled. I'm sure there are some offices, like Cook County "Office of Interior Decorating" , which can be downsized.
Old February 9, 2007, 04:22 AM   #11
quintos

upcoming tax increase on ammo.

On another forum I heard that in the in the near future later this year or next year their is going to be a substantial tax increase on ammo around 20% if I remember correctly someone claimed they had this information from the "inside" sources. I don't know if this correct but I wonder it could have some truth.
Old February 9, 2007, 11:33 AM   #12
Eghad

Stupidity.... That means anybody buying large quantities of ammo will simply buy it outside the county if they commute and those who dont might double up and do all thier shopping outside the county to save on gas if they have to buy ammo.

NRA Life Member
Old February 9, 2007, 05:07 PM   #13
littlmak

It could have something to do with the post election jitters, or a recent news blurb about California banning lead bullets and taxing ammo to clean up lead contamination around outdoor ranges. Of course if the Democrats gain control of the gov. I think taxes may go up on everything.
Old February 9, 2007, 05:27 PM   #14
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

Overall increase in price due to the burgeoning metal markets, being driven by China. The Dems have stated they want to raise taxes on many items, and would not e surprising if ammo is one of them.

Moving this to General.

Denny
Old February 9, 2007, 05:38 PM   #15
rangermonroe

Bootleg .22lr. I can imagine the 6 o'clock news with an ammo seizure.

Kinda like NYC and smokes.
Old February 9, 2007, 08:54 PM   #16
litauer

This stupid ordinance died today when it failed to generate a second when introduced before the Cook County board, a collection of genuine nitwits.
Old February 9, 2007, 10:13 PM   #17
mvpel

At least nobody was nitwit enough to second the motion.
1 Samuel 13:19
Old February 9, 2007, 10:18 PM   #18
Bud Helms

Threads from L&P and General Discussion merged.
Old February 10, 2007, 10:49 PM   #19
sparkysteve

I'd be looking outside the county to buy ammo. Just like the people I know who leave MI for IN to buy smokes because they are $5.50 a pack here. About $1.50 a pack in taxes.

Dont tread on me.
Old February 10, 2007, 11:56 PM   #20
Webleymkv

Or those who go farther south because they're even cheaper in KY. Mail order ammo could get a boost in Chicago.
Old February 11, 2007, 12:55 AM   #21
Musketeer

Quote:
Thats gonna kill the local shops
I would think this is the real motivation. It would probably pass in Crook county as well.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old February 11, 2007, 10:02 AM   #22
Slugthrower

Taxes, taxes,taxes... Tax, in my mind, is just another word for burden.

Let's burden many people and companies till we break their backs. First tax... 1 dollar per can of beer. 10 dollars per bottle of liquor. How about 10 dollars per can of beer for politicians, and 100 dollars per bottle of liquor for them as well. Second tax... 100% increase,of present total cost, on coffee and soft drinks. You sinners... repent. We also need a tax on breathing, one cent per respiration. It only makes sense , as you know CO2 is a green house gas. We should also pay our protection tax to the Islamic fascists. Maybe 1/2 of our GDP would be fair. :barf:

Politicians... economic experts at destruction of free markets and free societies. These folks are brain dead and we still see them in office.

I have it... When one becomes a politician, one must forfeit all of one's own money and property to the state and to the people. We will then manage your power mongering rear ends in a boot camp fashion. Barracks for their living quarters. Standing in line for their chow. Transportation will be done by MAC for distance travel, and cattle car for the local area. These people need to be the ones "sacrificing" for the good of the people. Not the other way around. Who in the hell do they think they are?

Sorry about that... just a pet peeve. Retarded politicians and thier delusions of self importance.
Old February 11, 2007, 01:33 PM   #23
Osborn F. Enready

How many of us are going to "sit" and let this happen?

Do you folks know the danger of precedent like this?

I am going to start burning up some phones with protest calls, and e-mailing my "un"representatives.
Old February 12, 2007, 02:27 AM   #24
Csspecs

I'll mail the guy a dime.
Old February 12, 2007, 09:45 AM   #25
Camp David

I would happily pay a 10 cents a round in taxes if politicians are likewise taxed 10 cents for each word they use...

Fair?