The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 8, 2013, 12:57 AM   #1
new_camper

Kydex holster forming

If you were just making kydex holsters for yourself, is it necessary to get a blue gun? Can I use an actual gun for the mold or will the hot kydex harm a polymer frame pistol?
Old November 10, 2013, 10:17 PM   #2
AK103K

You can use the actual gun. Ive made a couple for my LCP and Seecamp, which has plastic/nylon grips, and no problems.

I put the kydex in the over at 350 for about 5 minutes. Its usually warm and floppy when it comes out, but not really that hot for that long once it goes in the press.
Old November 13, 2013, 08:18 PM   #3
X_shooter

A blue gun comes in handy when you are making several. I am exiting my trial and error phase and its a hassle to reblock the gun when I make another version.

I think its a good idea to keep a mag in the well when pressing to avoid distortion issues on polymer guns. I have pressed kydex with steel and polymer with no issues.

Post pictures when you get one finished.
Old November 13, 2013, 08:57 PM   #4
BobCat45

Remember to tape a piece of dowel to the top of the slide to form a channel in the Kydex for the front sight.
Old November 20, 2013, 12:28 AM   #5
rg1

I use a heat gun to heat the kydex. I like the heat gun as it allows you to reform certain areas by just heating the one area. Only thing I see about using the actual gun is that it will dry out oil and grease. I haven't seen any issues with the couple pistols I've used, a Glock and a Sig.
Old November 20, 2013, 06:01 PM   #6
AK103K

I use a heat gun to adjust the final fit on things. They really are handy and almost a necessity.

I find using the stove works best initially though. I put a piece of tin foil on a cookie sheet and put the kydex on that, and pop it in a preheated oven at 350 for 5-6 minutes.

I tried using just the heat gun on the first couple of sheaths I did, and while it worked, it didnt work as well as the kydex I put in the oven. I think the oven just does a better job of evenly heating the kydex, and it gives a better job.

Another handy thing to have for doing the final adjustments, and actually works better for fine tuning than the heat gun, is a pencil type torch. You just have to be very careful you dont get to close.