The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old November 19, 2008, 09:45 PM   #1
MRRENWICK

uspsa classes for 1911

My friend is wanting to start shooting uspsa with me what classes can you shoot a stock 1911 in.
Old November 20, 2008, 12:00 AM   #2
RickB

Depending on how masochistic you are, you can shoot a single stack .45 in Single Stack, Limited 10, Limited, or Open. If you already have a belt-full of 8-round mags, then go for Single Stack. If you want to race a little faster, get a half-dozen 10-round mags, and shoot L10. I've been shooting L10 almost since the day it was introduced, and it is a lot of fun. You are often faced with target "arrays" requiring eight rounds in USPSA, and having a couple of additional rounds gives you flexibility in target engagement and reload strategies. Shooting Single Stack, you have to do a lot of stop/start and standing around to get the round counts and reloads coordinated, and while it's the same for everyone, it's hard to "race" when you're standing still.
Old November 20, 2008, 04:44 PM   #3
MRRENWICK

He is actually just getting started he has to buy mags, mag holsters, etc. which one would you recommend for the maden voyage
Old November 21, 2008, 06:23 AM   #4
WESHOOT2

for real, or for games

If the intent is to wear the gun, suggest buying wear-appropriate gear (inexpensive Kydex available from Uncle Mikes or Galco; more expensive stuff available everywhere, or www.brownells.com); if the intent is games only, check out Shooters Connection (1 800 387-4045).

Can recommend Wilson 47D magazines, Uncle Mikes or Fobus plastic mag pouches (very inexpensive), and TO START, a cheap Kydex holster from the same folks.

Often, to start, contact the club and let them know you'd like to try their game, and if possible can you borrow gear before buying (because you'll end up buying gear you later learn was not the appropriate choice).

That's the specific advice I give: BUY NOTHING, we'll gladly lend you stuff (I right now have an entire bag of gear lent to a newcomer waiting to shoot his first match).
Can't speak for the club you intend to visit, though, so call their contact person (www.uspsa.org)
Old November 21, 2008, 08:47 AM   #5
SoonerPast

Single Stack

If he already has the gun, I'd tell my friend to acquire 8 round mags and shoot in the Single Stack division.

10 round mags can be finicky. The fit of some of them in some magwells are too tight, my experience with them was that the life of the spring was short.

If he wants to shoot IDPA, then he has to have 8 round mags.

The single stack division is growing in USPSA, but it is still attracts lesser numbers than Limited 10 at the clubs around the GA/AL area. At IDPA, the CDP division is pretty strong, though.

Midwayusa has a good sale on Chip McCormick mags going on.