The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 30, 2014, 01:36 PM   #26
doofus47

Admittedly, the topic is 'effectiveness,' but

has anyone mentioned that bear/wasp spray cans are very large and hard to conceal?
That might influence your decision to use those over purse-sized pepper spray.

Hey look! We're in the weeds again. Thanks, D47...
Old April 30, 2014, 01:40 PM   #27
ChuteTheMall

If you can legally do so, carry the same OC as your police and then your choice of defensive weapon becomes a non-issue.

I keep wasp spray near the porch, for wasps.
And a machete, for snakes and weeds.
I've practiced with both, but never intended to use them against people;
I have better tools for that.
Old April 30, 2014, 06:08 PM   #28
johnelmore

This is my final post in this thread. I want to make this point clear for reasons of safety and responsible posting. It would not be responsible to let the information on wasp or hornet spray float in this thread without this clarification. The use of Wasp or Hornet spray is an internet myth and just a bad idea for the following reasons:

1. There is not much data on how wasp or hornet spray effects humans. However, there is countless data and plenty of youtube videos on pepper spray. If there is any doubt then try a little pepper on yourself. Dont try the wasp spray as that is labeled as a poison. I can guarantee the majority of people here will be thoroughly distracted after a small burst of Fox to the face.

2. Spray the Fox can in your choice of cone or stream against the wasp or hornet spray. You will see the Fox can has a vastly superior spray pattern.

3. Wasp or hornet spray is clearly labeled as a poison. Its not intended for humans.

4. The use of a poisonous substance not intended for self defense might be against the law.

5. Whats the point in carrying a can of wasp spray when you can carry a 4 ounce bottle of Fox which is more pocketable then the large wasp spray can.

Lastly, a training note. Do not get one, but two cans of spray. Dont get the inert bottle, but two bottles of pepper spray. If it blows back on you then good, you feel the real effects. Train with it shooting a target and then use just a dab on yourself. Also, all cans over 2 years old are no longer good. The aerosol leaks out slowly over time and anything above 2 years should not be placed into the trash. If I was a professional user then I would replace mine every year just to be on the safe side.