The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 30, 2009, 01:51 PM   #1
abs

Shooting trap with O/U

Now I have a few naive questions:
Is the lower barrel ever used in a simple trap (no doubles)?
If yes, does aiming at target differ anyhow for both barrels?
Do Browning sporting models (Citori XS/XT) have advantages vs Winchester sporting (Select or 101) models (reliability, etc.)?
Thanks!
Old May 30, 2009, 02:05 PM   #2
Tombstonejim

Now I have a few naive questions:
Is the lower barrel ever used in a simple trap (no doubles)?

I always use the lower barrel even for singles as do most of the shooters I know.

If yes, does aiming at target differ anyhow for both barrels?

Aiming is the same.

Do Browning sporting models (Citori XS/XT) have advantages vs Winchester sporting (Select or 101) models (reliability, etc.)?

Don't know but I would not trade my Citori for a Winchester.

Thanks!
Old May 30, 2009, 04:07 PM   #3
zippy13

Traditionally, in an O/U shotgun the lower barrel is the fired first. Because of the geometry of the gun, the lower barrel has less muzzle rise under recoil. Consequently, shooting doubles with the lower barrel first is a little faster than top barrel first.

In the days of fixed choke guns, you might have your barrels choked full over modified. For 16-yard targets, you'd probably select the modified, or lower barrel. But, for handicap you'd go with the full choke and fire the upper barrel. These days, with most guns having screw in chokes, many shooters prefer to change the choke rather than shift barrels.

Some shooters chose to shoot the upper barrel in trap simply because the upper chamber has a greater exposure, when the gun is opened, and it's easier and quicker to load than the lower.

With respect to Citories and M-101s: I've had unsatisfactory experiences with both of the them, but that was some time ago. The particular Browning Citori had a trigger that was rough enough to be distracting and my Winchester M-101 had a stock as narrow as a fence board that beat me up.
Old May 30, 2009, 09:03 PM   #4
oneounceload

Tombstone - shotgun are pointed, not aimed - it may seem like a semantics game, but the dynamics are very different - aiming is for rifles, and shotguns used for turkeys or deer stand hunting.....clay targets and birds on the wings are done with pointing the gun...........

As for trap, usually the lower barrel id fired first for the reasons Zippy mentioned.... usually, the lower barrel is the one in trap singles.......hence the popularity of the "unsingle" where the trap singles gun has one barrel in the location of what would be the lower barrel on a double gun
Old May 31, 2009, 05:14 AM   #5
darkgael

unsingle

Quote:
the "unsingle" where the trap singles gun has one barrel in the location of what would be the lower barrel on a double gun
Well...that's a new one for me. Can you direct me to a picture?
I'll try googling "unsingle shotgun".
Lessee now.....
Pete
Old May 31, 2009, 10:22 AM   #6
oneounceload

Here ya go:

http://www.perazzi.com/Contents/Imag...122-123-f2.jpg
Old May 31, 2009, 10:46 AM   #7
zippy13

Pete,

For a few dollars less, than the Perazzi, there's the Beretta Unisingle 682 Gold E.

Old May 31, 2009, 08:55 PM   #8
oneounceload

yeah, the Beretta is cheaper, but it just ain't the same Zippy.....

Actually, it was just the picture for him to see what I meant - if I was serious, I'd go with a Ljutic like Dan Orlich's serial number 1......
Old May 31, 2009, 09:54 PM   #9
zippy13

1-oz

I've never been "Ljutic" serious about trap. The Beretta Combo is my Phase II trap gun and my Perazzis are Phase III skeet guns.

Pete
Old June 1, 2009, 01:14 PM   #10
BigJimP

I have single barrel Trap guns - like the Browning BT-100 but honestly I like the Browning XT O/U for Trap - weight, feel, etc ( I'm not a good enough Trap shooter for a Perazzi or Ljutic Trap gun ...) ...maybe a Krieghoff someday ....but I don't shoot much Trap anyway ...

I always shoot the lower barrel on my O/U for Trap singles - for same reasons as Zippy and oneounce said.

I don't see many Winchesters around / but I think they're serviceable guns. I have never owned a Winchester / but all of my Browning Citori's have been strong and solid guns.