The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 14, 2012, 09:31 PM   #1
'88Scrat

Suppressed .22LR

I have been toying with this idea for a while now but I like the idea of being able to go plink at cans and water jugs without the need to bring along hearing protection.

I was thinking about investing in a Walther P22, Sig Mosquito, or Ruger SR22 and adding a Tac-65 suppressor to it for quiet plinking fun.

But the problem is I don't really know what to look for or even where to begin. I know that I may need an adapter of some kind, tax stamp, and (maybe) subsonic ammo but I couldn't even begin to go into specifics.

Anyone got some advice for someone new to suppressors?
Old August 14, 2012, 10:00 PM   #2
Gflysum

I'm no expert on the topic, but I'm probably a few weeks/months ahead of you in the process. First step is to find a suppressor you like/find a class 3 FFL who can point you in the right direction.

I found this suppressor for .22lr that seems to be a VERY popular suppressor
http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/OUTBACK-IID-13p19.htm

Step 2 - decide what gun you want to mount it to. The Walther p-22 comes with a threaded barrel - you just need an adapter to extend the barrel beyond the slide - most places that sell suppressors will also sell these ($15-ish)

-- step 2 can wait - come to think of it you should go straight to step 3 and come back to step 2

Step 3 - go to the class 3 FFL and buy your suppressor - you have to fill out the paperwork, do fingerprints, but they won't actually charge you for it yet. They have to have the actual suppressor's serial number for your paperwork ($200 tax)

You also have to talk to the sheriff in the county in which you reside and get his approval - not a problem in many areas - can be a problem in some.

Send in your paperwork - and the wait begins. So does the second guessing - I.e. should I have gotten the suppressor for the AR-15 instead of the p-22? Because If I had bought the other one, it will still work for the p-22, but I won't be able to use the sights because the diameter is too big.

After 6-8 months, your paperwork will be processed, and you'll be able to pick up (and pay for) your suppressor.

Now that you've got the suppressor bug, and have been through the process once, you'll now start buying suppressors for all of your guns - costing you $500-700 more per firearm than you were spending. But you'll have a lot of fun and preserve your hearing.

Just a prediction if you're anything like me - and since you're on this forum and looking at this - you probably are...

Hope it helps - FYI there's a really good FAQ section of the gem-tech web site
That will probably explain things a little better than I have.

Good luck!
Old August 14, 2012, 10:13 PM   #3
stumper1300

From what I have found, full payment is expected when the serial number goes on your paperwork.
Old August 15, 2012, 05:55 PM   #4
Willie Lowman

If you get a .22 can, get one that can be taken apart for cleaning. I prefer all stainless cans so I can use "the dip"
Old August 15, 2012, 07:32 PM   #5
Crunchy Frog

Pardon me for being biased but we have a suppressor manufacturer here in South Kakalaki that makes good stuff; here is a link to their rimfire page: http://innovativearms.com/index.html

I visited their store while I was passing by that part of the state. I brought my "suppressor host" (a Ruger .22-45 with threaded barrel) and was able to demo the rimfire suppressors. The owner also brought out a GSG 1911-22 which comes stock with a threaded barrel, all that is needed is an adaptor for the "can". The Ruger worked fine but the GSG was even quieter. The GSG is a pretty neat .22 pistol in its own right, but it's a crackerjack suppressor host.

By the way, another option for buying a suppressor is to set up a trust, which not only avoids the requirement for local law enforcement sign-off but also gives you more flexibility in regards to possession of the item. Spend the money to hire a lawyer experienced with NFA trusts to draw it up.
Old August 15, 2012, 08:13 PM   #6
rjrivero

The easiest to suppress out of the box, is the P22. Threaded adapters are easy to find and relatively cheap.

.22 suppressor you want to be user serviceable so you can clean it. Other than that, the choices are vast.

A P22 with it's short barrel keeps even cheap bulk .22LR stuff from going super-sonic. Really a fun plinker!
Old August 15, 2012, 08:21 PM   #7
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lowman
If you get a .22 can, get one that can be taken apart for cleaning. I prefer all stainless cans so I can use "the dip"
Aside from the good "how to do it" advice... this is the best advice you'll get as far as the "what to get" portion of the thread.

I prefer to use a soda media blaster for cleaning, but stainless steel construction and can be disassembled for cleaning are the watch words when it comes to .22 suppressors.
The Silencerco Sparrow (arguably) may be the most popular suppressor that includes these two features.

C
Old August 16, 2012, 09:05 PM   #8
Captains1911

Check out the Silncerco SS Sparrow and the SWR Spectre II, they are considered two of the best.
Old August 16, 2012, 09:08 PM   #9
Captains1911

Quote:
The easiest to suppress out of the box, is the P22. Threaded adapters are easy to find and relatively cheap.
There are many options for pistols with threaded barrels, and some don't even require an adapter, so i would disagree with this. Ruger 22/45 Lite comes to mind.
Old August 16, 2012, 09:14 PM   #10
rjrivero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captains1911
There are many options for pistols with threaded barrels, and some don't even require an adapter, so i would disagree with this. Ruger 22/45 Lite comes to mind.
Agreed. However of the ones the OP mentioned by name, the P22 is the easiest to suppress.
Old August 17, 2012, 07:23 AM   #11
Crosshair

If I could do things over again I would get the Silencerco Sparrow SS for the ease of taking apart and cleaning. 22 rimfire suppressors are DIRTY and at the time I bought my TAC-62 sealed 22 cans were the standard. Thankfully that has changed.
Old August 18, 2012, 06:51 AM   #12
'88Scrat

Quote:
Originally posted by Captains1911
By the way, another option for buying a suppressor is to set up a trust, which not only avoids the requirement for local law enforcement sign-off but also gives you more flexibility in regards to possession of the item. Spend the money to hire a lawyer experienced with NFA trusts to draw it up.
Can you elaborate on this a little more please?
Old August 19, 2012, 01:14 PM   #13
jclayto

Trust rules vary by state so I can only elaborate on rules applicable to my state SC. By setting up a trust I was able to name myself and my wife as co-trustees. There are several benefits to a trust but again, rules vary by state. In SC:

1) My wife or I can have possession of any NFA item registered in the trust. If my wife wants to take the suppressor etc. to the range without me she will be allowed.
2) I did not have to submit fingerprints or request a CLEO signoff to complete the form 4. The CLEO sign-off is a large benefit as one never knows if the next elected sheriff will be NFA friendly.
3) No future registrations fees. I am the settlor of the trust in that the life of the trust is tied to my lifespan. When I die my wife will have to set up another trust in which she is Settlor but all of the guns can transfer into that trust without paying the $200 stamp per item.

There may be other things that I am missing but those were the big items for me. Avoid any advice to write your own trust using Willmaker or similar software and seek legal council of a qualified gun trust lawyer in your state. My local lawyer charged $200 and I can guarantee you that I left with more than $200 worth of solid information.
Old August 19, 2012, 02:25 PM   #14
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I know of a guy who lived in a mostly retiree (he was one too) trailer park on the St.Johns River in Fla. and he was tired of the possums and such flippin' trash cans etc. so he got a suppressor for a Walther pistol... I think the pistol came with the threaded barrel with the purpose being for the "muzzle brake" like a .22 pistol has a ton of muzzle rise...

The neighbors had no problem with him cleaning up the neighborhood so long as gunfire didn't wake them up... Many well fed gators for a couple months and then pretty peaceful after that he says...

Brent
Old August 23, 2012, 08:02 PM   #15
Rob62

Just to pile on what has already been said.

Get a suppressor that can be taken apart by the user for cleaning/maintenance. You will NOT regret spending a few extra bucks on this feature.

If legal in your state - absolutely go the "Revocable Living Trust" route to purchase the suppresor, and any other NFA items. guntrustlawyer.com has lots of info here and can help you set up a trust. (You could also go with Quicken Will Maker software, but many folks discourage this route)

At least take a look at the Tactical Innovations Quest model suppressor. It is a LOT of suppressor for $399 retail. I own one and can highly recomend them.

I am not a fan of the Walther P22 as a supressor host. Although many, many folks use and like them. I strictly use Ruger MK II/III guns as my .22RF suppressor hosts. Ruger now produces several .22 handguns that are factory threaded.

http://www.tacticalinc.com/omega-sta...sor-p-552.html

Lastly be patient, this is a process that takes months from beginning to end. Right now in Georgia it is taking right at 8 months to get Form 1/4's back and that is using a "Trust".
Old August 26, 2012, 12:50 PM   #16
Superhouse 15

I agree with all of the above regarding trusts, and a user-servicable can. As to the host, find a used S&W 2213, 422, 622, 2206, or similar. There are good quality thread adapters to replace the barrel nut, and with the design of the barrel and slide in the bottom of the frame, you can still use the factory sights without the can being in the way. I have like 5 or 6 of these guns in the safe.