The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 12, 2001, 08:30 PM   #1
CD1

Screaming Deer...

I'm sure that like myself, plenty of others have spooked deer and had them scream..WHAAA! I've seen it with doe. Do bucks scream as well? My impression was that only doe scream, but thats just an impression. No factual basis. Some observation supports it, but the buck to doe ratio here is so screwed up that doe are about all I ever see, so my data could be skewed. Any one else have an idea about this?
Old November 12, 2001, 08:39 PM   #2
ATTICUS

We usually call it "blowing", and yes bucks do it to. Startles the crap out of me every time, especially when they sneek up behind me.
Old November 13, 2001, 03:43 AM   #3
Seeker

Hey ATTICUS, I am no expert, but, I thought you were supposed to sneak up on them.

"The oppressed should rebel, and they will continue to rebel and raise disturbance until their civil rights are fully restored to them and all partial distinctions, exclusions and incapacitations are removed." --Thomas Jefferson
Don't Tread On Me!
"Equal and exact justice to all men, of whatever state or persuasion, religious or political; peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations, entangling alliances with none" -- Thomas Jefferson

In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they do not have a real enemy, they will invent one in order to mobilize us.
-Thich Nhat Hanh
Old November 13, 2001, 08:07 AM   #4
ATTICUS

Ha Ha verrrry funny. At least they're not armed.
Old November 13, 2001, 05:24 PM   #5
dZ

whats a real hoot is to sneak up on a whitetail and snort at them

i have gotten them to curriously look about for the new deer in the woods

i had a Ybuck walk with in 20 feet of me one year, while i was sitting on a big log

i whistle/snorted at him and he stopped and looked and looked,
then flicked his tail and walked off

if i am feeling real mischievous off season, i have been know to give deer bigfoot sightings

you think they run when they see people?
Old November 18, 2001, 03:31 PM   #6
Lycanthrope

I've heard does "bleat" when surprised and have heard them do it continually when wounded. Never heard a buck bleat (even if wounded), but have heard them grunt a lot. The "blow" sound isn't really a vocalization, just a snort through the nose.
Old November 18, 2001, 04:35 PM   #7
rugerfreak

It was several years ago when I was out deer hunting. I was sitting on a high ridge in the Sandhills. There was a clearing in front of me with a 30 ft tree line that followed the contours of the fenceline behind that. Anyway---a doe with 2 fawns ( they still had the spots on em) came to the clearing---the doe quickly went back into the treeline while the fawns played in the clearing----I sat and watched them for at least a half hour and the last 10 minutes or so the doe senced something was up---she made this sound that pretty much sounded like a cat howling. The fawns still didn't go back to mama until I stood up and spooked them on purpose.
Old November 18, 2001, 11:33 PM   #8
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I had a crippled buck get his front legs under him and the sound he made is best described as a sort of roar. Not as low a note as a bull, but certainly no bleat. He tossed his head as though he would gore me if he could get to me. A bit spooky.

Art
Old November 20, 2001, 12:11 AM   #9
Navy joe

A snort almost always seems to stop a buck dead in its tracks for a second or two. If you're well hidden a second may even bring them closer.