Old September 15, 2010, 08:38 AM   #26
sixgun67

Dr. Strangelove

PM reply sent
Old February 2, 2011, 05:10 AM   #27
schatzperson

Found

Just joined, Hi everyone.
Saw this old thread; Well I did find a lot of Thompsons that had been stored under mysterious circumstances since 1945.
Hope you enjoy the pics as much as I enjoyed the adventure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sophies Choice.jpg (32.1 KB, 426 views)
File Type: jpg OMG.jpg (63.0 KB, 422 views)
File Type: jpg Warehouse 1.jpg (44.9 KB, 412 views)
Old February 2, 2011, 09:34 PM   #28
oldcspsarge

IF you FIND a machinegun, you may inquire of the NFA Branch of the BATF to determine IF the deceased "Family member" every registered it and just "LOST" the paperwork.

IF it is in the registry, they will tell you and explain the TAX FREE transfer for the Estate to a relative.

IF it was never registered, be prepared to surrender it. That simple !
You may be able to surrender it to a local PD or Sheriff's Office ...who would appreciate the gift ! They can register it to the AGENCY and keep it for law enforcement purposes. It becomes a non-transferrable LEO dead machinegun.
Old February 2, 2011, 09:46 PM   #29
youngunz4life

will the amnesty happen again or is that unlikely?

also, I am one that wouldn't impulsively make a phonecall and turn it in. I would take my time with the decision. All I am saying is I wouldn't rush or do anything rash, but I have never been one to procrastinate either. Many museums will pay hefty dollars for things such as fossils or skeletons, but I guess this is different since its illegal.

thanx for the pictures schatz. I know that somewhere somehow there are these relics still in existence. I wouldn't be surprised if some pro gun bigwigs had one. just sayin...
Old February 2, 2011, 09:56 PM   #30
youngunz4life

not the first time to say the least montana has tried some cool(good) legislation

http://www.ammoland.com/2010/04/15/v...ton-democrats/
Old February 2, 2011, 10:01 PM   #31
The Book

If I found one would keep my mouth shut and be happy!
Old February 2, 2011, 10:34 PM   #32
StrongSideArmsInc

It just so happens, that this very thing happened to a friend of mine. I won't mention any names, or even the type of weapon.
Being that I was a police officer, the person came to me for help. The gun was picked up by ATF, and the investigator contacted the NFA branch and research was performed on the gun. Once the gun information was obtained and ATF found no malice or ill intent, they allowed the person and helped him go through the NFA paperwork and allowed him to register the firearm.
Now before you think this might be standard procdure, I would assume that it will vary depending on the investigators discression. It was stated by ATF, that they could have destroyed the firearm, but they found no ill intent, so that was the reason to move forward with the NFA branch
Old February 2, 2011, 10:35 PM   #33
StrongSideArmsInc

Just 2 more cents.

It was also explained to me that the person could have torch cut the receiver and just turned that in.
Old February 2, 2011, 10:39 PM   #34
thallub

It would be neat to find a nice Thompson SMG. Problem is that the price is just to high - several years in federal prison. i would call the BATFE ASAP.
Old February 2, 2011, 10:47 PM   #35
silvercorvette

I would be very tempted to keep my mouth shut, but my problem is I already own three legal machine guns one of which is a Thompson. If I was caught I would loose all the machine guns plus a few dozen assorted rifles and handguns and spend the rest of my life in jail.

I hope I never am faced with that decision because I would be very tempted.

People that own these guns keep the stamp locked in a safe and carry a copy when they go to the range. If you are at a range and asked to show your stamp you could get into deep voo doo if a cop asks to see it and you can't produce it.
so owning one of these guns without a stamp means you are taking a risk by shooting it so the gun is something you can look at but not shoot.
Old February 2, 2011, 11:04 PM   #36
M4Sherman

My understanding is that you only have to show the stamp to a ATF agent due to it the stamp being in the same category as your W-2 and other tax information
Old February 2, 2011, 11:10 PM   #37
Wildalaska

Quote:
If I found one would keep my mouth shut and be happy!
And suppose it was stolen from me??

WildwhatdoesthanmakeyouAlaska ™©2002-2011
Old February 2, 2011, 11:16 PM   #38
silvercorvette

Quote:
My understanding is that you only have to show the stamp to a ATF agent due to it the stamp being in the same category as your W-2 and other tax information
If you are at a range firming full auto and a police officer asks you to show proof the gun is legal it would be a good idea not to argue with him.

the bottom of page two says the form must be shown the any ATF agent, but I bet that if you refuse to show the form to a regular LEO you will be held until an ATF agent can get there
Old February 2, 2011, 11:56 PM   #39
C Philip

Three options:
1: Turn it in, risking troubles for possession of an illegal item.
2: Hide it like your life depended on it and hope for a repeal of the ban.
3: Get a large grinding wheel and turn the whole thing into dust - the surest way to destroy any evidence of it.

#1 is the only legal route.
Old February 3, 2011, 01:00 AM   #40
44 AMP
Staff

As much as I hate to be a party pooper, and I can easily understand the sentiment behind statements like "I would just shut up and keep it", announcing in a public forum that you would willingly commit a Federal crime, given the opportunity, doesn't seem like a smart idea to me. Yeah, I know, yiou were only kidding, right?

But saying you would keep it, and/or advising the "finder" to keep it is advocating an illegal act. And it's against forum rules to do that, even as a hypothetical.

So, If all you have to post is "I'd keep it" or something similar, adding nothing of value to the discussion , please don't bother. That way the big mean NAZI MODS won't get mad or upset with you. And, yes, I'm one of them.
(please note that the phrase "NAZI MODS" is my sarcastic humor, and I am in no way implying that any of the mods are, or were Nazis, or support any Nazi aims, goals, or philosophy. Its a sarcastic comment on some of the complaints we hear when we remind people of forum rules)

Before you get all bent out of shape about us being censors and stomping on your rights, remember this is a private forum, and we (Mods included) are guests. The rules are the rules, and breaking them gets you punished.

As to "found" machineguns, if they were never registered with the ATF, there is currently no legal way to register them. Posession is a crime, and sadly, even giving one to a museum is still a crime (although a slightly different one). The only legal avenue is to contact, and surrender the gun to the ATF. Period. If the gun has some historical significance, you could try to get the ATF to donate it to a museum, but you cannot, you can only give it to the ATF. You cannot "dewat" it and keep it, either. And before somebody says "take off all the parts and destroy the receiver", that would also be a crime. Sorry.

StrongSide, it would be interesting if you could provide a time frame when your "friend" got help from the ATF and was allowed to register it. As far as I know, it could only have been pre-1986. The registry was closed by the Hughes Amendment to the Firearms Owner Protectection Act in 1986, a Federal Law. Opening the registry (making exceptions to the law) for a nice guy with no criminal intent just doesn't seem like something the ATF would be likely to do these days.
Old February 3, 2011, 01:41 AM   #41
Jimmy10mm

IIRC I saw an ad in the early '70s for an Auto Ordinance new production 22LR Thompson full auto. I think they were a few thousand bucks then. I would love to have one of those. I couldn't afford to shoot a 45cal Thompson legal or not. In the unlikely event that I found one I would certainly turn it in rather than risk losing my 2nd amendment rights along with the jail time.
Old February 3, 2011, 09:32 AM   #42
summitrt

I worked for a local PD in upstate NY. A widow came in with full auto Thompson in Cosmoline. It was a WWII bring back that her husband had. It was in the evidence room for a long time and the last that I heard. it was donated to the West Point Museum. It was an awesome gun.

If I found one, I would report it and already have a plan to have it donated directly to a big museum. Hopefully it would get chopped up. I would not just keep it. It is easy to say just keep it but you don't really know who would see it and then report it. What fun would it be to own the real deal Tommy gun and never show it off or shoot it? It is not worth going to jail for.
Old February 3, 2011, 03:41 PM   #43
Jim Watson

The treatment of found full auto souvenirs and the 1911 with serial number filed off by a nervous pilferer, now deceased or elderly, is kind of a fringe area of gun control. Hard to argue against, but repressive none the less.
Old February 3, 2011, 04:45 PM   #44
Skans

I guess there are some treasures that you pray you never find.
Old February 3, 2011, 07:33 PM   #45
Willie Lowman

Well, it wasn't a Thompson...

When I was 12 years old, my Mom and I found a sawed off single shot 12 gauge and a white canvas bank bag on the side of SR 180. The bag had the name of some bank from Kentucky IIRC. (there was no money in the bag) We took it to the Sheriff's dept. and Mom filed a report.
Old February 3, 2011, 08:37 PM   #46
Winchester_73

I'm fairly certain that the ATF would allow you to disassemble the gun and give them the receiver. The parts kits for many of these guns are quite valuable. This WWII collector who's an FFL that me and my friend both know from the gun shows supposedly did that years ago. He is a standard FFL, not a class 3 however.
The story was that he had an old woman hand him a MP40, and he gave up the receiver and kept the parts kit. I think he also got a parts kit for a MG42 the same way. I should ask him the next time I see him...

I can't see why they'd want to cut up all parts, such as the barrel or trigger etc when they are available anyway. Now of course the receiver, thats different.
Old February 3, 2011, 09:35 PM   #47
swede4198

Last year the owner of the range I belong to, who is also a PD detective, received a Thompson from a widow that had never been registered. He contacted a local ATF agent who allowed the detective to take possesion of it and sell off the parts for the widow. He said it was a sad day when he watched the ATF slice the receiver into three pieces on a band saw.
Old February 3, 2011, 10:01 PM   #48
Bill DeShivs

The receiver IS the gun. All other parts are perfectly legal.
Old February 3, 2011, 10:38 PM   #49
gew98

I had a handfull of those "things" way back. But a few months before the '86 law was to take effect a cop buddy gave me some real sound stern advice..get rid of them ASAP.. too many know you got'em and when the law changes someone just might make a career of fyour butt. I disassembled them all , saw cut the receivers , put all the bits in a big box and sold them all the Recon Ordnance in wisconsin. He did the paperwork on them to "manufacture" them as transferable. At least those emmagees got new legal life , and I got some scratch. About 10 years ago I got a call from a "picker"... he had a lady whom inherited her dads "bringbacks" and was looking for money for them. Of course I expected a nice couple pistols and or rifles of german origin. I found an Mp44 in good shape and a really super MP40. Neither had a magazine.. and of course in no way were they ever registered. I told her since my "picker" freind new of them and now me , and her worthless brother she had best destroy them now. I offered to torch up the receivers and sell the parts - probably could of got her $2k for the bits. She acted like I was trying to rip her off. I graciously explained the circumstance these never to be legal autos presented her...she simply put them back in the overseas bag and shoved them under the bed. I never talked to that lady again and would'nt to this day. I could just see her addict brother selling them on the street or somehting as bad , and they were too ignorant/greedy . Had a fella one time at show with a couple of those vopo K/43's. One had "the switch". I showed the dealer and advised him to strip it down for parts on the spot and take the reaceiver out to his big old truck and bend it all to hell on his big redneck bumper. Nope , he just put it in a sleeve and snuck it out the door. There was a guy ( dealer ) whom was trying to peddle a fair condition 1st model FG42 at the show ... nobody really cared for the guy and there already was a quiet rumor he was on the hook working for the man. He was taking it into th ebathroom wrapped in a GI blanket with a story of hoow it came out of a vet's attic. I offered him $500 for the magazine and he replied "I only want a grand for the whole thing"....Knew right there it was real bad ju ju... the magazine alone was worth that and he knew. Did'nt take long for th eshow promoter to get an earful of the guys doings and he ran him ou tthe door quickly and oddly enough some clean cut types came form the lets say the shadows to help him load up and out on the spot.
On emore... Knew an old vet whom was a longtime cop. He loved guns and had no shortage of soem superb stuff... he saved alot of MG's and got them legal before the sun set on that. His reputation on that note and he always advertised through friends and fellow cops looking for anything shooterwise.His profuse gun knowledge and collection and his stories on saving many MG's apparently got him some unwanted attention. He got a call one day from someone he did'nt know saying he was referred to him by someone he hardly new well. He was'nt a stupid cop now mind you. The guy came over with a friend and produced in his kitchen a minty M1A1 thompson. They talked at length and he just new these guys were a sting from the get go. He excused himself wiht the tommy to the attached garage and cut it in two with his acetylene torch...brought it back into the "guys" and dropped it on the table. He said their jaws hit the ground and the talker of the two had a red face like the devil. He told them he said as he dropped it on the table something to the effect he saved them from alot of trouble they were looking to get into. Short time later through the grape vine he understood some ATF types had a hard on for him due to that 'incident'. Nothing ever came of it but he did go out of his way to visit their branch office and popped in to say hello to the "agent" whom posed as the seller just to rub it in ..guy had brass moxy !. Oh well that's enough already.
4) To build free societies you must limit control of the past.
Old February 3, 2011, 10:45 PM   #50
HottAK47

OK, somebody explain me this. Supose I discover this old widow that has a Tompson she has no idea what to do with that agrees to sell me the parts kit for $50 (I'm a real nice guy, with a soft spot for old widows), leaving her the reciever to turn in to the BATF(E).
When I show up at the old gals house with my little tool kit and stuff and take this unregistered automatic weapon in my hands to begin work on it, knowing full well and demonstratively its status, in what way am I (and she) not commiting a felony? Will the BATF(E) give me a note or something saying its alright?