The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 24, 2011, 08:41 PM   #26
youngunz4life

ok so they aren't mailing them in iowa

but give them the benefit of the doubt and/or some space. what I mean by that is you're doing nothing wrong+have the right to go down there the minute they open. why not give them one extra day before going down there or call monday afternoon just so it doesn't seem like your banging down the door and/or anxious about it though. I mean, what are you going to do or say if they say they're sorry but it might be a couple days(due to backlog, the guy's surgery, etc, etc)? I still think it will be ready, so let us know+good luck.
Old April 24, 2011, 11:57 PM   #27
TCL

I won't be surprised if it's ready on Monday either, but as I said above, it's already a few days past due. The law allows 30 days. Monday will be the 33rd day after my application was submitted. I'll go down there Monday to pick up my permit, and if I am denied, I will pursue every legal avenue open to me.
Old April 25, 2011, 08:11 AM   #28
youngunz4life

ok what happened?
Old April 25, 2011, 12:02 PM   #29
TCL

Short version is, I was refused. Got the same story - the one person who does the checks isn't there and "there's nothing we can do." Asked who could do something and was referred to a LT in the uniform division. Wrote him a nice polite letter and I'll give him a couple days to respond before I escalate to the county attorney or state AG's office.
Old April 25, 2011, 03:15 PM   #30
Pahoo

Starting to sound like the same old BS and don't lose heart. Keep the pressure on and don't give up. Remember that you are in the right. Would you mind telling me what Couny you are dealing with. If it's more comfortable for you, just PM me. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old April 25, 2011, 03:57 PM   #31
markj

Quote:
I don't think they're mailing them out here
Nope, you get to stand and smile as your pic is taken, then you get a hard permit not paper.

I was told right up front 6 weeks, this was right after the new year too. I would have patientence andwait the 2 weeks. Where is the gun? only takes one week to get a permit to purchase as it involves a different examination of your records.
Old April 25, 2011, 05:09 PM   #32
TCL

Dealing with Pottawattamie County. I've been in touch with the Iowa Firearms Coalition and I think that with their assistance this will get sorted out rather quickly.

Not going to spend an extra ten bucks to get a permit to purchase when the carry permit fills that role and should have been issued by now.

If they were actively processing the applications and were just behind, I'd be much more understanding and willing to wait. I know they were swamped around the first of the year. But the information I have indicates that they're not doing anything. If that's correct, then that's unacceptable. Neither is a flat refusal to comply with the law. It's wrong and it affects a lot more people than just me, not only in this county but state-wide if we let this slide.

We had to fight to get shall-issue enacted; if we have to fight to get it enforced, so be it. That's a fight we can and will win.

(On to Constitutional carry!)
Old April 25, 2011, 06:28 PM   #33
Pahoo

Iowa Firearms Coalition

Quote:
Iowa Firearms Coalition
I am active with these folks and have met a few of their instructors. I was going to drop them a line but looks like you beat me to it. These are the folks that in part, can take a lot of credit for Shall-Issue, along with the NRA and another group. They are good folks. Again, please keep us updated. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old April 26, 2011, 03:55 PM   #34
markj

Quote:
Not going to spend an extra ten bucks to get a permit to purchase
Used to be 5 but I bet it is good for 5 years like the carry permit is.

Whats 2 more weeks? by the time you get folks involved that time will go by and the permit will be there after JD signs off.

I got my training for the permit thru the Iowa coalition, was less than the classes offered in CB which are twice a week now so that tells ya just how popular this permit is. They been taking as many as 25 a day up to 80 a day. Every day.

Pott county has always been a friendly county for this permit, my cousin has had his for at least 10 years.
Old April 26, 2011, 04:17 PM   #35
Pahoo

Quote:
Used to be 5 but I bet it is good for 5 years like the carry permit is.
Can't speak for this year, but last year it waas $5.00 here as well and only good for one year. I'll be finding our soon enough if this has changed. The folks at our county sherrifs office are very helpful .....

Be Safe !!!
Old April 28, 2011, 03:31 PM   #36
markj

Gun show at westfair this weekend. Got both permits ready just in case I see something I may need like a new 1911 with a short barrel for carry.

Actually I see the permit to purchase has expired, so its just the carry opermit Iwill be needing.

The deputy did my carry permit knows me, she sees me every year when I do the permit to purchase. Told me "see ya in 5 years" Might have to run some pulled pork down to my fav detective, he didnt come and rub butts with me last time

Support your local sherrif

I hope to go on friday night or sunday.
Old May 2, 2011, 10:30 AM   #37
TCL

Made my weekly call a few minutes ago and they say it's ready. Don't know if it was the IFC and NRA rattling their cage that did it, or if they were just playing catch-up, but shortly I'll be joining the ranks of the CCW holders.
Old May 2, 2011, 03:56 PM   #38
markj

Quote:
shortly I'll be joining the ranks of the CCW holders
Great, I bet it was catch up, they really dont want to make folks wait. In a budget environment things take time cause they didnt budget for more people, next year they will budget more people that they may not need at that time. It is the way of the budget....

We just put ours in for this year
Old May 2, 2011, 08:40 PM   #39
HoraceHogsnort

markj wrote: "Seems to be worse on the east coast, (of Iowa) us on the west coast have no problems."

Uh..............golly, there seems to be something wrong with my map!
Old May 2, 2011, 11:35 PM   #40
TCL

Their refusal to issue after 30 days still rankles. It was improper at best. They're still doing it, too, but IFC and NRA are working on it.
Old May 3, 2011, 03:54 PM   #41
markj

Quote:
Their refusal to issue after 30 days still rankles. It was improper at best. They're still doing it, too, but IFC and NRA are working on it.
LOL they gonna volunteer their time and do these for the county? After the initial flood, things will settle down and be back to normal again. I see they are offering classes in CB twice a week. Thats a lot of permit appliers.

Guns were flying off the tables at the gun show. I saw more plastic permits and handguns go out the door than ever. Lots of them little plastic pink things in 380 and 9mm... the glock guy is probably still filling out forms he was so very busy.

In other words sir, you aint the only one took 6 weeks for mine. as many others before me.
Old May 3, 2011, 04:41 PM   #42
TCL

Shall-issue means shall-issue. It doesn't mean "when we get around to it." The law allows 30 days for action, otherwise issuance is automatic. They don't have a choice.
Old May 4, 2011, 03:48 PM   #43
markj

Quote:
Shall-issue means shall-issue. It doesn't mean "when we get around to it." The law allows 30 days for action, otherwise issuance is automatic. They don't have a choice.
I will mention this next time I am down there it is a money thing, you work and get paid right? only so many workers means work isnt done as fast as it should be done this is true? Here is a bit of info, feds used to get about 1.5 million calls for gun check in a year, last 2 years it is like 1 million a month.

You are not alone. We can offer to pay more taxes to offset this or let it go and soon it will taper off and get back to a more normal state of being.

When it comes to cops, I smile and say yes sir, no sir, try to not upset them, never know when you will need one.

Sooo did you get that gun yet? pics?
Old May 4, 2011, 04:09 PM   #44
TCL

IFC and NRA are on it. I'll let them sort it out.

The 1911 I was eyeing sold while I was waiting, so I've been scouring the state for a SA Mil-Spec 1911 and/or a matte stainless CZ 75. Finally found the 1911...in Cedar Rapids. But I have to be over that way in a couple days anyway so they're holding it for me.
Old May 5, 2011, 04:58 PM   #45
markj

Quote:
SA Mil-Spec 1911
good choice.
Old June 2, 2011, 10:08 PM   #46
Noodle

I know this is about a month old but it seems other sheriffs in Iowa are still complaining about the shall-issue status of Iowa. I thought some of my fellow Iowans would be able to throw some more perspective from their respective counties as well.

I will warn you this article is normal for the horrible reporting of the Iowa City Press-Citizen.

http://www.press-citizen.com/article...y=mod|mostview

the comments section is also quite amusing.
Old June 3, 2011, 04:29 PM   #47
markj

Quote:
Uh..............golly, there seems to be something wrong with my map!
Are you sure? LOL we will be kept out of other states due to the flooding. Many of us live in Iowa work in Nebr and may be unable to get to work mionday if the rivers get high enuff to close the bridges.

Down at the sherriffs office, folks keep pouring in wanting a permit to carry weapons, more than they can check out in a timley manner. I mentioned it and was told the county needs more money to hire more people to do more work which isnt gonna happen cause they are under staffed and under financed as it is. Guess what? Most counties are the same shape. Funny how folks dont want to pay them taxzes that pay them police workers...

Now go to thew sherriffs dept and get up in their faces and demand your rights!! LOL, let me know so I can be there to film it, you will be qrrested for disturbing the peace and they will know you and do you really want them to "know you"?

Give em a chance, it will be checked out, it will be done and given to you soon. Why make waves with the ones sworn to serve and protect you?

Them Pott Co deputies are good guys, the sherriff is also a good guy. It is all about money, not keeping you from a permit.

Mine took 6.5 weeks, I was told up front it would be al least 6 weeks. I turned mine in mid jan, right after the new law went into effect.
Old June 3, 2011, 05:46 PM   #48
ConlawBloganon

In my county, in my state, the maximum wait period is 90 days, and they'll often make you wait every second of that if they can.

Tags
ccw , permit