The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 14, 2012, 12:06 PM   #76
CowTowner

I guess the real question here is, "When are the D.C. Police going to be properly educated/trained on the new gun laws?"
The public now has the information. Hopefully LEOs are not far behind.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old March 14, 2012, 12:15 PM   #77
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Irwin
. . . .Maybe she understands them, but I think it's safe to say that DC police still don't understand them, so she's still in danger of being falsely arrested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowTowner
I guess the real question here is, "When are the D.C. Police going to be properly educated/trained on the new gun laws?" . . . .
Whether she intended to be or not, it sounds like Ms. Miller is fairly well positioned to, ahem, "educate" the DC Police:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Miller
. . . . I checked it with firearms attorney Richard Gardiner for his interpretation. Mr. Gardiner represents Dick Heller, . . .
Old March 14, 2012, 12:24 PM   #78
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Whether she intended to be or not, it sounds like Ms. Miller is fairly well positioned to, ahem, "educate" the DC Police:"

Yes, I'm sure that Mr. Gardiner would represent her...

AFTER she is falsely arrested by a cop who took his marching orders from the lieutenant who won't get back to her and from Kathy Lanier.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 14, 2012, 03:55 PM   #79
cwok

DC Police ... Officer Harper

It's a shame that DC had someone working the Gun Office who didn't know what he was talking about the day she asked questions.

I do suggest however that
Ignorance, Indifference, Incompetence (plus there's another I-word but I forget it)
explain more bad things that happen to people that deliberate ill intent does.

DC city council anti-gun - Yes ! and again YES YES !!.
But ..
DC Police department having a deliberate policy to peddle false info about the laws - IMHO that is much less likely.

More likely this is just another person who thinks working for the police department makes him an expert on laws he hasn't really read.
Also, Male Police Officer asked question by Female Civilian.
Options (Testosterone rush):
....A - I don't know.
....B - Make up an answer so I sound like I know-it-all.

B B !!
Old March 14, 2012, 08:19 PM   #80
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

In response to this:
Quote:
The law was so different than the information provided by the gun registry office that I checked it with firearms attorney Richard Gardiner for his interpretation. Mr. Gardiner represents Dick Heller, who brought the landmark Supreme Court case that overturned Washington’s 30-year handgun ban.
I posted this:

Oh My!

Richard Gardiner is working for the NRA in representing Dick Heller in the Heller II case... Most definitely not the Supreme Court case by that name. That attorney was Alan Gura!
Old March 20, 2012, 02:12 AM   #81
jimpeel

This week's NRA Grass Roots News Minute devoted the entire segment to Emily Miller and her successful quest for a firearm in DC.

VIDEO LINK

All hail Emily!

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old March 20, 2012, 07:13 AM   #82
jcsturgeon

Kind of sickening that she should have to go through all that nonsense. I live in Colorado and bought a Glock 22 pistol yesterday. I ordered it through a dealer. He called me when it was delivered, the background check took all of about 5 minutes and I left with my gun.

Imagine that happening in California, or DC or NYC.
Old April 17, 2012, 10:33 AM   #83
Spats McGee
Staff

Well, Emily's at it again. This time, she takes D.C.'s newest shooter to the range with her!
Old April 17, 2012, 02:25 PM   #84
Cindyann

I had read through that entire series before and coming from a state where a license is easy to get I couldn't believe how hard it was for her. I had never really considered other states gun laws before, but now it would definitely be something I checked into before I planned a move!
Old April 17, 2012, 11:26 PM   #85
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindyann
I had read through that entire series before and coming from a state where a license is easy to get I couldn't believe how hard it was for her. I had never really considered other states gun laws before, but now it would definitely be something I checked into before I planned a move!
It should also be something you check into before traveling, if you take a gun with you. There are discussions on this forum about people who have been arrested for naively thinking that a carry permit from their home state meant it was okay to carry a handgun to -- and in -- New York City.

Oh, my!
Old April 18, 2012, 09:48 AM   #86
jimpeel

From the story:

Quote:
“No, actually it wasn’t. I figured you just go in and fire, no technique and just do it for the sake of saying you shot a gun,” he told me. “But I was really focusing on the target. It felt more like a sport. I wanted to make it a competition. If I spent some time in here, I think I’d be good,” he said. I agreed.

“But what I really want to do is learn to shoot a shotgun so I can go hunt,” he said.
It sounds like he has suppressed his desires for the sake of political correctness and not wishing to look bad to his fellow Liberals. Once he actually tried shooting he found that there is a discipline involved that he had never considered. This, unfortunately, shows that he was influenced by the Brady Bunch and others who spread false information. I assume those same people will be mounting a future campaign against his reelection.

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

Old April 18, 2012, 11:33 AM   #87
hermannr

It would be great if someone in the DC City council actually took up shoot compitition...maybe there would be a range in DC eventually after all.

Did you notice one of his "Aids" was firing his own pistol? Bodyguard anyone?
Old April 18, 2012, 12:54 PM   #88
Evan Thomas

re: Vision testing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdogs
TFL once had an active poster who was blind as a sleepin' bat who was learning to target shoot with help of a sighted person. He planned to get a ccw and carry.
That's BlindMansBluff, I think. He was last here at the beginning of this year, so he's still around, sort of. Too bad he's in Arizona, not D.C. (not too bad for him, though... ) -- but he's an active supporter -- and exemplar -- of gun rights for disabled people. He might know someone in D.C....
Old April 18, 2012, 03:51 PM   #89
motorhead0922

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermannr
Did you notice one of his "Aids" was firing his own pistol? Bodyguard anyone?
Good catch, hermannr. My guess is Mr. Stickland, originally from Missouri, does not live in DC.
Old April 18, 2012, 04:13 PM   #90
Fishing_Cabin

Quote:
But what I really want to do is learn to shoot a shotgun so I can go hunt,” he said.
If Mr. Brown wants to learn how to use a shotgun, I am sure some of us here would be welcome to help him or point him the right direction. Perhaps Mr. Brown is someone who wants to learn and may help clear up the process.

Good job Emily.
Old May 15, 2012, 08:46 AM   #91
Spats McGee
Staff

Ms. Miller has two new articles up. Here they are:

MILLER: D.C.’s mayor holds up gun rights

MILLER: Injured vet’s guns stolen by D.C.

Enjoy,
Spats
Old May 15, 2012, 09:42 AM   #92
Wyoredman

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/...uns-stolen-dc/

Thanks for the link, Spats. Now I need to take a blood pressure pill!

WTH?
Old May 15, 2012, 11:35 AM   #93
Aguila Blanca
Staff

In re the second article:

Quote:
“I told them I had been under the impression that as long as the guns were locked in the back, with the ammunition separate, that I was allowed to transport them,” Mr. Kim told me in an interview. “They said, ‘That may be true, however, since you stopped at Walter Reed, that make you in violation of the registration laws.” It is illegal to possess a firearm anywhere in D.C. other than the home.

Mr. Kim’s attorney, Richard Gardiner, said his client was lawfully transporting the firearms, and that would have been his defense if the matter went to trial. “The mistake he made was agreeing to a search of his vehicle,” the attorney explained in an interview. “If the police ask for consent to search, the answer is ‘no.’ If they ask, ‘why not?’ The answer is, ‘no.’”
Mr. Kim's attorney would also be wrong. This has been discussed at great length on a great many "gun" forums. The FOPA applies when you are going from one state to another state. Although I wish, and I'm sure most of us agree, that it should allow for intermediate stops, the way it is written does not appear to do so. Lt. Kim was in transit from NJ to NC, but a stop at Walter Reed Army Hospital is not something "in the normal course of travel."

Further, at least some of those firearms are probably illegal in NJ, which would mean that he wasn't covered by the FOPA anyway.

What we really need is to just get back to the 2A being the law of the land, and quit fooling around with all these unconstitutional restrictions.
Old May 15, 2012, 11:12 PM   #94
hermannr

I have to disagree with you AB. I do believe the Mr Kim's atturney is correct.

Let's put forward two situations. The first is stopping to rest. If you are on I 90 in PA and you want go to Maine. You will have to stop for a rest, or you will be unsafe, let alone have to stop for fuel. That is well over 400 miles..and NY and MA are horrible gun states.

So, now, let's say you are on your way from PA to Maine Via I 90 and you have a motor vehicle accident...now you are all of a suddenly illegal through no fault of your own? I don't think that is what congress had in mond with that law...

No, it is a safe passage law, from somewhere you are legal to somewhere else you are legal, as long as the firearm is locked up and not in reach. If I am in my motor home on tour of the US, my home is my origin, my home is my destination, and I am legal at my home, I am transporting ecverywhere else...and I will be stopping for fuel, to see the sights, and stay the night...and NO, you cannot search my vehicle without a search warrent.
Old May 16, 2012, 02:53 AM   #95
jimpeel

The story says they arrested him for having a firearm outside of his home while in the District. If he does not have a home in the District, then everywhere is outside of his home.

They are just being cutesy with the law to harass people they do not feel should have the same rights they do.