The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 8, 2009, 05:40 AM   #1
borninfire

Taurus P92 - A Fantastic Handgun

Gentlemen,

I have been reading this forum for quite some time now, mainly finding threads in google based on my various queries.

I just wanted to take a moment to express my love for my favorite handgun, the Taurus P92.

While I have read many posts on various forums in the realm of the Taurus P92 v. Beretta 92, I am not here to dispute that the Beretta is a better built handgun with a better finish and 'some' higher quality parts, I am here to tell anyone looking for a target 9MM that it is indeed the best, most accurate, easy to maintain and shoot pistol I own.

Field stripping is incredibly easy, and cleaning is a joy compared to some of my other pistols.

The pistol is incredibly accurate, i consistently surprise myself with my accuracy at the gun range, everywhere from 7 to 40 yards. The weight is perfect, and right out of the box (cardboard as it might have been) the sights required no adjustment whatsoever.

The pistol comes with everything the novice modder would want, with many replacement grips available, and a built in tactical rail on the bottom of the barrel.

The pistol came with two very well built clips, with a very visible yellow feeder mechanism which makes it very easy to clean.

I've shot nearly 10,000 rounds through this pistol with no jams or issues, even in very dirty conditions.

My statement is made here, not for the dispute that the Beretta is a better pistol, it's simply that for 200$ less, there is no reason not to get intimate with the Taurus P92.

I look forward to every chance I get to shoot it, and highly recommend it to all of my friends. It is by far the most used handgun in my arsenal, and for those of you who haven't had the pleasure of firing a 92, don't be afraid of the Taurus. It is indeed a fantastic weapon, worthy of praise. Indeed this is in my opinion the most reliable, fun and well designed handgun in the Taurus offering.
Old February 8, 2009, 07:59 AM   #2
Johnc

Welcome to TFL. Enjoy your Taurus. I love both of mine.

Beware the Taurus bashers, they lurk amongst us and attack without warning or provocation.

John
Old February 8, 2009, 08:23 AM   #3
Maromero

There are plenty of reasons to bash Taurus but the P92 is not ine of them. I prefer the safety in my Taurus than in my Beretta.
Old February 8, 2009, 08:24 AM   #4
Logs

I had a Taurus 92 several years ago, it was a great shooter. I traded it for a Beretta 92 only because the grip on the Taurus was a bit large for my hands.
Taurus has a few lemons out there, but they are all not bad. I still own a Mod 85 snub nose and a .454 Raging Bull.

WELCOME to TFL.....
Old February 8, 2009, 08:29 AM   #5
Officer's Match

It is among a small handfull of pistols that I will never sell.

Old February 8, 2009, 08:33 AM   #6
clown714

love my PT-99

clown
Old February 8, 2009, 09:35 AM   #7
Que

The PT92 is one that the Tuarus bashers know better than to bash.

I had a PT92 back in the 80's, one that may well have saved my life getting me out of a rather bad situation. Foolishly I sold the gun in the early 90's. To pay penance for my foolishness a year ago I found a mechanically excellent but aesthetically lousy used one and had it restored. It's extremely smooth shooting and more than acceptably accurate gun that has a permanent place in my arsenal.
Old February 8, 2009, 09:54 AM   #8
TGDKY

I love my Taurus and would never part with it- its a Pt-140 (not pro) and i use it as my CC weapon. Ignore the taurus basher's- they float heavy around here.
Old February 8, 2009, 11:01 AM   #9
borninfire

Wow, thanks for the response everyone. Here's a picture of mine.

I've added a Hogue Handall universal grip, a streamlight TLR-1 Tactical LED lamp and a compact laser.

The lamp helps ALOT at the gun range. Both gun ranges I frequent (DFW Area) are pretty dim inside. (D/FW Gun Range and the Shooters Club) It really helps you to see the holes you make in the targets at distance.

The laser is just cool, it does help to sight at distance, but the P92 is so accurate, I really rarely use it.

Old February 10, 2010, 02:35 AM   #10
Taurus_9mm

The PT92 is one of my favorite handguns as well and I'd never get rid of it for any reason. The only thing I wasn't crazy about were the plastic factory grips, but they were easily removed and replaced with a set of rubber Hogues. Now I just need a PT100 in .40 S&W.
Old February 10, 2010, 07:59 AM   #11
gotigers

What is the trigger like; how long is the pull? how short is the reset? How heavy is the trigger?
Old February 10, 2010, 08:05 AM   #12
Leejack

Good for you for standing up for your gun.

During the 90's I had a PT99 that I shot countless trouble free rounds from.

It was indeed, a great gun!

Happy shooting,

Lee
Old February 10, 2010, 08:09 AM   #13
benroe

I used to have a PT92 that I used for my conceal carry class. It was a great gun. That is one of the few that I would like to own again.
Old February 10, 2010, 08:29 AM   #14
Qwiks draw

The bashers like to hit on the locking block. That is a dead issue or the PT92 would not work so well or be as popular as it is. There's a recent attempt at smearing the PT 92 at this forum. Didn't work. Nothing of substance to hang the hat on.
I brought the evidence for it including the actual users, those who are own and work on them, as well as what gunsmiths have actually seen.
When asked for hard overall data against they came up dry.

Renowned gun gurus like Chuck Karwan and Mas Ayoob would not be saying so if these were bad pistols.

In Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery which they authored,still do, and for decades now, the gun is recommended to those who have to buy their own gun or just can.

The PT92s are considered replacement pistols for those who have their guns break during the rigorous 500-1000 round classes. Not only do the PT92 kin work, but do not break.

They've seen the high priced spread guns break,choke, and go down for the count. Not always, but it is fairly common enough for them and other gun instructors to notice.

Many shooting classes have seen more and more PT92s come in and finish the rougher courses. So take heart.

Then you already knew that.

No, I do not own a PT92 or it's kin. My hands and fingers don't fit them real well. I would if I could. I just come from where the actual owners other than here roam and have access to the archives as well.

Even the FAQ section at the "other place" puts the locking block thing to rest.

There are suggestons as to replace the block after 7000 or more rounds if need be. Other than that there is nothing for negativity.

Yes, I own other Taurus products, but this about the PT92/99 and kin.

So enjoy your pistols folks. They work and work well.
Old February 10, 2010, 08:46 AM   #15
OldShooter

I had a PT92 and I liked it pretty well, put some Hogue rubber grips on it, felt good in my hands. I liked the fact that the safety lever was on the frame as opposed to the Beretta style. I didn't like the fact that I couldn't hit anything with it; it was me not th gun. Oh and mine came with magazines, not clips.
Old February 10, 2010, 08:54 AM   #16
boykinhntr

I prefer the Taurus to the Beretta only bc of the decocker/safety located on the frame instead of the slide. I actually don't own the PT92 but I do have the PT101(.40s&w version). Built like a tank!
Old February 10, 2010, 09:14 AM   #17
Stephanie B

+1

I've owned two PT92s. The first went in a very quick sale to a friend who was having some, shall we say, "domestic relation issues" with an ex-boyfriend. It took me less than a week to buy a replacement.
Old February 10, 2010, 09:55 AM   #18
zukiphile

Quote:
The bashers like to hit on the locking block.
I am not a Taurus basher. The PT92 was my first centerfire handgun. I think the safety/decocker is brilliant.

However, I did break two locking blocks. I consider that a reliability issue, even though it is infrequent.
Old February 10, 2010, 02:34 PM   #19
munson1

I give my Taurus 92 Three Cheers!!!!!!!!!! Love Mine

Ken
Old February 10, 2010, 02:37 PM   #20
DiscoRacing

dont have a 92... but... do have a 908 and on the way a 945... havent seen anything bad about the brand yet
Old February 10, 2010, 02:41 PM   #21
crimsondave

Taurus makes some junk, but the PT 92 isn't part of it. Great guns.
Old February 10, 2010, 02:54 PM   #22
phattacorider

I might have to look into the Taurus P92. My girlfriend just got herself a PT709 yesterday and fired 135 rounds through it. She is in love with it! other than being very user specific for it's size, I must say it is an awesome gun! Makes me wonder my next gun because my Cougar 8000F had it's first FTE in 265 rounds.
Old February 10, 2010, 03:24 PM   #23
michael t

I had one. I found didn't fit my hand very well. I think to large of pistol for the caliber and would never consider it for carry. I didn't like the trigger either.
I gave to my son and will stay with my old 1911's . Now son thinks its a great pistol . But he was brained washed by the Beretta he was issued in Army . I will show him error of his ways .
I will say this model Taurus has been reliable. That more than I can say about other 2 Taurus I have bought. They were bad right from the start.
Old February 10, 2010, 03:50 PM   #24
TTUBOB87

How much do these cost?
Old February 10, 2010, 04:21 PM   #25
Paige

Yeah, the 92 is a solid gun. I would love to find a 92 compact.

Tags
p92 , taurus