The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 19, 2006, 09:17 PM   #1
impact

Who likes bow fishing?

In the last past few months I have been running out to the rice feilds shooting fish with my bow ( Recurve ). It's a blast! Someone recked my new truck and my ATV broke. So it's been three weeks sence I been out to the rice feilds. This next weekend I'm going back out there. How many people like to bow fish? I almost like this better then hunting deer.
Old June 19, 2006, 09:28 PM   #2
Renfield

I've been wanting to try it for years but I just never get around to it

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends"
Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Orators are most vehement when their cause is weak" Marcus Tullius Cicero

Old June 19, 2006, 09:31 PM   #3
popsnoob

I also have wanted to try it.. Friends of mine bow fish for carp on the TN river and said it was a blast. Ive seen it on OLN also. What kind of fish are in rice fields?? Carp? -pops
Old June 19, 2006, 09:59 PM   #4
impact

Quote:
What kind of fish are in rice fields?? Carp? -pops
Carp and gars! Well needle nose gars. Saw a few gators but they won't get close to me. Tons of turtles! and lots of snakes. The next time I go out I'm going to take some pics. After night the skeeters are bad. Real bad! Lots to see in the rice feilds. Cool place to be!
Old June 20, 2006, 05:55 AM   #5
jonutarr

i like the idea, but living next to coast all my life has resulted in most on my hunting taken place underwater... Spearfishing! you guys got to try it! here is some friends in there recent wahoo trip on the north coast of NSW Australia if your interested how we do it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfyuq4odkWE
Old June 20, 2006, 07:46 AM   #6
Torsten2806

Jonutarr,

I like it a lot, although I never did it in practice. I prepared everything last spring in order to hunt beavers. We did not find any.
Practicing is easy and recommendable. My bow is a little too heavy for this (65# recurve) but I like it so much. In Finland we have very dark brown water because of the humic acid from the bogs. I think there are good challenges. We will go this summer on pike.

PLEASE! all beginners: there can be knots in the line, the line can get caught during release and the arrow comes back. At least one forum member I heard of lost an eye.

Goggles are a must, at least for the beginning!

Happy Bowfishing!

Torsten
Old June 20, 2006, 10:06 AM   #7
Wild Bill Bucks

I love to do it, I'm just not much good at it.
Old June 20, 2006, 10:48 PM   #8
impact

jonutarr that looks like fun.

Torsten2806. Yah I take great care in making sure the string is free before I take a shot.

Wild Bill. Practice Practice Practice . Them needle nose gars are small and all the big carp seem to hang out in the deep water. Most of my shots are only about 10 yards and even at that I only get one fish in about ten shots. I hit the fish but just can't seem to stick'm. I put a much sharper tip on my arrows. Can't wait to see how they work.
Old June 24, 2006, 01:46 PM   #9
aspen1964

never have tried it although I have seen some interesting old movie shorts with howard hill shooting big gars with his outfit...
Old June 25, 2006, 03:39 PM   #10
trooper3385

I haven't done it in a few years, but I use to go on a regular basis. In South Texas where I'm at, there are several great places on the lakes and rivers to go. I've shot lots of Carp, Needle nose Gar and Alligator Gar. We had a friend that had a ranch on the Nueces river and we shot some monster Alligator Gar down there. Most of them were around 3 to 3 1/2 feet long, but we got several in the 6 to 7 foot range. It would usually take several hours and 10 to 15 arrows. We would shoot them on the river from the bank and then tie the line off on milk jugs so you could keep track of them and keep them from diving. The big ones are nearly impossible to reel in on one or two lines. The needle nose were usually pretty small and skinny, so there alittle harder to hit. The carp out on the lake was alot of fun as well
Old June 25, 2006, 04:03 PM   #11
swampdog

German carp spawn in shallow creeks around here in the spring. There are usually gar in the same creeks. Lots of fun with a bow. I've even taken a few with an improvished spear. A castnet works, too.
Bowfishing gear works well on nutria, too, if you can get close enough.

I used to love spearfishing. I haven't been in a couple of years. I never went for pelagics, but I've shot sheepshead and flounder around inland bridges and amberjack, cobia and some sharks around offshore towers. You REALLY want to kill an amberjack when you hit him, unless you like bouncing off the tower. Ditto, a shark. An icepick is handier than a knife for finishing them. Lots of fun. Shark and cobia are great on the grill. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for amberjack.
Old June 26, 2006, 12:08 PM   #12
Wild Bill Bucks

When they let the water out of Lake Eufaula, it goes down the north canadian river, and seems to bring a lot of gar swimming up river toward the dam. Lots of fun to go bow fishing, although they get pretty big, so take extra arrows and line for your reel. Generally I always manage to stick one big enough to break a line, and I wind up losing an arrow (or two) +1 on the arrow popping back, I've had to duck more than once.
Old June 30, 2006, 11:33 PM   #13
FirstFreedom

Bowfishing is fun....haven't been since I was a teen. Got all the gear to go again now as an adult, so I'm sure I will. I'd like to get a big allie gar.