The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 28, 2013, 06:52 PM   #1
cryogenic419

Teaser

Was at a store today picking up some supplies and saw this on the shelves.
Had every brand/size primer, even those CCI APS strip ones. Pretty much all the powders, if it wasn't in 1 pound cans they had it in heavier jugs.

IMAG0174.jpg

IMAG0175.jpg
Old September 28, 2013, 07:34 PM   #2
cdoc42

Maybe things are improving. I have a Cabela's 8 miles away. NO .45, 230gr FMJ since Christmas, including today and the only thing on the powder shelves was 2 one-pound cans of IMR 7828 and it's pretty much been that way since after Christmas. I haven't been able to get CFE-223 within a 60 mile radius of my Pennsylvania home and a side trip to Maryland was the same way at 3 guns shops.
Old September 28, 2013, 08:49 PM   #3
precision_shooter

Wow, wish I had that kind of stock around here. All I can find are 1lb cans and overpriced at that...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old September 28, 2013, 11:29 PM   #4
pctechdude

Re: Teaser

Cryogenic by any chance is that fin feather & fur? I go to the Ashland store often.
Old September 29, 2013, 07:01 AM   #5
cryogenic419

It is Fin Feather and Fur in Ashland.

I always bought from them up at Camp Perry, decided to swing in there yesterday and check out their actual store after a match I had. I was impressed by what they had and prices.
Old September 29, 2013, 07:40 AM   #6
Kimber84

Teaser

Lol... I was thinking the same thing, had to be Fin. I've been spoiled all my life having them right down the road. In all the traveling I've done I've yet to see a place that rivals their reloading section.
Old September 29, 2013, 08:49 AM   #7
g.willikers

Their web site says they have stores in Canton and Cleveland, too.
Almost makes a guy want to move to northern Ohio.
Almost.
Old September 29, 2013, 11:24 AM   #8
RC20

I am seeing some powder showing up and snagged enough of it to last me a while. Even some 8 lb jugs showed up.

From now on I buy 8 lb jugs and if there is another shortage I will have good reserves. Plan on keeping at least 5 lbs minimum in stock of my favorite two. I don't like to do that but thats the way it is.

Good news is the 8 lb is a lot less expensive and gives me a good reason to invest and have the inventory "sit" for a long time.

Ditto with primers. Keep no less that a couple thousand available.

I have lots of 22 from prior years but will keep an eye on that as well. Again hate to do it but thats the way it is.
Old September 29, 2013, 03:11 PM   #9
cryogenic419

No kidding, I've been to a lot of places and even major retailers like Cabelas can't hold a candle to Fin Feather and Fur, pricewise or selection. I dare say the prices there are damn near comparable to what you can get from some of the bigger online retailers. Even better is the folks they have working in the reloading section seem to be knowledgeable. I just wish they were closer to my house.
Old September 30, 2013, 08:14 AM   #10
pctechdude

Re: Teaser

Lol Ohio isn't to bad, and I agree the reloading section there is tough to beat, including prices. I was there a few weeks ago and picked up an 8lb jug of hp-38 and IMR 8208 Xbr. I'm about an hour away from Ashland, and the same from the Columbus cabelas, so for reloading its a no brainer to head up to Ashland. Plus like previously stated the staff has some pretty good knowledge of what they carry.