The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 27, 2012, 01:38 AM   #1
Rjeezie

Kahr PM9, CM9, MK9?

I know that the MK9 is all stainless and weighs more and also slightly shorter in length, but I didn't see any difference in the dimensions of the PM9 and CM9 from Kahr's website. What is the difference? Which one do you prefer? Does the added weight on the MK9 justify the price jump?
Old December 27, 2012, 02:46 AM   #2
chris in va

The C-series Kahr models have cost saving deletions, such as normally rifled barrel, non-polished/throated feedramp, longer 1/2" trigger pull, less slide machining and one magazine. The PM9 and MK9 are similar to each other, save for the frame.

Really it depends on your needs. I wouldn't get the MK9 for pocket carry, too heavy. That extra mass really helps with follow up shots though.

I have a K9. It's like an improved steel Glock with normal grip angle and better trigger.
Old December 27, 2012, 03:18 AM   #3
Scimmia

Quote:
non-polished/throated feedramp
untrue
Quote:
longer 1/2" trigger pull
untrue

OP, from Kahr's own press release:

Quote:
Differences between the CM models and PM models include: the CM9093 has a conventional rifled barrel instead of the match grade polygonal barrel on Kahr's PM series; the CM slide stop lever is MIM (metal-injection-molded) instead of machined; the CM series slide has fewer machining operations and uses simple engraved markings instead of roll marking; and finally, the CM series are shipped with one magazine instead of two magazines.
Part of the "fewer machining operation" includes eliminating the dovetail front site in favor of a pinned one, the other changes there are cosmetic.

The PM9 has a few more options as well, such as an available black slide, manual safety, etc.

Last edited by Scimmia; December 27, 2012 at 03:25 AM.
Old December 27, 2012, 09:15 AM   #4
Rjeezie

Thanks
Old December 27, 2012, 09:32 AM   #5
nate45

I like my PM9 and I've only held the CM9 and never fired one. Even so, I find it hard to believe, that the differences between the two, would make a significant difference at typical SD ranges.
Old December 27, 2012, 09:37 AM   #6
Rjeezie

It's really weird me... It seems like a lot of people LOVE their Kahr's, but then I run across people who have had issues with theirs (FTE, mag issues, etc.)

I've always wanted to look into getting one, but have kind of been scared off by the issues I've heard about.
Old December 27, 2012, 09:43 AM   #7
Roshi

PM9

I have owned and carried a PM9 for years. I got the PM9 before the CM9 came out. The PM9 dovetailed sights allowed for night sights that I prefer.

I had reliabilty problems with 7 round mags but none at all with any of 6 round mags I have.

I continue to find the PM9 an ideal carry gun. Small and light easily carried in a DeSantis Fly pocket holster but powerful enough to get the job done.
Old December 27, 2012, 10:13 AM   #8
Hairbag

Depends on if you want steel or plastic I've owned just about every kahr pistol except pm40 I still have the K9 elite and the MK9 The MK9 is a rock solid dependable pistol. Usually not always I have found the Kahr steel pistol much more dependable. The Elite series are a thing of function and beauty.
Old December 27, 2012, 10:23 AM   #9
carguychris

Quote:
I have a K9. It's like an improved steel Glock with normal grip angle and better trigger.
Or the Model 3946 that S&W never built.
Old December 27, 2012, 11:37 AM   #10
AH.74

I got a used PM9 a while back and liked it so much I wanted another. This time around I found a great deal on a new CM9. If I hadn't found the good deal originally on the PM9 I would have gone with the CM9 and probably been very happy with it, as I am with the new one I just got.

There is a slight dimensional difference in the slide due to the different machining which was mentioned- the CM9 is just slightly wider across the top overall.

The front sight is also plastic which I don't believe was mentioned. I don't see this as a big drawback and do plan on getting the front Mepro sight sooner or later. I did put a set of Mepro's on the PM9.

All that being said, I don't find enough of a difference to be significant.
Old December 27, 2012, 12:39 PM   #11
Rjeezie

Nobody mentioned the MK9 much. I guess people don't think the steel and extra weight adds the value or is worth the extra money
Old December 27, 2012, 01:33 PM   #12
chris in va

What's untrue about thise statements? The C series does not have the 3/8" 'elite' trigger pull of the P series. Unless they changed something this year. Also the chamber isn't finished to the same degree as the higher models. I actually looked at them the last gun show and verified for myself.
Old December 27, 2012, 01:59 PM   #13
AH.74

The elite trigger is an upgrade as far as I'm aware. Regular models have the exact same trigger pull- I know my PM9 and CM9 do. They are exactly the same.

I have heard nothing about different chamber finish- only the rifling with regard to the barrels. I will have to inspect mine later and see if I notice anything.

Quote:
Nobody mentioned the MK9 much. I guess people don't think the steel and extra weight adds the value or is worth the extra money
Honestly I haven't ever had the chance to check one out- they're just not that commonly seen in my area; Kahrs in general are not easy to be found in local stores. But they weight would put me off; if I want to carry something that heavy and don't mind something a bit larger I'll just go with a Glock 26.
Old December 27, 2012, 02:59 PM   #14
Rjeezie

Well the reason I mentioned the MK9 is that some people were saying how snappy the PM9/CM9 was... MK9 is the same size just with added weight, so figured some people would like that size with the extra weight to offset the snappiness
Old December 27, 2012, 03:22 PM   #15
Scimmia

Quote:
What's untrue about thise statements? The C series does not have the 3/8" 'elite' trigger pull of the P series. Unless they changed something this year. Also the chamber isn't finished to the same degree as the higher models. I actually looked at them the last gun show and verified for myself.
On the trigger, the "C" series certainly does have the 3/8" pull "Elite" trigger. This isn't something that changed this year, for over ten years now, the only pistol Kahr has made with the 1/2" pull is the K9 NYPD model. The triggers on the CM9, MK9, and standard PM9 are identical. Just in the last couple of months, Kahr has introduced a new "Enhanced" trigger with a 1/4" pull, but only on the PM9 with a manual safety. All of this has been verified multiple times by people on Kahrtalk who have asked Kahr directly.

For the chamber finish, ALL Kahr chambers and feed ramps are nickel plated and polished. What differences did you see exactly?
Old December 27, 2012, 03:23 PM   #16
Erich

My CM9 has the same trigger pull and same degree of feed ramp polishing as my P9 Covert. FWIW.

The CM series is quite a value.
Old December 27, 2012, 04:10 PM   #17
AH.74

Quote:
Well the reason I mentioned the MK9 is that some people were saying how snappy the PM9/CM9 was.
If you want to experience snappy, try an LCP. That's snappy. The PM9 is not snappy, at least not to me. Actually pretty tame for what it is. A Grip sleeve or piece of inner tube certainly helps for range sessions.
Old December 27, 2012, 04:41 PM   #18
Roland Thunder

PM9 and Polygonal Rifling

since the PM9 has polygonal rifling, would that mean a person should not shoot lead from a PM9
Old December 27, 2012, 05:26 PM   #19
BigD_in_FL

I alternate a CM9 with a 642 in my pocket - It has fired everything I have put through it, including my handloads, with zero malfs - I trust it to work when I pull the trigger. Stay away from the 7 round mags for it - they have issues. And go to the Kahr forum and follow the tutorial someone made about what to do with your mags initially - the process seems to prevent jamming on the third round and takes about 5 minutes
Old December 27, 2012, 05:46 PM   #20
kahrguy

Rjeezie are you going to try to pocket carry these. The mk is a bit heavy for that as it pulls on the pockets even with its size. If not maybe add the CW and P series to your group. Only 1 1/2oz heavier than the cm/pm , 1/2" more barrel and round round longer grip. Same lgs price as the cm and way easier to shot and control. Maybe just to large.
Old December 27, 2012, 06:32 PM   #21
KyJim

Quote:
since the PM9 has polygonal rifling, would that mean a person should not shoot lead from a PM9
I would think that to be the case -- at least you would have to "de-lead" the barrel very often. You probably don't hear about this with Kahrs because they are purchased in far smaller numbers than Glock and the average Kahr is probably shot a lot less than the average Glock.
Old December 27, 2012, 06:36 PM   #22
wild cat mccane

Don't for a second believe people when they say the MK has less recoil than the CM or PM.

That is flat wrong. It is total assumption from non owners.
Old December 27, 2012, 06:55 PM   #23
Officer's Match

Mine is an earlier shorter slide PM9 DLC. It eats anything I feed it and even slingshots. Love the dovetail sights too (mine wears 24/7 XS Big Dots).

Old December 27, 2012, 07:00 PM   #24
chris in va

I apologize, guess my information was wrong. Four years ago I looked at the various models and those were the stats given to me. If Kahr is putting the 'Elite' triggers in all the models now, they're an even better deal.

Kahr did reply back to my email stating the CW9 barrel won't fit in my K9 so I could shoot lead out of it. Oh well.
Old December 27, 2012, 07:17 PM   #25
wild cat mccane

I am not sure that the MK series is still shorter?

Kahr changed the length of the PM and CM series without a word on why.

Did I mask my disdain for this company good enough? (past PM40 owner)