The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old March 17, 2014, 03:03 PM   #1
ate3quartr

BATF buying lots of ammo at gun shows

Folks,

I will admit I have not read every thread in this forum, so I don't know if the following has already been discussed. I have no reason to disbelieve the story.

I spent some time this past weekend with my brother-in-law. He's a retired cop and gun enthusiast/collector, and talk came around to guns. I mentioned I don't shoot as much anymore, since I'm concerned I cannot replace the ammo I'd use. He said he was just at a gun show and observed an individual buying thousands, perhaps tens of thousands, of dollars worth of ammo. He made some inquiries and was told the guy was from the BATF. He approached the guy, identified himself as a retired cop, and asked why he was buying so much ammo. The guy admitted being in the BATF and stated "we need lots of ammo". However, he was buying all calibers, not just ammo for standard BATF carry weapons.

It seems the government has accepted they cannot infringe on our right to keep and bear arms, but those arms will be useless without ammunition.
Old March 17, 2014, 03:10 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry, but without any more than hearsay this is nothing more than an elaborate conspiracy theory.

The ammo makers have already told us what's happening and why. It's the free market system and panic creating panic.

By the way, almost all ammunition except 22LR is in plentiful supply again.

Do you have evidence beyond, "my brother-in-law talked to this guy..."?
Old March 17, 2014, 03:13 PM   #3
Glenn E. Meyer

The local stores here are flooded with 223. I would think the evil government would try to control that. But I don't see it.

Hmmm?
Old March 17, 2014, 05:22 PM   #4
Tom Servo
Staff

First off, this is unverified and pretty much impossible to verify.

Second, for all we know, the guy could have been a BATFE agent buying ammunition for his personal use. We have nothing to prove he was sent to scoff it all up by the Bureau.

There's really nothing in this related to law or civil rights, so I'm going to go ahead and close it.
Closed Thread