The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 1, 2014, 04:45 AM   #51
Mike40-11

The whole OTM vs. BTHP is whole 'nuther, though related, discussion. Here's a good article by a guy who did the legal review for the SMK,
http://sadefensejournal.com/wp/?p=1262
Old March 2, 2014, 09:12 AM   #52
thallub

Quote:
Wait, I found it. Item 2140, 165-gr. hollowpoint boattail expanding bullet suitable for use in hunting applications becase it expands due to the larger hollow point and the progressive thinning of the jacket towards the tip.
That bullet was in the Sierra GameKing line.
Old March 3, 2014, 08:40 AM   #53
CowTowner

Quote:
That bullet was in the Sierra GameKing line.
Still is according to their website.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old March 3, 2014, 11:07 PM   #54
Mike Irwin
Staff

"That bullet was in the Sierra GameKing line."

Yeah, that sort of lines up with my description of it:

"I just looked through Sierra's online catalog of .30-caliber bullets, and at one time they offered true expanding hollowpoint bullets, suitable for hunting, that differed from the MatchKings in that as the jacket got closer to the tip of the bullet, it got progressively thinner. It appears that they no longer offer such bullets.

MatchKings are not suitable for hunting (something that the website also states) because they perform like a full metal jacket bullet and do not expand."

I never said that the GameKing = the MatchKing.

Their construction style is similar, in that they are both base drawn bullets, not nose drawn like military style FMJ bullets, but their particulars are different because they're designed to do different things.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 4, 2014, 12:16 PM   #55
thallub

Quote:
Their construction style is similar, in that they are both base drawn bullets, not nose drawn like military style FMJ bullets, but their particulars are different because they're designed to do different things.
Yes. Someday i will regale the board with my shooting of a big bull elk with a .30-06 and the 168 grain MatchKing bullet. Myself, a dumb soldier, and about 15 sailors searched for over seven hours and found the elk just before dark.

Somewhere i have some .30 caliber 165 grain GameKing hollow points but can't find them today.

These are the .224 caliber 55 grain Game King bullets and a .223 round loaded with that bullet. Last fall my grand daughter bang flopped a 100 pound doe with that round.