The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 10, 2012, 08:07 PM   #1
flyguy958

Failure to Fire

I'm not sure of this is a revolver or primer issue. Short and to the point.

Reloads> 148 HBWC, 3.1 BE, Tula TULSP

Model 60 S&W> All go bang single action. 1 in 5 fail to fire double action. Second try double action no bang. Try single action, Bang. Factory ammo and other reloads with federal primers go bang.

Model 686 S&W> All ammo goes bang double and single action.
Old August 10, 2012, 08:15 PM   #2
tkglazie

tula = wolf. A quick google search will find thread after thread of unhappy tula/wolf primer users. I say use up what you have and restock with Fed (which as you have seen works when other wont). I had to search through hell and high water to restock my Fed SPP primers and finally found a source (PV is out, as is Cabellas and many others).

They are worth the effort.
Old August 11, 2012, 03:03 AM   #3
Shootest

Just a thought. I had a similar problem once a long time ago and found that the primers were just not seated quite deep enough. The longer hammer fall in single action was enough to finish seating and ignite them. I have not used Tula primers but understand that they are a little harder to seat. Again just a thought.
Old August 11, 2012, 05:15 PM   #4
tkglazie

Excellent point Shootest. It makes perfect sense that a certain brand of primer develops a bad reputation not because the primers are inherently "bad", but because they are difficult to seat properly. A hard primer not bottomed out is a perfect recipe for a FTF.

I look at Unique sort of like this. I know it is a good powder, maybe great, but personally I dont trust that I can throw a consistent charge with it so I dont use it.

I am a big enough man to accept my limitations at this point in my reloading career (just under 5K rounds) and stick with easy to meter powders and Fed primers.
Old August 11, 2012, 08:13 PM   #5
flyguy958

Thanks for the input, seems odd that if the primers were not seated they would always fire single action. I'm still thinking I have a weak spring.
Old August 11, 2012, 09:10 PM   #6
tkglazie

Quote:
I'm still thinking I have a weak spring.
My theory with guns (and cars, or anything I trust my life with) is that if you doubt the part, replace it. The last thing you need when you heft a gun is doubt in your mind. A new spring (or set of springs) is money well spent if it puts your mind at ease.
Old August 12, 2012, 07:25 AM   #7
warningshot

This would be a great YT shot.

Try 50 rounds of Factory UMC, or 50 rounds of anything Federal, or anything Winchester, using Double Action on all 50, and let us know. Pictures are always helpful. Spring for a box of 50 WWB and you will know. So will we. Pictures. We just love picture.

Last edited by warningshot; August 12, 2012 at 07:31 AM.