The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 15, 2014, 10:25 AM   #1
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

New Idaho Firearms Laws

With Senate Bill S1254 (Campus Carry) becoming law on the 12th, another Firearms related bill has just passed both houses and is before the Governor. This bill is a slightly different twist on State nullification laws. It makes it a crime for a State Actor to assist in confiscations by the Feds.

Quote:
FEDERAL FIREARM, MAGAZINE AND REGISTER BAN ENFORCEMENT ACT - Adds to existing law to provide legislative intent; to provide certain prohibited acts regarding firearms by public employees and officers of governmental entities, to provide penalties and to establish that certain laws are unenforceable in Idaho by state and local government officials, agents or employees.

Senate Bill S1332 Actions:
  • 02/10 Introduced; read first time; referred to JR for Printing
  • 02/11 Reported Printed; referred to State Affairs
  • 02/14 Reported out of Committee with Do Pass Recommendation; Filed for second reading
  • 02/17 Read second time; filed for Third Reading
  • 02/19 Read third time in full - PASSED - 34-0-1
    Title apvd - to House
  • 02/20 Received from the Senate, Filed for First Reading
    Read First Time, Referred to State Affairs
  • 03/10 Reported out of Committee with Do Pass Recommendation, Filed for Second Reading
  • 03/11 Read second time; Filed for Third Reading
  • 03/12 Read Third Time in Full - PASSED - 68-0-2

Title apvd - to Senate
  • 03/13 Returned From House Passed; referred to enrolling
    Reported enrolled; signed by President; to House for signature of Speaker
  • 03/14 Received from Senate; Signed by Speaker; Returned to Senate
    Reported signed by the Speaker & ordered delivered to Governor
This law is not negating what the feds may or may not do, it is merely criminalizing actions by State and Local actors who help the Feds, in lieu of warrants by a Court of proper jurisdiction.

Such laws have been upheld in other States in the past, so I see no reason why this won't work for Idaho.
Old March 19, 2014, 06:12 AM   #2
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
I have a few concerns as a student. I was looking through this bill and I couldn't find any language that protected students with Enhanced permits from disciplinary measures for violating school prohibition policies.If true, this is not an expansion of rights but a reduction since with my Washington permit I could carry and not be in violation of state law. The schools can ask you to leave and invoke trespass law, but it was legal to carry. Now you require a more expensive permit and restrictions on locations are listed. (I hope I just missed it or didn't understand it with my meager legalese reading skills)