The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old March 17, 2014, 02:57 PM   #1
SimbaLion

State commits NICS fraud

IL has submitted fraudulent information about my background to the FBI NICS system. This is causing problems for me, so I am trying to have the error corrected.

I called 877-FBI-NICS and they've been completely incapable of helping, much less understanding the nature of the problem, so far. Nobody has been able to disclose who it was in IL who submitted this erroneous information, and so I've been unable to contact them to have it easily fixed.

What is the best way to clear something like this up? Surely this is not the first time it's ever happened, I am hoping some of you might have some experience with this.

And this may just be my opinion, but how is it legal for a state agency to submit criminal background information without providing paperwork which supports their claim? What happened to innocent until proven guilty?
Old March 17, 2014, 04:30 PM   #2
BarryLee

I assume you’ve already read the information related to formal appeals, but if not I’ve provided a link below.

If you can’t get this taken care of through the formal process you may need an attorney. Also, be aware that the government moves very slow, so don’t expect anything to happen overnight.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nic...s/appeals-home
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old March 17, 2014, 05:17 PM   #3
Tom Servo
Staff

We don't want to get into any personal information that could compromise you here, but can you tell us what it was Illinois submitted and how you suspect they did so?
Old March 17, 2014, 06:15 PM   #4
mehavey

Did you really mean "fraudulent" ? (which implies a deliberate action to deceive)

...or did you mean "incorrect" information was entered into the system when
the LGS (or state of Illinois) typed it in?

If the latter (as Tom Servo has suggested) what was its nature?
Old March 18, 2014, 12:34 PM   #5
SimbaLion

Quote:
We don't want to get into any personal information that could compromise you here, but can you tell us what it was Illinois submitted and how you suspect they did so?
They reported to NICS that I'd been subject to an order of committment from a judge, an "adjudication". Such a thing has never occured in my life.

Quote:
Did you really mean "fraudulent" ? (which implies a deliberate action to deceive)

...or did you mean "incorrect" information was entered into the system when
the LGS (or state of Illinois) typed it in?
You are applying a double standard. If we break the law with our guns, we're told our ignorance of the law is not a defense, we should have known better. When the state submits a complete lie to a federal system, they are to be treated the same way.

And again I have to wonder why NICS allows information like this to be submitted without some kind of paperwork proving the information to be accurate. No such paperwork exists in this case, unless it was forged.

Quote:
I assume you’ve already read the information related to formal appeals, but if not I’ve provided a link below.
Yep, I filed an appeal and FBI NICS refused to hear it. They said they won't hear an appeal unless I am denied a gun purchase. So in order to clear up my record I have to buy a gun. As Bill Cosby would say, that's brain damage.
Old March 18, 2014, 12:43 PM   #6
mehavey

Quote:
When the state submits a complete lie to a federal system,
they are to be treated the same way.
First, the state did not submit a lie. They submitted incorrect information.
That could be from an incorrectly-checked box on a computer screen, or from
identity mix-up [including identity theft]. If your SSN was used by the state
in making this entry, I'd hotfoot it to a credit bureau/state investigating agency
ASAP to along dig into that possibility.

Second. Stay detached and professional. Accusing the state of deliberate fraud
without more information will do nothing except get you hung up on.

Third. If you find that your identity has been stolen, consider getting a lawyer ASAP.
Old March 18, 2014, 12:49 PM   #7
SimbaLion

Quote:
Stay detached and professional. Accusing the state of deliberate fraud
without more information will do nothing except get you hung up on.
It wasn't identity theft. They lied. It's fraud.

I appreciate your advice, they have to be treated with kid gloves because apparently their ego is made of shiny glass and I wouldn't want to break it. But it was fraud.

Again, why does NICS accept a report of this kind without paperwork to back it up? I'm not expecting anyone here to have an answer for that, but everyone should be aware. Such a system is not a legitimate piece of American government.
Old March 18, 2014, 12:58 PM   #8
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimbaLion
It wasn't identity theft. They lied. It's fraud.
How do you figure it was deliberate and potentially malicious?

When dealing with bureaucrats, it's helpful to remember Hanlon's razor: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon%27s_razor
Old March 18, 2014, 01:00 PM   #9
SimbaLion

Quote:
How do you figure it was deliberate and potentially malicious?
Because it isn't the first time they've lied to try and exercise gun control where they have no right to. And because it's IL.
Old March 18, 2014, 01:03 PM   #10
mehavey

If If were your lawyer, I'd advise that you are headed for a fall.
I'd then recommend you back off, take two aspirin, and let me dig into the background.

You want to find out what happened
You want things cleared up
You want your FOID card (or whatever)

...and most important, ensure that your identity is -- in fact -- still yours.

Old March 18, 2014, 01:11 PM   #11
Salmoneye

You do not define what "problems" this alleged misinformation is causing you...

You even insist you have not tried to buy a gun, so clearly have not been denied by NICS, so I am at a loss to understand what the issue really is...
Old March 18, 2014, 01:12 PM   #12
SimbaLion

Quote:
You want to find out what happened
You want things cleared up
I know what happened, they lied. I am trying to get things cleared up but I've been stone walled at every turn, so far.

I'm no longer an IL resident, I left that state as fast as I could once I discovered how corrupt it is. Their FOID card is a crooked operation, I'm never going back. Their politicians would rather see people raped and murdered in cold blood than allow citizens to defend themselves.

Quote:
Seriously? I'm not going to dignify this. Classic case of "it didn't happen to me so what's the problem?"
Old March 18, 2014, 01:16 PM   #13
Tinner666

Did you check with Todd, or Molly at Illinois Carry? Looks like local would be your best resource.
Old March 18, 2014, 01:33 PM   #14
dogtown tom

OP.....take a deep breath and retell the ENTIRE story.......

Quote:
SimbaLion IL has submitted fraudulent information about my background to the FBI NICS system. This is causing problems for me.....
Causing what kind of problems?
Did you attempt to buy a firearm and were denied?

Quote:
I called 877-FBI-NICS and they've been completely incapable of helping, much less understanding the nature of the problem, so far
I doubt they are incapable or cannot understand the problem, since they deal with it daily.

Quote:
Yep, I filed an appeal and FBI NICS refused to hear it. They said they won't hear an appeal unless I am denied a gun purchase.
So what exactly are you appealing?

Quote:
SimbaLion
Quote:
Quote:
Seriously? I'm not going to dignify this. Classic case of "it didn't happen to me so what's the problem?"
Yeah, SERIOUSLY.
You come on this forum and a member asks you a valid question and he gets the above response.......that's rude dude.
It's clear from your posts that you:
1. Didn't attempt to buy a gun.
2. Didn't undergo an FBI NICS check when attempting to buy a gun.
3. Didn't get an NTN (NICS Transaction Number)
4. Didn't get denied.
5. Didn't appeal a denial.
6. May not understand what FBI NICS actually does.

No attempted purchase, no NTN, no denial by FBI NICS= no possibility of filing an appeal of something that hasn't happened.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; March 18, 2014 at 02:02 PM.
Old March 18, 2014, 01:34 PM   #15
45_auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbalion
They said they won't hear an appeal unless I am denied a gun purchase.
If you haven't tried to buy a gun and been denied, how can you claim that the information in NICS is affecting you?

EDIT: Dogtown Tom expressed my thoughts much more eloquently at the same time I was typing!
Old March 18, 2014, 02:13 PM   #16
Frank Ettin
Staff

And this is becoming a giant waste of time. If the OP has a real problem, he needs a real lawyer.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old March 18, 2014, 02:18 PM   #17
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
They reported to NICS that I'd been subject to an order of committment from a judge, an "adjudication"
How did you find out about this? As others have pointed out, you seem to have had no actual contact with the NICS system.

Quote:
I'm no longer an IL resident, I left that state as fast as I could once I discovered how corrupt it is. Their FOID card is a crooked operation, I'm never going back. Their politicians would rather see people raped and murdered in cold blood than allow citizens to defend themselves.
OK. If you want our help, you'll need to give us something more to go on. With what little you've told us, the best I can suggest is that you get in touch with an attorney, who can then get in touch with the appropriate agency.

If you just want to make a political point, this isn't the right venue.
Closed Thread