The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 9, 2013, 01:07 PM   #1
QuarterHorse

Handgun optics

Picking up my Ruger SBH Hunter in 45 Colt tonight and was curious what you guys are running for optics that handgun hunt? I have some pretty stout loads to try out and am thinking a 50-75 yard zero.

I was thinking something in a 2x but for sighting in was thinking something that could bring the sight picture closer so an adjustable for the bag shooting could be nice.

I know the smaller glass is going to make light gathering difficult which may be an issue, the pigs I shot this last year were both shot RIGHT after sun up. The others in the group RIGHT at sun down.

Thoughts and suggestions?

Thanks
Old May 9, 2013, 01:56 PM   #2
BoogieMan

I have a 22/45 with a cheap red dot. Great little shooter and very accurate. Easy to use out to 100yds, 10rnd 4" grps with a flyer. There are RD's with 2x mag available and that may be a good choice for you. I also have a 460xvr with a Weaver 4x on top. I would I plan to be shooting this more in the 50-150 range. Nice fine cross that doesnt cover the target up. I like the idea of a 2-7x but the problem is that they are large and heavy. By time you get a mount, rail and scope you would be surprised how much weight goes on the gun. If you plan to be 50 with an occasional 100yd I would lean toward a RD.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old May 9, 2013, 02:19 PM   #3
Grant D

I had a 2X stainless Leupold scope on my model 629 S&W and it worked fine out to a hundred yards
Old May 9, 2013, 07:42 PM   #4
22-rimfire

If you mount a scope, I'd go with a 2x. I have a 2x Leupoold EER on my SRH.

In the process of trying out a Ultradot unit but don't have much experience yet. Red dots are quicker to get on targt than scopes for most.
Old May 9, 2013, 10:24 PM   #5
QuarterHorse

Thanks for the input fellas!
Old May 11, 2013, 07:20 PM   #6
QuarterHorse

Well I think I may be going with a Bushnell Trophy Red Dot. For whatever reason the shops around Des Moines are short on handgun scopes. I did get a look at the Bushnell Trophy 2-7 and it seems "claustrophobic" to look through. Maybe it's something I'd get used to? I don't know I think I may end up with the red dot for starters. If I come across a good deal on a 2x scope I may snag it up just to try some time.
Old May 12, 2013, 09:49 PM   #7
bluetopper

With a 2x there's virtually no or very little magnification. If you're going for group sizing at 100yds there is much better choices.
I like the Simmons Pro Hunter 2-6x I have two of them on seperate Contender barrels and going to buy a third. Inexpensive and really do a fine job for me.
Old May 12, 2013, 10:12 PM   #8
QuarterHorse

Well there are trade offs in everything I suppose. In all reality this gun isn't going to be set up for bullseye matches, it's a hunting gun. I think with that being said low or no power scope/red dot is going to be the direction I go.

I'll get some pics up soon of the new rig and set up.
Old May 13, 2013, 12:47 AM   #9
BIG P

Ilike the 2x7 Nikon on My 454.
Old May 13, 2013, 10:24 PM   #10
QuarterHorse

Bought the red dot, got home after a night in the fields trying to snag some straggler turkeys, and IT DOESN'T FIT IN BETWEEN THE RINGS! Guess it's back to Scheels to return the red dot and keep trying.
Old May 14, 2013, 03:24 PM   #11
OkieCruffler

I use a Bushnell 2-6X on just about everything but at 100yrds and closer they hardly ever come off of 2X.
Old May 14, 2013, 04:10 PM   #12
QuarterHorse

Picked up the 2-6x32 and will get installed tonight, maybe a range trip too!
Old May 14, 2013, 07:06 PM   #13
QuarterHorse

Couple of quick photos

.......and of course the ranges around here are closed on Tuesdays......
Old May 14, 2013, 07:07 PM   #14
newfrontier45

Not to be snotty but I wouldn't expect a Bushnell Trophy to last long on a heavy duty hunting sixgun. Maybe with standard .45Colt loads but nothing heavier. The Elite yes, Trophy no.

And I still think that a variable on a revolver is unnecessary weight and bulk but good luck.

Quote:
With a 2x there's virtually no or very little magnification. If you're going for group sizing at 100yds there is much better choices.
If you're having issues getting consistency at 100yds with a 2x, you probably have not matched your target to your scope. You don't need to see a 1" target to shoot 1" groups. You need a target you can consistently bracket your sights or optic against. You can shoot MOA with buckhorns with the right target.
Old May 14, 2013, 07:18 PM   #15
QuarterHorse

That's weird, I've read a TON of reviews on these on LOADS of forums recommending this on these to T/C pistols in rifle calibers.....

Thanks for your input though,.....
Old May 14, 2013, 08:50 PM   #16
OkieCruffler

Never used one on a 45. Use them on 444, 358 bower, 30-30AI. I think you'll be okay.
Old May 14, 2013, 09:04 PM   #17
22-rimfire

Quote:
If you're having issues getting consistency at 100yds with a 2x, you probably have not matched your target to your scope. You don't need to see a 1" target to shoot 1" groups. You need a target you can consistently bracket your sights or optic against. You can shoot MOA with buckhorns with the right target.
I'm afraid that I don't understand what you stated. Are you saying that your sight picture in the handgun scope should be 1" at 100 yds to be able to shoot well at that distance? If that is the case, I disagree, but we all do things our own way. Even at 6x you will still have a pretty wide field of view. Maybe you can explain. The vertical and horizontal grid lines are there to allow you to "bracket".
Old May 14, 2013, 11:05 PM   #18
OkieCruffler

I have a great target that I use at 100. It's 4 black squares arranged so that my 2X scope just fills in the lines between. If I'm off just a little light shows thru.
Old May 15, 2013, 07:56 AM   #19
newfrontier45

Quote:
Are you saying that your sight picture in the handgun scope should be 1" at 100 yds to be able to shoot well at that distance?
No, I'm saying that you don't need a tiny target or the ability to see a tiny target to shoot tiny groups. You need a target that you can consistently bracket your crosshairs against. For example, when shooting iron sight handguns at 25yds, I use a 3" black square to bracket the front sight against. Or a 5" black square at 50yds.
Old May 15, 2013, 08:08 AM   #20
OkieCruffler

Here's the target I use at 100 yrds.
Old May 15, 2013, 08:20 AM   #21
Rifleman1776

I was going to warn you about the fit problem with Ruger rings. My Redhawk is looking for a new red dot but none, so far, fit the rings. I had an Aimpoint 1000 for years until the .44 mag. recoil killed it.
As for scopes, a handgun is not a long range rifle. You only need to line up the eye with the target. A 1 1/2 or 2X scope is perfect for you needs. BTW, many scopes need high rings to clear the bells from the pistol.
Old May 15, 2013, 05:55 PM   #22
QuarterHorse

I'm going to make a filler panel where the front pin went. I may even pull the rear sight and make a filler per say and keep them both in my tool kit that goes to the range/hunting pack with me.

Can't wait to ring this thing out!