The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 25, 2013, 02:38 PM   #1
mikew1215

Which is easiest: Savage AccuTrigger or Marlin Pro Fire Trigger?

I'm a casual shooter. I'm getting a .22 bolt action for my son and I to do a little plinking with.
Beyond the necessary cleaning, I don't like working on the guns too much.
Which adjustable trigger is easiest?
Savages's AccuTrigger or Marlin's Pro Fire Trigger?
Or, shoud I just get a Savage Stevens 300 with a non adjustable trigger and have a gun smith lighten it down to 3.5 - 4 lbs?
Thanks for the help.
Old August 25, 2013, 06:41 PM   #2
baddarryl

Don't know about the Accutrigger, but I have a ProFire on my xl7 and it is fantastic.
Old August 25, 2013, 07:09 PM   #3
ligonierbill

One screw to adjust the Accutrigger - couldn't be easier.
Old August 25, 2013, 07:51 PM   #4
TMW89

I have a savage Mk ii f with the accutrigger, its awesome, and I think they are already set all the way down from the factory. Mine was. But really, its only two screws, and you can get right to it. Just don't lose the little tool for it.
1942 Mosin Nagant "Natalia"
Old August 26, 2013, 12:18 PM   #5
Rimfire5

I don't think anyone can answer your question objectively unless they have had experience with both the Savage and a Mossberg triggers.

All I can comment on is the Savage AccuTrigger.
I got one with a Model 10 in .308 about 3 years ago and liked it so much that I bought another Savage about 4 months ago. Both were extremely accurate out of the box, partly because the triggers were both set at 2 lbs 9 oz and 2 lbs 11 oz from the factory respectively.

After shooting my original Savage, my son and three of my range buddies eventually bought 7 Savages (3 in .308, 3 in .223 and 1 in .22-250) among them. That speaks volumes about how people really like the Savage trigger and the inherent accuracy of their rifles. All 7 were also very accurate right out of the box and all the triggers came from the factory set at under 3 lbs.

The AccuTrigger is easy to adjust so I adjusted both of mine to shot at 2 lbs 1 oz (That seemed to suit me just perfectly).
Old August 26, 2013, 02:36 PM   #6
ntg

I have a Marlin XT22 with said trigger as well as a Marlin X7 with it. I don't own any savages (and have nothing against them). I've shot and worked on many savages with the trigger. I've shot a Mk II 22lr of my friends with it.

Both are very good triggers IMO, and you can't go wrong with either.

And in case you hear it, the one did not copy the other. They have similar appearance, but work differently inside.

My 2 cents.
Old August 26, 2013, 03:38 PM   #7
Huffmanite

Agree with ntg.

Have no Savage rifles with the accutrigger, but do own 4 Marlins with their Pro Fire....3 centerfire and a XT22. Have pulled the triggers of several of my shooting buddies that own Savage rifles with an accu trigger.
Not much difference that I could tell.

Can affirm that at least a couple of my buddies did replace their accu triggers to obtain one with a lighter trigger pull. Talking benchrest shooters with Savage actioned rifles they'd rebarreled and etc.