The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 2, 2013, 12:54 PM   #1
Skans

UZI Model A.....Open Bolt?

Were there ever any UZI Model A semi-auto open-bolt guns made/imported? I was under the impression that all semi-auto UZI's were closed bolt guns, but I've learned never to say never.

I ran across this on Gunbroker: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=330839999

Now, this thing just doesn't look Kosher to me (probably why it's no longer for sale). But it got me wondering if there ever were any semi-auto open-bolt UZIs?

BTW, I posted this here instead of the semi forum because it's most likely going to be someone knowledgeable about NFA guns that would know the answer.
Old March 2, 2013, 08:12 PM   #2
happycamper

You are correct. All (legal) semi auto Uzi's imported were closed bolt guns.

When that auction was first listed, I messaged the seller and he told me he was selling it for his Grandfather and that he knew what he was talking about with the gun.

Then I see he told people to quit bidding. I'm guessing something on the gun had been modified.

I could tell the 3 position selector was not original and the bolt held back while the cocking knob was forward was also not factory.
Old March 2, 2013, 09:37 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

That gun dates to the time when machineguns could be manufactured or converted from semi-autos for sale to individuals. It looks like it was converted to selective fire in Germany (Dauer = full auto, Einzel = semi-auto, Sicher = safe) then imported by Action Arms. It should have been sold on a Form 4 as a registered machinegun. If it is now semi-auto only, someone may have messed with it believing that it would be legal if it were converted to semi. If my surmise is correct, BATFE should have a record of the gun, and it may in fact be registered and legal.

Jim
Old March 3, 2013, 08:59 AM   #4
Willie Lowman

Wrong.

Action Arms never imported any full autos.

Importation of transferable full autos ended in '68.

The D E S lowers have been available in parts kits here for years. Any work done to that gun was done in the states. There is no changing a full auto back to semi. If that gun was registered it can't be unregistered. If it wasn't registered before '86, modifying it so a open bolt will fit in the gun (or modifying the bolt) is illegal.
Old March 4, 2013, 10:32 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Not quite. Under some circumstances, a registered gun can be "unregistered" and removed from the NFRTR. And a registered machinegun can be converted to a semi-auto, or even destroyed; in the latter case, it can be removed from the NFRTR on proof of destruction (not deactivation). What can't be done legally is for an unregistered machinegun to be converted to semi-auto with the idea that it then will be legal.

Jim