The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 24, 2000, 12:50 AM   #1
sgtar15

I hope some one can help me with this. I have a shotgun,and was told it is WWI vintage.

Description:
-20" barrel/pump
-wood stock w/ diamond checkering on fore end
-left side is marked "Proof tested/12 guage/ 2 3/4 chamber"
-right side is marked "J. Stevens Arms Company/Division of Savage Arms Corp./Chicopee(?) Falls Mass, USA"
-on bottom by trigger is serial #278xx
-on left side of receiver is Model #620

There are other various two digit stamping, possible arsenal markings. Any help is very much appreciated.

sgtar15
Old August 24, 2000, 08:09 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

The Savage Model 620 wasn't introduced until 1927. It basically was a modernization of the Model 520. The 620 did not have the characteristic hump of the 520. Mechanically the 620 is identical to the 520.
The 520 was indeed offered in a Riot Gun model. It was simply a field-grade version equipped with a 20 inch cylinder bore barrel. Some guns had a checkered stock and foerarm while others were plain. A quantity of he 520 Riot Gun was put in arsenal storage and pulled out again for WWII. Some even saw use in Vietnam after being put into arsenal storage again after WWII. The 620 may have had a limited Riot Gun run made though none of my books show any such run. They do state that sales of the 520 were slow though. Off hand I'd say that you most likely have a commercial version that was cut down by someone. It's not WWI vintage but is pre-WWII vintage.
BTW-I was looking at a 520 recently at a show that had been a prison guard gun (still had the prison name stamped on it) and the seller was asking $150. Came real close to buying it too, but I had other priorities at the show.
Old August 24, 2000, 12:52 PM   #3
sgtar15

Thanks,
Your info confirms what others have said.

sgtar15