The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 18, 2009, 02:53 PM   #1
Y-man

Can I attach a fabricated stock to my Mossberg's stock-bolt?

I need your advice; and maybe you could ask a few friends. I got a Mossberg 500A 12-gauge shotgun. It came Pistol Grip Only. Well, I needed a stock (Which are hard to buy/ come by in my neck of the woods.) so I did some fabrication/ modification.

I kept it simple: I welded an “L-shaped” wire-type stock (Made out of a strong, springy steel rod derived from a screwdriver.) to the steel bolt that fastens the grip to the receiver. Once I tightened the bolt as normal to the shotgun grip: it was good to go: nice tight wire-stock. Picture attached.

My worry is this: I’m no engineer, but wouldn’t this put some stress on the bolt-hole of the receiver? Might repeated firing cause the Shotgun receiver to possibly fracture and even crack? Normally: the stress of recoil/ impact of firing taken by the stock (Or PG) is spread on the flat end of the receiver (Where the stock or PG contacts the receiver.) but my modification puts all the impact at the point where the bolt screws in.

*I haven’t tested my modification yet, but am I setting myself up for a cracked receiver? (Or worse?)
*Is my angle of the stock okay? It is straight along the “line of recoil”, it should be okay... What do you think?
*LOP is about 11 inches: and this is comfortable. But is it okay?
*No cheek-weld at all. I guess I’ll have to live with that.

Your opinion and answers will be appreciated...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Y-man's Wire-Stock.jpg (45.8 KB, 141 views)
Old November 18, 2009, 03:25 PM   #2
oneounceload

Interesting fabrication; however to address your pother comment - plastic replacement stocks for the 500 are one of the most common items in the shotgun world. They're available new, used in many configurations.

NOT saying your won't work, 11 inches seems VERY short - over an inch shorter than the average youth stock. It appears it's going to be difficult to get, and keep, your head down, which may cause you to shoot high. I would also think that is going to put some marks on your shoulder......but that's just me - I prefer a nice rubber recoil pad
Old November 18, 2009, 03:49 PM   #3
jgcoastie

That's gonna hurt...

I agree with oneounce, rubber recoil pad....

Aftermarket stocks are more plentiful now than ever... Top folding, side folding, collapsible, are all available with a pistol grip and won't puncture through your shoulder due to recoil...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.

Last edited by jgcoastie; November 18, 2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old November 18, 2009, 04:52 PM   #4
DRice.72

Quote:
That's gonna hurt...
I thoughts exactly.
Old November 18, 2009, 09:30 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Ouch!!
Old November 18, 2009, 10:00 PM   #6
lockedcj7

If you decide to shoot it like that, do us all a favor and post the video on youtube.
Old November 18, 2009, 10:24 PM   #7
jeepman4804

Thread Hijack...

Lockedcj7, I am assuming you own a CJ-7?

Clay
Old November 21, 2009, 06:27 AM   #8
Y-man

Guys, thanks.
1. I wasn't planning to fire it like that (Skeleton) that was just the base: it is already padded and neat: rubber/ foam/ felt/ leather padding all the way! I would have been MAD to attempt firing it like that...
2. I have put in a spring to reduce the recoil even more.

"When there is a will, there MUST be a way!"

See pictures here...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44877118@N04/4121156731/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44877118@N04/4121159379/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4487711...n/photostream/

Please let me know what you think?
Old November 21, 2009, 02:57 PM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Inventive, creative, but.....

It still lacks a cheek weld position.

The pads on my heavier shotguns run close to 2" wide. That thing is shy a half inch of that. And, if that pad bottoms out you'll have three hex shaped bruises nigh your shoulder.

Spring loaded stocks are made, try Knoxx.

You have re invented the wheel, but nice try anyway....
Old November 22, 2009, 06:35 AM   #10
Y-man

DaveMC, thanks!
Where I live: I HAVE no choice but to re-invent the wheel! I live in Nigeria, with a lot of ignorance from the Government about firearms and obviously no way to buy or get stuff. I am only permitted (Barely) to get a shotgun licence (For "Hunting" ONLY!) and I (And many others) have used the loopholes in the law to get "repeater weapons" AKA Pump Action Shotguns (Which is the BEST I can legally get!) And to get them: you PAY! (You pay "through your nose" as we say in Nigeria) I paid equivalent of $2,000 for my Mossberg 500A! (Two thousand dollars!)

Of course: when you get a Pump-action, and it comes PGO: there is NO where to get parts or components to fit! I LOVE the Knoxx stocks, I have read so much about them that I dream about them: BUT you can't even get a regular stock to buy in NIGERIA: even illegally! You can not get grips, sights, optics, stocks, rifled slugs etc in Nigeria (Or Naija as we call it!)

And the option of getting them mailed in or shipped in is HAZARDOUS: I once got some sights (Truglo Xtreme Combo) "smuggled" in: a friend who works with me but lives in Baton Rouge brought back the sights dismantled within his baggage: when asked by Customs: he said they were computer parts. Imagine sending a stock which is CLEARLY recognisable as a "weapon part"? I will end up (Together with the DHL or UPS guy) on Nigerian TV, handcuffed, beaten up, maybe with a bullet in the leg: labelled a "Notorious armed Rebel from the Niger Delta, finally arrested with an arsenal after a valiant operation by the Nigerian Armed Forces..."

I have no choice but to use my intelligence, and make the best of what I can: my hands, my brains!

I think I have tried my best given the circumstances!

Well, I have simplifiied it all: I drilled a through-hole across my pistol grip, I can easily fasten a "Y" bracket to hold a stock at the right level with cheek weld, not attached to the bolt directly... I will keep you guys updated!

Thanks!
Old November 22, 2009, 09:50 AM   #11
Kmar40

Forgive my ignorance, but if you have a legal license for this shotgun and it's meant for hunting, wouldn't they (the govt) prefer that it have a full stock?

Or is it just an issue of having to bribe too many people to get a mail ordered stock?
Old November 22, 2009, 12:18 PM   #12
Y-man

You hit it right on the nail! The licences are usually prepared by officials who most likely will NOT ever SEE the shotgun. All that is in the records is that you have a shotgun. Whether a SxS, O&U, single-shot, pump-action, semi-auto etc: its basically what you bribe the person to write that he writes. At least: you can have it. (You cannot for example bribe to write O&U and have an AK-47! If you are caught!?)

The way it works here: the licenced dealers can only bring in x number of shotguns. Of course the market/ demand is x+1. Where do they get the +1? They smuggle them in. Then once they are in their inventory: they can (With bribes) get licences for them. The law just says a person must be "reputable"", have a job, and must be above 35 years of age; to get a firearms (Shotguns for the ordinary people, Bolt-action rifles for others etc.) licence. Everything works with bribes here...

But bringing in a stock? No: too difficult: If I travel myself: I'm sure I can get away with bringing one in: dismantle it, scatter the parts in a "bag-load" of my son's toys or something... I'm sure I should be able to do that: BUT THE RISK IS TOO MUCH! I have had a friend harrassed (Pistols pointed in his face, etc,) because the scanner at the airport detected a weapon-like item in his baggage. It was a bloody wireless Black and Decker drill/ screwdriver!

All said and done: I LOVE my country: it is the most exciting and interesting place to be in! I have travelled (I am an Oil worker...) but I love Naija!
Old November 22, 2009, 09:08 PM   #13
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Whew, I see why you're building this now. Good luck......
Old November 22, 2009, 09:34 PM   #14
oneounceload

If you can't get a stock, how about at least a rubber recoil pad? That might seem innocuous enough to get through without issue. Or, I suppose, you could fashion something from some old tire
Old November 24, 2009, 10:12 PM   #15
Calhoun123

I would wrap it with leather and maybe some foam if nothing else.
Old November 25, 2009, 12:45 PM   #16
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Starting with smaller and going larger, add "heater hose" (automotive type) until it is several layers thick... That will likely help.
Brent
Old November 26, 2009, 09:09 AM   #17
Y-man

Many thanks guys, I basically took your advice and simplified things. Check out what I ended up with here:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...hotgun-part-3/

Please let me know what you think? I have not test-fired yet. Will do that tomorrow.

Many thanks!
Old November 26, 2009, 06:57 PM   #18
Willie Lowman

Couldn't someone get him the dimensions for a regular stock? Somebody in Nigeria has to know how to carve wood.
Old November 27, 2009, 01:50 AM   #19
Y-man

Of course we have carvers here: and we do have a lot of gun stock work here. I just want a pistol-grip stock for myself, and I think I have gotten something made for myself that would serve the purpose. Check out my guest post on The Firearmsblog.com.

Thanks.