The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 3, 1999, 09:36 PM   #1
Don Allen

I have a side manual ejector, .44 special S&W in the 37000 serial number range. Patent dates are 06,09, and 1914. 4 1/2 inch barrel, and REG.PAT.OFF. on back of hammer. I need a replacement hammer, but am unable to identify the model of this S&W. Can anyone help me out? There is no model number stamped anywhere on it. Also, any sources for parts would be appreciated. Thanks a lot!
Old April 3, 1999, 11:32 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Don, it sounds like a .44 Hand Ejector 2nd Model. The dates and serial number are right. Monday is parts day so I'll add your hammer to my list and see what I can come with. I'll e-mail you when I locate one. George
Old April 4, 1999, 01:30 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Don and George,

I think that is a .44 Hand Ejector, Third Model (1926 Model). The three .44 HE models are nearly identical, but there were some slight interior changes, especially in the hammer and trigger and their spacing, as S&W kept monkeying with the DA trigger pull. I think the patent mark on the hammer was only in the third model, not the second. The third also had a hammer block and the hand was made to match it.

The hammer of the 1917 looks almost right, but I don't think it will fit, though you might try if you can find one.

As last resort, send back to S&W. They have been known to make a part from scratch if necessary, but maybe not any more.
Old April 5, 1999, 02:45 PM   #4
Don Allen

THANKS GUYS! I CONTACTED FACTORY PERSONNEL, AND IT HAS BEEN IDENTIFIED AS A THIRD MODEL. HAMMER IS ON IT'S WAY.