The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 12, 2012, 09:10 PM   #1
Chief Brody

New Member, 870P owner

Hey, everyone - Been lurking for a while. Decided to register and show you my 870 Police Magnum, bought new back in August. I've done a few modifications so far, and will likely do a few more. Not entirely new to shooting, but I'm a new gun owner, been waiting for a long time to make it happen. I've been visiting the nearby ranges and having a great time shooting. Tomorrow I'll be taking my first class, Combative Shotgun Skills 1 and 2, from MDTS. Very excited, looking forward to the instruction and taking a lot from it. This is my home defense gun, and I aim to be practiced and proficient. One question, is there any cure to the hours and hours spent online and looking through magazines thinking, "what's my next gun going to be?"...I'm thinking there's not. Oh well.

Great forum, looks like a lot of good people around here.
Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by Chief Brody; October 13, 2012 at 12:42 AM.
Old October 12, 2012, 10:41 PM   #2
Mrgunsngear

No cure what-so-ever. Welcome to the asylum

That's a beautiful 870P you have there.
Old October 13, 2012, 10:08 AM   #3
shortwave

A new HD shotgun and going to classes...sounds like you got it goin on.

Congrats on your shotgun and 'Welcome to TFL' .
Old October 13, 2012, 10:19 AM   #4
ripnbst

That scattergun looks awesome. I love seeing wood stocks on the HD / short barrel shotties.
Old October 13, 2012, 05:19 PM   #5
SteelChickenShooter

I have no trouble with synthetic stocks on HD shotguns or hunting rifles. As a matter of fact, I tend to buy those instead of wood. However, that posted picture prompts me to visit the gun stores so I can get one that looks as good as yours.
Old October 13, 2012, 06:52 PM   #6
Chief Brody

Thanks for the kind words, guys - This 870 really does stand out from the crowd of blacked-out howitzers with all kinds of accessories hanging off of them. At the class I attended today, the only other gun with wooden furniture was a 1960s Stevens/Savage 16-gauge with a long barrel (all in good fun, he got ripped on all day for bringing grandpa's gun haha) I handled a couple of synthetic-stocked shotguns when I was shopping around, but they just weren't for me. I love the old-fashioned, yet entirely functional and businesslike appearance of the 870P. It's got some nice weight to it, feels great to shoot.

Came home exhausted from that class, had a really great time, too. Learned a ton, left feeling MUCH more confident with the weapon. Looking forward to the next one, whenever that may be - Not a lot of options here (Long Island, NY).

I have to plug S&J Hardware, the maker of the detachable side saddle you see in the picture above. That thing got a real workout today and it was a real asset. Adds zero weight to the gun, and you can just rip it off if you don't need it or you want to reload it off of the gun. S&J also made the jumbo head safety I've got, as well as the high-vis green delrin follower. All worked great today while shooting 250+ rounds.
Old October 15, 2012, 08:46 AM   #7
vba

I have the very same gun, bought several years ago. Your going to love it, if you don't already...
Old October 16, 2012, 09:07 PM   #8
drail

THAT is a beautiful thing.... If you can't get it done with that then you really probably should have stayed home.
Old October 17, 2012, 12:31 AM   #9
Chief Brody

Thanks Drail, VBA

Yup, you know I already love this thing. When I bought it, I knew I was purchasing something that I'd have the rest of my life. Home defense gun/heirloom? Sure.