The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 6, 2013, 01:24 AM   #1
HKFan9

Good and Bad news from BCM

Long story short.... I work for an FFL while trying to find a teaching job. YES I am an unemployed Elementary teacher who currently sells and works on firearms for a living! I might as well put a horn on my head and call myself a Unicorn.

I have always had a love for the AR platform and I quite often used BCM to build my own rifles and friends rifles and even customers rifles.

I am also a big Travis Haley fanboy I must say.

When I saw the news of the release of the Haley Strategic Jack Carbine with collaboration by BCM... and other top tier company's I about jumped for joy. I decided I had to have one and promptly messaged HSP on Facebook to go about trying to find out how to order one. I literally waited up all night waiting for the order form to be available on BCM's website and when it was.. I printed it and filed it out. I already had a copy of my FFL to go in the mail with it.

The next morning I went and sold my newest built AR to a friend to cover some of the cost of my Jack Carbine.. then I promptly went to the post office to over night my order form to BCM for my Jack.

Much to my dismay when returning to work from the post office... I found out what had just happened in CT that same very morning.

The last few weeks with all the panic buying going on I was fearful in the back of my mind that my Jack Carbine would never arrive. I have a few stripped and complete lowers laying around my work shop, plus where I work have been receiving small shipments of AR's when we can still get them so I had the basic need for an AR already covered.. but I really wanted a Jack.

Finally last night BCM emailed me, to tell me they had received my order for my Jack Carbine, and my spot is reserved. The delivery time is pushed back 1 to 2 months... but I am still happy that I will be receiving one of these. I really just cant wait for it.

I will certainly post pics once I have it I promise... I feel like a kid on Xmas morning and am literally excited by the news and wanted to share.
Old January 6, 2013, 01:45 AM   #2
Stripeknight

**** THATS AWESOME!!!! .. Waite whats a Jack Carbine??
Old January 6, 2013, 01:47 AM   #3
Xfire68

Just checked out the video. Nice system. What do they run cost wise?
Old January 6, 2013, 02:52 AM   #4
HKFan9

It set me back $2000 plus $30 to ship it... And that's not inflation pricing. Yes it's expensive, but I really just wanted one, I don't expect it to be worlds above my other BCM rifles, but when adding all the parts, the cerakote, light and sights that come with it, it's worth the money. I also get a $200 voucher to attend any of Haley's courses. I just want to shoot it already.
Old January 6, 2013, 02:58 AM   #5
Xfire68

Nice. I did not know it came with all the add on's. Not a bad deal.

Looks like a sweet gun.
Old January 6, 2013, 05:33 AM   #6
5RWill

Title scared the hell out of me i didn't know what you meant by bad news.. unicorn thing made me laugh. Big BCM fan as well only two ARs i own, probably would never switch until i get a 7.62 AR in which i hope BCM makes a BCM 10 talk about being giddie . Anyhow where is this video??
Old January 6, 2013, 09:32 PM   #7
HKFan9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZjlxxPUQp4
Old January 7, 2013, 04:03 PM   #8
hulley

Awesome! I have a 14.5" BCM thats been great.
Old January 7, 2013, 07:00 PM   #9
Dr Big Bird PhD

sexy stuff, even if I would personally never drop that much on a factory made rifle. Rather do my own attachments
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old January 7, 2013, 08:51 PM   #10
HKFan9

I hear ya.. personally I would normally scoff at it too. I still have 3 other AR's two of which were builds I did using BCM uppers and BCG's. Not to mention the countless others I built then sold or traded, or all the ones I built for other people.

Like I said.. it won't do anything my other AR's won't, but it just stood out to me.. enough where I really wanted one, and I had the money.

Depending on if I like the stock or the grip as I have yet to use either in person.... those might get switched out. I was thinking some Magpul Foliage green stock and grip and mags might go nicely with the dark grey cerakote they chose. OR I was thinking getting the Magpul grip and stock of my choice dipped in Multicam, but I am just thinking out loud, still have a few months to decide.

I would like some opinions on what optic to run. I have rifles with an EO-Tech and Aimpoint already.. as well as a Trijicon Reflex.

I will be honest.. for some reason.. after using them a few times.. I am not a lover of the Trijicon ACOG.

This one I was considering a 1-4x scope with a 45 degree mounted RMR to both optics seeing as I never ran that set up yet. Or I was considering a eotech with the flip to side magnifier.
Old January 7, 2013, 09:10 PM   #11
Xfire68

Quote:
sexy stuff, even if I would personally never drop that much on a factory made rifle.
BCM is not your typical firearm company. Quality all the way around.

HKFan9, here is my M&P with 1-4x and green dot on top. This setup works well.

Old January 7, 2013, 09:24 PM   #12
Venom1956

what green dot is that?
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old January 9, 2013, 02:17 PM   #13
HKFan9

Burris sells a complete system for a set up just like that.. my only fear would be not getting a cheek wield when trying to use the red dot on top.

I was thinking of buying their set up.. then offsetting the red dot off the picatinny rail at 45 degrees. That way I could just cant the rifle and still keep the same cheek wield.