The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 26, 2009, 08:41 AM   #1
MrClean

Advice on New Knife

It looks like I am about to get an opportunity to take a class from Jeff Curtis on 'blades', which got me knife shopping again. I have a few that suffice, one being my Benchmade AFCK that I have had forever it seems! Excellent knife for all around use. I HAD an Emerson Commander that I loved and it took quite a bit of abuse and never wavered. Lost it at the range one day and of course... whoever the bastard was that found it never turned it in. It was given to me by friends so it meant that much more to me.

I've been shopping for a while, not sure that I will actually have the funds to buy, but if I run up on a deal I want to KNOW what I want. Two kids in college is pretty much killin my play money.

So here is the question:

Anyone have and USE the UTCOM by Emerson? I have pretty much narrowed it down between it and another Commander. I "think" I live the UTCOM form better. Any input from REAL users about the UTCOM and/or Commander would be VERY much appreciated. And also if there are other knives I am missing in the same quality range.

Lifetime NRA, USPSA, HCSO, CRS Club
Old August 26, 2009, 08:50 AM   #2
Dave Cole

I recommend Emerson's.I know Ernie and have many friends that own them and are very happy.I myself don't but I only make customs and don't carry production knives.Dave
Old August 29, 2009, 08:49 PM   #3
Ac1d0v3r1d3

Bladeforums.com

I've heard bad things about emerson lately. But of course Ernie still has die hard fans.
What do you want to do with your knife?
Have you heard about the new Spyderco Military in Titanium? Sal says its due out before the end of the year. I believe that there are places taking preorders for them.
Old August 29, 2009, 10:37 PM   #4
MrClean

Thanks, I'll check that forum out and the new Spyderco.... I have the Police model and like it ok. Going to be using it for an everyday carry and clip to my tac vest when out with the Gun Interdiction team. Abuse with everyday use and backup/duty knife.

Looks like the SpyderCo is tip-down carry only. I really like tip-up carry for drawing purposes.

Looking at the Benchmade Rukus, suggested by someone via PM.... anyone have one?

Lifetime NRA, USPSA, HCSO, CRS Club

Last edited by MrClean; August 29, 2009 at 10:57 PM.
Old August 29, 2009, 11:51 PM   #5
.351winchester

I just ordered a few knives for E&E BOB storage and use. Got a CRKT First Strike already, waiting on the Kershaw Outcast, Cold Steel Bushman (picked over Gerber LMF 2 and Schrade Extreme Survival), Benchmade CBK push dagger and for EDC folders a CS Scimitar serrated (wanted full plain, but this one was a deal) Kershaw Blur, and a S&W OTF assisted. Nice little cutlery selection but I still will want others. Would like a Kabar TDI to clip on a rifle fighting bag and TOPS Tom Brown Tracker for survival (it does a lot of stuff), Boker Mini Smatchet, among others.
Did a lot of research on knives lately before this mass purchase. Spent a lot of money but I think worthwhile investments, good tools to have on hand.

I currently EDC a Spyderco Delica p/s plastic handle, my fave though was the Kershaw Leek.