The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 1, 2013, 08:22 PM   #1
Jeff2131

media sifter

Considering purchasing that rolling media sifter that sits on top of a 5gallon bucket. Has anyone used this before? Is it cheaply made or has it help up well? Does it do a good job of removing all the media from the cases?

And while ive got ya answering one question...heres another...

Xmas is fast approaching and im fairly certain the old lady is going to buy me the Dessert Eagle ive been wanting. Does anyone reload .50AE? With such a heavy round and big punch, how many times can i expect to be able to reload a single piece of brass?
Old October 2, 2013, 08:33 AM   #2
ycastane

Im trying to find a trash can that is all full of holes, is made out of a mesh kind of but metal. I found at walmart one but the bottom was solid, no holes. Still trying to find the one i need which fits inside the 5gal bucket.

See if you can find it to look at it and guaranteed will be cheaper.
Old October 2, 2013, 10:01 AM   #3
j357

You can find a bunch of input on this topic in the following thread. Lots of posts on retail purpose built units and how to DIY with colanders.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520140
Old October 2, 2013, 10:11 AM   #4
dahermit

Quote:
Considering purchasing that rolling media sifter that sits on top of a 5gallon bucket. Has anyone used this before?
I use mine frequently, would not want to go back to another method.

Quote:
Is it cheaply made or has it help up well?
Had the same reservations (looks cheaply made), when I got it. However, years latter, still no breakage/wearage/problems.

Quote:
Does it do a good job of removing all the media from the cases?
Sho-nuff does. Crank it two-three rev's and walnut hull media all out, into bucket, casings all still in basket. If mine broke, I would order another tomorrow. Cannot live without one now.
Old October 2, 2013, 10:40 AM   #5
TimSr

I use a french fry frier basket.

I have .454 Casull cases that have over 15 reloadings on them, but its more a matter of the quality of brass and chamber fit than the pressure of the load.
Old October 2, 2013, 10:45 AM   #6
Jeff2131

Thanx DAHERMIT, exactly the input i needed. Ill be ordering one today!
Old October 2, 2013, 10:58 AM   #7
precision_shooter

I have a sifting pan, the type that fits on a bucket. What I do is pour the media and cases into a bucket. I then put the sifter on the tumbler, (drilled a hole in the sifter to fit over the threaded rod that holds the lid on the tumbler). I do not snug it down with wing nut, just let it sit loosely on top of tumbler. Pour media and cases on sifter pan, turn on tumbler. The vibration shakes the media through the sifter and shakes the cases around getting the majority of the media back in the tumbler with very little left in some of the cases...

I would say, it's 30/70 for cases that have a few granules of media vs those that don't.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Last edited by precision_shooter; October 2, 2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old October 2, 2013, 11:59 AM   #8
David Bachelder

I use something similar to this.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/731...edia-separator

10 bucks +s/h and a little elbow grease. Works for me.

I am thinking about a rotary one though.