The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 5, 2008, 05:20 PM   #1
valentsgrif

Muzzleloader Scopes: a Good Idea?

As reported earlier, I'm waiting on delivery of a Savage 10ML. Needs a scope but I'm not sure which to get. Most vendors sell the same scope in "muzzleloader" and standard versions. Whaddya think I need? I"ll shoot anywhere from 50- 175 yds.
Old November 5, 2008, 06:43 PM   #2
Doyle

The biggest difference is that muzzleloader scopes have relatively short (100yds) parallax settings whereas standard scopes are generally set at about 200 yds or have user-adjustable parallax.
Old November 5, 2008, 07:20 PM   #3
simonkenton

Any centerfire rifle scope will work on the muzzleloader.
I tell you what, I bought a Sightron S2 3-9 four years ago. I could not be happier with this scope. Very bright. Very accurate adjustments, turn the knob 4 clicks, the bullet moves exactly one inch.
Lifetime warranty.
Old November 6, 2008, 10:39 AM   #4
valentsgrif

Ok, but what is so optimal about the shorter parrallex muzzleloader scopes? What a I giving up what am I getting with each type?
Old November 6, 2008, 12:41 PM   #5
Wild Bill Bucks

Parallax is an apparent displacement or difference of orientation of an object viewed along two different lines of sight, and is measured by the angle or semi-angle of inclination between those two lines.[1][2] The term is derived from the Greek παράλλαξις (parallaxis), meaning "alteration".

That being said, the ranges you mention, with any good 3x9 scope, parallax, will have little to do with your hunting. If you were shooting ranges 250 yards to 1000 yards, then you might have to worry about it, but not at 50 to 175.

Most hunting scopes have already been built to take care of that problem for the hunter.
Old November 6, 2008, 02:38 PM   #6
arcticap

The compact shotgun/muzzle loader scopes usually have longer eye relief to help prevent scope eye injuries caused by recoil.
But a compact model can't be moved forward or back as much as a longer scope because of ring interference.
Some stores will let you bring the rifle in to better select the mount, rings and/or scope that will fit the best.
Some shotgun scopes are only parallax adjusted to 50 or 75 yards, while the "better" compact scopes are set at 100 yards. However I don't know how much the point of impact is affected or if it's noticed much if at all.
Most standard hunting scopes are also set for 100 yards, unless it has A.O..

Last edited by arcticap; November 6, 2008 at 02:50 PM.
Old November 12, 2008, 11:50 AM   #7
Double J

Look for a scope that is made to handle magnum recoil. I have a box of junk scopes because they didn't hold up. And a scope with at least 4" eye relief. At close ranges a low powered, fixed scope in the 2-1/2 to 4x range is plenty.
Good solid rings are a must. I've even added an extra ring on some rigs to support the scope.
Old November 12, 2008, 11:32 PM   #8
wpcexpert

Take a look in the Hunt forum and you will see the buck I shot with my 10MLII. I've got a Burris Fullfield II 3-9 x 40. It handles recoil well. You will want something you can see thru and look further than 100yds. That rifle will reach out there and touch them.

Have you ever owned a smokeless? I just started with it this year, and believe me, I have done a lot of cussin and learning. If you need any advise or help, I'll try and help.

don't know if you have already been here or not...www.modernmuzzloaders.com

Some great info there. Good luck.
Shawn
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson