The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: What do you first grab to check out "That Sound"?
Semi Auto Pistol 100 60.98%
Revolver 26 15.85%
Hunting Shotgun 6 3.66%
Hunting Rifle 1 0.61%
HD Shotgun 27 16.46%
HD Rifle 2 1.22%
Ball Bat 2 1.22%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 19, 2006, 09:19 AM   #26
Rangefinder

I generally don't worry too much--there's only one way in or out of my place. If the stairs alone don't take care of 'em, I have a choice of weaponry that spans 800 years to finish them off with. Viking bearded axe would handle things well, but the clean-up could be scary. It's a little tight for the nodachi or naginata, on of the rapiers would be good, but the claymores, lochabers, and halbergs are out... LOL

Seriously though... S&W .40VE with Glazer SS's and maglite. Shotguns are too unmanagable for tight quarters and have too much penetration.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old June 19, 2006, 09:26 AM   #27
Syntax360

First I grab my Steyr M9A1 sporting Ranger 127gr. +P+ and an M6X. I figure I could comfortably shoot that while laying down and it would be better for checking things out. If I'm sure something is admist and I have time, I go for my Mossberg 590 by the door with 4 rounds of #1 buck in the tube and 4 Brenneke slugs in the speed feed.
Old June 19, 2006, 10:02 AM   #28
VeT|Us

Marlin 1894C in .357 if investigating a strange noise,
12g pump if there is no doubt about whats going on.
Old June 19, 2006, 04:41 PM   #29
Ares45

A BIG +1 for the family pet.

And, yes, I sleep quite well at night, thank you.
Old June 19, 2006, 05:20 PM   #30
leadcounsel

Not to be outdone

+1 for the alert k9.

The Glock .40 and the tactical light and cell phone will be the first line of defense for investigating benign noises...

For any certain threats I'll barricade with the 12 gauge 870 and/or the HD semi auto rifle.

If I can't figure out what gun to chose, his reactions will let me know.

Here's what he does to ducks...

Last edited by leadcounsel; May 26, 2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old June 19, 2006, 05:25 PM   #31
defib360

There are a few options laying around, mostly 1911's. To be honest however, I generally let George and Martha, my English mastiff's, handle the problem.
They arent the most aggressive dogs, however they will keep you [intruder] in one spot while making quite a vocal ruckus. George is about 180, and Martha 145....both still puppies @ about 9-18mo.
Old June 19, 2006, 05:36 PM   #32
Twycross

Ah, good. I see I'm not the only one who keeps a blade nearby. I wouldn't clear the house with it though.
Old June 19, 2006, 06:08 PM   #33
Tdog201

walther P99QA .40S&W with a lazer is what I use.
Old June 19, 2006, 06:47 PM   #34
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
To be honest however, I generally let George and Martha, my English mastiff's, handle the problem.
Hmmm.... my 206 pound English Mastiff tells me to go sic 'em while she tries to hide under the bed! (if only she could fit!)

(this was her at 10 months, she's almost 3 now. She's the one on the right, by the way )

Quote:
(Cannot post pictures... anyone else get REALLY frustrated with posting pictures on TFL??? I always have problems and the pics are ALWAYS to big!)
Only temporary Lead. We've been having problems with the uploads ever since the server crash, but our resident guru Tyme is working on it.

Edit: 8:50 EDT, try it again, Lead; it should be fixed now.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old June 19, 2006, 07:00 PM   #35
ddelange

I think this question/poll can be divided into what type of noise your hear. As several posters have mentioned: if it's just an odd sound or "bump" in the night that is probably nothing, I take my handgun; but if I'm sure someone's breaking in the house/invading, I take SG/rifle, et. al. Also, it's different for those who may have kids to protect, and those who only have to protect the lives of those in their bedroom.

For me, if it's just that odd bump, I take my Glock 17 w/ attached M3 tac light. However, if it's the noise of breaking glass, or an attempt to batter my front door in, I have to grab the M4 and protect the entry to the stairs that lead upstairs to our children. If I was alone in my room, I would call 911 and bunker down with my M4 and Mossberg 590A1. If you have the budget, making a room that you and/or family members can get to a hardened saferoom, it surely is better than trying to clear your house alone or intervene alone. Like I said, I have to go out of my room; but if I didn't, I'd hunker down after calling 911 on my landline or cell (you should have both on your nightstand because it is easy for a determined burglar/invader to disable your landline). I know some out there want to go protect their property, but in my opinion it's not worth getting shot over; plus, that's what insurance is for.

Finally, I also love my German Sheppard who can patrol inside and out via his doggie door.
"War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -- John Stuart Mill
Old June 20, 2006, 12:46 AM   #36
chemist308

First item: Ryobi 18V flashlight--that sucker is brighter than a car headlight and would blind anyone.

Second item--this is recent for me, and only if my dogs are alerting me that I need it: Ruger 357 mag in single action with the hammer down. I'd rather risk my life leaving the hammer down, forcing that extra split second to be sure of what I'm shooting. Probably wouldn't even go for that if someone hadn't threatened me...
Old June 20, 2006, 03:58 AM   #37
exprt9

I grab my home defense weapon Hard Chromed Colt 1911 Series 70 MKIV Govenment with Laser sight loaded alternately with Golden Sabers and FMJ. My Mag lite and my cell phone.

My wife will grab her 22 caliber 9 shot Taurus Model 94 with a 4" barrel
Old June 20, 2006, 05:15 PM   #38
skeeter1

CWO4USCGRET--

Pounce is indeed a handsome animal, and would scare the bejeebers out of me. Given that big German Shepherd, I think a .22 is all you would need for backup.
Old June 21, 2006, 01:39 PM   #39
Ares45

def & Capt Good to see other Mastiff owners around. They're not too common around these parts. By the way beautiful dog you got there Capt, love the pic. I do see a bit of family resemblance though.

On a side note, I don't worry too much about my Bully cowering under the bed. She once jumped slap thru a double pane window (my bedroom/3am). Scared the crap out of me. The next day I found half a pair of blue jeans hanging on the backyard fence.
Old June 21, 2006, 02:49 PM   #40
kymasabe

Sig P226 with 15 rounds of Federal Hydra-Shoks and my SureFire light. My wife stays in the bedroom with my P32 back-up gun. Same rig for inside or outside. I can't exactly shoulder my AK and hold a flashlight at the same time without hanging all kinds of tactical crap on the gun so it's me and my trusty SIG everywhere I have to go. If I'm headed outside though, I bring an extra mag and the AK is ready in the house...just in case.
Old June 21, 2006, 04:50 PM   #41
Rem1187

rem 1187 with 30 inch barell loaded with 00 buck
Old June 21, 2006, 05:49 PM   #42
Edward429451

870 or a 45.
Old June 21, 2006, 05:49 PM   #43
sparkysteve

I bring a few things:

1. Ruger GP100 4" Stainless .357 Mag
2. A full speedloader
3. Bowning Xenon flashlight
4. Cell Phone
4. My 90lb. furry four-legged friend.

Dont tread on me.
Old June 21, 2006, 05:56 PM   #44
brj

G19 and a maglite...Make sure the family is where they are supposed to be..I do not open the door/go outside.
Old June 21, 2006, 06:44 PM   #45
Blammer

Not in the poll, but...

Sword & a pistol ( shortsword & my little .22RF CCW slipped into the pocket of my robe ) = Don't use a maglight, got motion detectors poin ting inward from the 'Perimeter' which would backlight anything outside, inside I want something without a safety or a need to load, and the ability to skewer/slash/chop quietly. Fireing a gun in the burbs is a last resort since the neighbors & their #@^&* celphones tend to complicate matters
OK if there's a justifiable shoot inside the house, but not for poping a racoon on the back patio
Old June 21, 2006, 09:58 PM   #46
ddelange

Quote:
Blammer:
shortsword & my little .22RF CCW slipped into the pocket of my robe ) = Don't use a maglight
How do you think that would do against a home invader with a 12ga loaded with 00 Buck?
"War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -- John Stuart Mill
Old June 21, 2006, 10:59 PM   #47
M14fan

Toss-up

Either full sized 1911 loaded with 230gr Starfire or DW .44 mag with 8" heavy bbl loaded with 44 special 200 gr lead wadcutters. Very familiar with both, the DW can do double duty as a very heavy billett. No flashlight usually as unoccupied rooms are lit with soft flurescent bulbs while I am concealed in the darkness.

Last edited by M14fan; June 23, 2006 at 07:09 AM.
Old June 22, 2006, 10:57 AM   #48
VUPDblue

Generally for me it is the Glock 22 with light attached. The only time I did get alerted by my attack dog, I happened to have been doing a grip change on the AR, so I used that to check outside. I found someone smashing the patio door in back of my neighbor's house. From a position of concealment, I phoned the local PD who were there in short-order and did their business. Perp never saw me, or heard me, but did see and ignore the barking of my dog...

...gratuitous pic of my vicious attack dog...

Last edited by VUPDblue; June 22, 2006 at 07:55 PM.
Old June 22, 2006, 07:28 PM   #49
mete

A 40 pistol and a Surefire light ! But what noise ?? Ones I remember ? Early morning knock on the door -a bear ! Thump on the roof - racoon fell from a tree. Blood curdling scream which woke me up and scared me half to death - apparently a rabbit as he died in the talons of an owl ! City sounds are in my past .
Old June 22, 2006, 08:15 PM   #50
Ozzieman

Good thread!

I picked HD shotgun, not sure what HD means but I am half asleep right now any way.
I would pick my pistol griped 870 with mag extension and a flash light attached for several reasons.
1 makes a good club
2 makes a BIG hole
3 makes a great sound when you pump one into the chamber and every one knows that sound.
4 looking into a 12 gage hole will scare any one
5 you don’t have to be that accurate.