The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 25, 2011, 11:03 PM   #1
checkmyswag

bright compact quality flashlight suggestions

Looking for a pocketable high quality super bright affordable flashlight. What's your suggestion?
Old November 25, 2011, 11:14 PM   #2
Catchabullet

http://www.streamlight.com/
. rechargable ones too.
Old November 27, 2011, 12:39 AM   #3
ClydeFrog

Good white lights, defense-protection....

For good resources see; www.qmuniforms.com www.blackhawk.com www.natchezss.com www.surefire.com www.uscav.com www.policehq.com .
The new Fenix white light is powerful & I think it offers the strobe feature(good for distraction/blinding an attacker).
Other good features include water-proof/water tight, anti-roll, CREE or LED light sources, Li powered batteries(hold up better in cold weather than regular AA/AAA). A tailcap button or switch is ideal too.
Surefire is a industry leader but Streamlight, 5.11, Mag-Lite & a few brands are good also.
Quartermasters, has a free holster/holder with a Fenix light purchase.

CF
Old November 27, 2011, 04:38 PM   #4
brmfan

I really like my Surefire E2D. Two output settings (200 lumens on max!) and very compact!
http://www.surefire.com/E2DL
Old November 27, 2011, 05:52 PM   #5
saands

I EDC a Fenix LD01 ... it runs on a rechargeable AAA and has three brightness levels and none of the strobing features (features that, IMHO, are worse than useless). It runs for about an hour on high and for a lot longer on the lowest setting. It twists on-off so it isn't a tactical light, but it does fit nicely in my pocket and I am NEVER without light when I want it. I got the stainless one (a little more $$$), but the aluminum ones are also nice. For more info than you probably want, see the Candle Power Forum ...

Saands
Old November 27, 2011, 10:24 PM   #6
bejay

lots of options without knowing what battery type you want and how compact and price range, there has been alot of good brands mentioned.
Old November 28, 2011, 01:15 PM   #7
ClydeFrog

Galls.com...

I meant to add www.Galls.com . Most "armed professionals" & savvy pistoleros know to shop at Galls. The KY based company is great for uniforms, first responder gear & Ready.gov type stuff, .

www.actiongear.com is also a good website
Old November 28, 2011, 01:21 PM   #8
parker

Surefire E2D Flash light for $200 I would need to get my head examined to pay that much for a small flash light. Theres so many inexpensive LED's out there why would you even concider spending that much it insane!
Old November 28, 2011, 02:12 PM   #9
nate45

Surefire makes very nice lights, but they're expensive. I only have one though, an LX2 that I recieved as a gift.

I like Fenix and Streamlight when I spend my own money.

Here are links to a few lower priced ones I own that have worked okay.

Fenix E21 Flashlight
Its nice for $35 I use rechargeable AAs in it and it's been a good light.

Fenix LD25

A little more expensive.

Streamlight ProTac

I haven't carried this one very much, but its a nice light.

Streamlight 88850 Polytac LED
I have this one mounted on a Mossberg 500. It uses CR123 batteries, I don't know how they hold up for EDC, I've ever carried it. They sit unused and ready to go great though.

Last edited by nate45; November 28, 2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old November 28, 2011, 03:06 PM   #10
Dennis1209

I do my American duty to spend, spend, spend, so I have TWO Surefire lights. I like them and they have never failed, besides, they look cool. Think of it this way, the wife will spend a bunch of money for a manicure and pedicure, two months later, what's she got? I, on the other hand, still have a tangible, dependable, expensive compact light that didn't grow back
Old November 28, 2011, 03:18 PM   #11
Skadoosh

Fenix PD30R4 (265 Lumen) Cree XP-G LED Flashlight for $60. I like mine a lot.

http://www.sethsportgoods.com/produc...FS0R99%0A.html
Old November 28, 2011, 04:58 PM   #12
longfellow

tough option

I have been using an aluminum, waterproof, shockproof (verified) Dorcy that ran about $20 I believe and I can't tell the difference from the hundred dollar LED's out there. Of course, the packaging did not say "Tactical" anywhere so a lot of folks won't lower themselves; hopefully you're more about performance. It is a great light.
Old November 28, 2011, 05:56 PM   #13
22-rimfire

There is a nice Mag Light with LED that is quite nice that is very pocketable. It is available at places like Lowes.

I have also purchased some of the inexpensive Rocky flashlights that I believe are made in two sizes and are very reasonably priced... like $35 for two. I have both sizes and use them a lot for work related stuff. Flashlights tend to walk out the door at times.
Old November 28, 2011, 10:17 PM   #14
Crosshair

I would recommend a Fenix LD10. I own two and love them 3, 13, and 45 lumen modes with a turbo mode of 100 lumens. It also has an "SOS" mode, though I wish the SOS had to option to operated at a lower lumen level as it ate through most of what was left of my battery when I had to use it.

You don't have to worry about pairing AA batteries and you have virtually every possible everyday need covered, from "looking for something in my backpack" to "I want to spotlight animals in trees." (Squirrels HATE me.)

It meets all of your requirements, fits in any pocket, has a super bright mode, and are affordable at around $50 each if you buy online. As an added bonus they take "common as dirt" AA batteries and are designed from the start to work with rechargeable batteries, which is what I personally use.

/No I don't work for Fenix, I just think they make great lights for their price.
Old November 29, 2011, 01:26 AM   #15
brmfan

Parker: Mine recently fell out of a 20' tree stand onto a big rock and except for a little chipped paint it still works like a champ! You get what you pay for (and I didn't pay nearly $200 for it ).
Old November 29, 2011, 10:39 AM   #16
AK103K

Ive been using these for a couple of years now...

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/t...CREE-Q5/Detail

I used to use Streamlights and Surefires, but have found these to hold up just as good, and at $20 a light vs $50-100+, a real good deal.
Old November 29, 2011, 02:24 PM   #17
parker

[BParker: Mine recently fell out of a 20' tree stand onto a big rock and except for a little chipped paint it still works like a champ! You get what you pay for (and I didn't pay nearly $200 for it ). ][/B]

Glad to hear that cause us can buy 6 $30 Mag Lights LEDs for that money. I'm sure that they are built well For that price.
Old November 29, 2011, 05:11 PM   #18
brmfan

Not really interested in carrying around 6 mag lights.
Old November 30, 2011, 03:19 PM   #19
scottycoyote

i recently bought a novatac spec ops light off ebay for $40 new and really like it. Small, comes with a clip and has multiple modes....120lumen, 60, and 10 with a strobe too.
Old December 1, 2011, 05:23 PM   #20
nate45

Here you go OP, my Xmas gift to you. Sorry its the link only.

This one is small, bright, relatively inexpensive and gets good reviews.

TERRALUX LIGHTSTAR 100 LUMEN 1XAA LED FLASHLIGHT TLF-1C1AA

$18.95

Old December 1, 2011, 07:10 PM   #21
KenL

Surefire G2 or 6P. I think the 6P is now discontinued, but I actually like it better than the nylon G2. I upgraded the bulb and it's extremely bright.
Old December 5, 2011, 10:53 AM   #22
toolguy2006

I retail a ton of flashlights through my store, and my vote is for a Streamlight Strion LED, if its in the budget. Surefire products are great, but most run on CR123A batteries, and if you use the light more than once a month, you'll go broke buying batteries. The Strion is rechargeable from either 110 wall power, or 12 volt power in a vehicle. Also, Streamlight offers a ton of lens and mount accessories for their lights. If the Strion is out of your price range, I have also had great luck with the Protac 2AA. Both are warrantied, have multiple brightness settings, and strobe. The only thing that I would caution, is that if you are looking at the Strion, check and double check that it is the "LED" model. Streamlight offers a bulb version, and its not really worth the money.