The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 26, 2006, 06:55 PM   #1
5whiskey

Assesment drills

Alright I know most people at one point or another have probably heard of something at least simular to this. The point is to have points of aim with different characteristics to be shoot on command. There are different ways to do it, and I'll start with basic and work up to advanced.

First, If you're limited to range shooting with one lane, all of this can be modified and just put on one target (not ideal but better than nothing).

I started off with two targets, one with the head painted. I didn't have a rig that turns targets, so I had someone call out colors. It was simple enough, not rocket science, someone calls the color and you shoot it as fast as you can.

Then we moved up to painting a red circle and blue square on one target, a green triangle and orange hexagon on the other. The caller calls out 3 targets that have to be taken with 2 rounds each in order. usually a color, shape, color or vice versa.

After a while doing this, you can back down to just 4 shapes (or colors) and associate with weapons. Put the targets at different ranges. The shooter faces away while the caller gives a weapon association with each shape (or color). Then the caller calls target, the shooter turns and takes the targets in an order that makes more sense. Obviously someone armed with a pistol at 5 yds is more dangerous than someone armed with a rifle at 50. BUT someone with a rifle at 100 is probably more dangerous than someone with a pistol at 50 (yes, I've done this with a rifle mostly but I have adapted to handgun training, you can lengthen or shorten the range as you like). It's sort of tedious, because during this phase the shooter has to face away from the targets while they're moved (on occasion) so the shooter doesn't memorize position and range of specific shapes (or colors).

The important thing is to incorporate threat recognization in all of this. Make sure You're thinking about why you would engage what threat first and why.

If anyone has something they would like to add, or a better drill, I'm always open to CONSTRUCTIVE CRITISISM. Just don't dog me too bad.
Old June 26, 2006, 09:22 PM   #2
warwagon

Wheeler

Sounds like a pretty well thought out plan to me, you might consider adding a barricade if possible, to simulate an indoor environment. This in turn might spark furthere inovations.
Old June 26, 2006, 11:15 PM   #3
Lycanthrope

Try writing the color green......in red...

Or the color blue......in green.......

Then have a friend call out the color to shoot. Tougher than it sounds!

4 digit numbers and having a friend call out odds or evens isn't a bad drill either. We've done both of these at local IDPA matches and it gets you thinking.
Old June 27, 2006, 04:54 PM   #4
5whiskey

I may have to try both of those ideas
Old June 28, 2006, 08:04 AM   #5
Boondoggie

I shoot a little IDPA now and again. Recently they had a COF setup, simulating entering a building, and had several BG in each room. The BG's had different color bandannas on, red and black. Before your turn at the COF, you were required to randomly pull out a color bandanna from a box. This was then your color to engage once in the rooms.

To confuse the matter, the BG's / GG's all had T-shirts on, this really required that you focus on the your target, identified and engage correctly.

I will say, that the numbers of S@*T that could be hear during this COF was amazing. Which bags the question, do I really trust the guys I shot with??

Last edited by Boondoggie; June 28, 2006 at 08:57 AM.
Old June 28, 2006, 08:34 AM   #6
5whiskey

Yeah, I've done that drill quite a bit, too. I know alot of people don't have access to a shoot house, but if you do it is a fun drill.

We always started off with the basics, though.
Old June 28, 2006, 08:36 AM   #7
Lycanthrope

I do that in my IDPA matches.....then I add clay pigeons to the floor as booby traps.

Ramps up your visual awareness fast.