The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 8, 2011, 09:14 PM   #1
TheKlawMan

Filthy 12 Gauge Forcing Cones

The lengthened forcing cones on my 12 gauge really gets filthy. Any suggestions on how to clean it? Would a chamber brush help? I suppose fine steel wool on a dowel rod is a bad idea.
Old December 8, 2011, 09:35 PM   #2
oneounceload

You already know I like brake cleaner, but if that is too off the wall, use your basic cleaner on a patch - I like to wrap the patch around the brush on a rod chucked in a cordless drill and go back and forth a few times

Sounds lie you are not getting good ignition/combustion of your load
Old December 8, 2011, 10:26 PM   #3
TheKlawMan

I don't know if it is the combustion, oneounce. I am shooting Promo powder, which I was told was pretty dirty stuff. I bought it when I was shooting the 870 but will probably spend the money for something cleaner burning when I get through the jug of Promo. I tried a can of "Break Free Powder Blast" and it didn't seem to do a thing. The wrapped brush in a cordless drill should do the trick.
Old December 8, 2011, 11:48 PM   #4
thedaddycat

One trick I've used for cleaning round holes of various sorts is to saw a slot in a wooden dowel and cut a section of ScotchBrite scrubber (coarser material) or artificial steel wool (like ScotchBrite but finer, you can get it to match various steel wool grades) and chuck that up in the drill. Match the abrasive grade to the task at hand. Use oil like WD-40 or 3-in-1 for less abrasive action.

If that is too coarse then use a bit of rag like an old washcloth and rubbing or polishing compound. I've used this method to clean up things like the bores for caliper slide pins on disc brakes. I have not used it on any firearms but the principle is the same.
Old December 9, 2011, 12:31 AM   #5
TheKlawMan

That is similar to what I used to polish my 870's chamber when it was new, except for the fact I used 0000 steel wool. This is a new Citori though and I don't wish to use anything as abrasive as steel wool, but your Scotch Rite suggestion may have merit. I am going to give oneonce's patch around a bore brush a go first.
Old December 9, 2011, 01:04 AM   #6
TheKlawMan

That got it, oneounce. I first ran a patch soaked in Hoppe's down the barrel and then I gently ran a second patch soaked in Hoppe's and and wrapped around a brush on a rod chucked to my drill for perhaps 30 seconds. It is clean and shiny as it should be. I don't have any break cleaner but will pick some up at the WalMart. BTW, my scores picked up this week.
Old December 9, 2011, 01:13 AM   #7
.300 Weatherby Mag

Try Shooters Choice.. I use to to get the stubborn fouling out of my barrels... It attacks all types of fouling and does a good job removing plastic..
Old December 9, 2011, 07:38 AM   #8
Orphanedcowboy

Search out the Deep Cleaning a Shotgun Barrel article and polish the forcing cone and your problem will diminish greatly. I think your forcing cones are significantly rougher than the original bore.
Old December 9, 2011, 08:42 AM   #9
jaguarxk120

Be very careful using the Scotch-Brite is is a abrasive material and will cut into the steel.

Using oooo steel wool is much better as it will cut the plastic fouling and just burnish the steel surface of the forcing cone.

If you must use Scotch-Brite then look for the grey colored stuff it is one of the finest grits they have.
Old December 9, 2011, 09:44 AM   #10
oneounceload

Shooter's Choice is my favorite for cleaning just about everything. I do use the brake cleaner for stubborn stuff and especially the threads on the choke tubes - one blast and everything is gone, inside and out

Glad it cleaned it and nice to see your scores going up.

NOW, when you get BORED with trap and after Weatherby shows you how to clean the skeet field, you need to step on down to the 5-stand and sporting fields..........(It's where the REAL fun is happening! )
Old December 9, 2011, 11:59 AM   #11
BigJimP

and yes, get a T handle - chamber brush...
Old December 9, 2011, 02:16 PM   #12
TheKlawMan

A guy I usually shoot Trap with suggested just yesterday that we give 5stand a go. I have a flat of Gn Clubs in shipment and will eyeball whether they build up powder residue in the forcing cones. Supposedly they were pretty well polished per an XT shooter who had his lengthened back when it was custom work. The chamber brush is going on my Xmas list.
Old December 9, 2011, 02:57 PM   #13
oneounceload

One of the big box stores was closing out 10 gauge bore brushes, so I bought two to use as 12 gauge chamber brushes - cost $1 for both

5-stand will knock you for a loop initially - just remembering where the birds are coming from - but explain you are new and they should take it easy on you and remind you where they come from - it is a lot of fun and somewhat humbling - we have a hard time getting any trap shooters to do it - they are so used to perfect scores, I think it bruises their egos..., but the challenge is what makes it fun
Old December 9, 2011, 04:40 PM   #14
olddrum1

Get one of Z13,s fuzzy sticks from walmart.
Old December 9, 2011, 06:40 PM   #15
TheKlawMan

Actually I have a fuzzy stick. I found some chamber brushes for $36, with rosewood handles nonetheless, but I think I will get a package of 10 gauge brushes. Meanwhile, it cleaned up well with a 12 gauge bore brush on a drill.

I am accumulating so many cleaning supplies I have to get a bag just to carry all the junk.
Old December 9, 2011, 07:20 PM   #16
zippy13

Olddrum, my friend, I actually have a bronze chamber brush (like Big Jim described) but seldom use it since getting the fuzzies. I suspect a lot of forcing cone cleaning depends on how well the area is polished.

K-Law, my friend, does your forcing cone area look like a mirror when clean?
Old December 9, 2011, 07:56 PM   #17
lambertsteeth

A bronze cleaning brush, chucked into a cordless drill, at low speed.
Old December 9, 2011, 08:41 PM   #18
TheKlawMan

Yes, Zippy. The cones clean up lime mirrors. I think the problem is the Promo powder but next time out I am going to see if it makes a difference if the I insert the fuzzy from the muzle end (after removing the barrels). Per a much more experienced shooter the cones were well polished.

Tags
cleaning , lengthened forcing cones