The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 20, 2013, 04:37 PM   #1
dayman

funny mag question - actually, 2 of them

First, I hope this is in the right forum. It's a handgun question, but really only pertains to the legality of a specific design characteristic, so I decided on this one.

So, I was talking with a friend of mine who has land in NY, and naturally the new 7 round limit came up. We were thinking of creative - but not particularly serious - ways to circumvent the restriction; belt fed revolvers, hopper feeding systems, etc.
Anyway, then we got onto that Arsenal Arms double barreled 1911 monstrosity that came out a while back. For those of you that don't know what I'm talking about it's basically 2 1911's welded together.
Since it uses 2 7 round mags would it fall under the banned gun list or not? On one hand it uses 2 mags for a total capacity of 14, but on the other hand, it does technically have 7 round mags. We sort of reached an impasse ourselves, so I thought I"d put it out there on the internet.

Granted it's not the most serious of questions, but when things are bad it's particularly important to maintain our sense of humor.

Last edited by dayman; January 24, 2013 at 06:35 AM. Reason: new - IMHO more interesting - question on multi caliber mags
Old January 20, 2013, 04:53 PM   #2
2ndsojourn

The new restrictions say magazines are limited to holding 7 rounds. Maybe I'm wrong, but I haven't seen a limit on how many magazines you can have....yet.
Old January 20, 2013, 09:34 PM   #3
wayneinFL

Broom handle Mauser? As long as you didn't have stripper clips, it looks to me like it would be legal under New York law.

Imagine if you made a version of this, extended a fixed double stack magazine below the trigger guard and chambered it in a caliber you could really stuff into a magazine. Like 30 rounds of 5.7.

Another thought- what about those 20 round revolvers they had back in the 1800s. I'm not talking about the Westerns where the guys were shooting single action army Colts for 20 rounds without reloading. There was a 7mm revolver (pinfire?) that had two staggered rows of chambers in the cylinder, and fired them through two barrels. The cylinder was HUGE. But nowadays we have better metallurgy... Might be able to build something like that in an N frame sized revolver, a 22 mag, or maybe 32?

Last edited by wayneinFL; January 20, 2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old January 22, 2013, 02:49 PM   #4
+1k ammo

Yes probably fine, but I was just looking at one in a magzine and who would want one? There are so many good 1911's about with proper mag. even for new york, I would neve buy one of those.

But each to his own.
Old January 22, 2013, 06:02 PM   #5
dayman

Haha. I hadn't considered the old mausers. Is the mag restriction only on removable mags?
Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting multiple mags, or the silly double 1911 (3822?) is a practical design, I was just asking what you all thought about the legality of various weird gun designs.
Old January 23, 2013, 10:31 PM   #6
Jaxxxa

30rd AR mags hold 10 of .50 Beowulf
Old January 24, 2013, 06:33 AM   #7
dayman

the same works for .458SOCOM.

That actually seems worthy of a new question. I'll even post a picture to spice things up.

My buddy just finished a .458 build, and so he's now using 30rd 5.56 mags as 10 round .458 mags. He was joking that if a ban goes through he's just going to claim them as such. The cartridge is specifically designed to fit in the standard mag for ease of use in the field, so I don't think they make specialized .458 mags. Also, a 10 round 5.56 mag would limit you to 3 rounds of .458.
So, the idea was that if he only used them for .458 they'd be perfectly fine even if there was a ban.

Does anyone know if that would work as an argument?
Old January 24, 2013, 07:02 AM   #8
seeker_two

I'll throw another one out.....

http://gunblast.com/SRM-1216.htm

Is it one 16-rd. magazine or four 4-rd. mags clipped together?.....