The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 21, 2008, 06:51 PM   #1
publius

Best high end scope.

In your opinion, what's the best high end scope? swarovski, schmidt&bender, nightforce,... I'm sure I left some out. Which one?
Old August 21, 2008, 07:52 PM   #2
3StrikesNC

For me, it's my Swarovski on my 7mm STW.

BUT, my Leupold's on my other hunting and target rifles I will not ever give up...
Old August 21, 2008, 07:53 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Man ya'll kill me!!! Them scopes are SWEETTTTT but cost as much as my truck...
Brent
Old August 21, 2008, 08:12 PM   #4
LanceOregon

It depends what your application is. What type of rifle is the scope to be installed on?? What type of use will it be put to?

One would not necessarily use the same type or brand of scope to shoot prairie dogs at 500 yards, hunt Grizzlies in Alaska, hunt deer in wooded land, pursue antelope in open plains, and competitive rimfire target shooting, for example.

Do you have a specific need, or is your question purely theoretical in nature??

Old August 21, 2008, 08:39 PM   #5
B. Lahey

I'm a nerd for Unertl.
Old August 21, 2008, 08:52 PM   #6
surveyor

+1 lance

I did not get a chance to look in person at the swarovski, upper end zeiss, Schmitt& Bender, Nightforce, US optics.. so I can't comment..

of the leupolds, Zeiss conquest, Meopta, IOR, I looked at.. well I made my choice of those, for my application.

the next scope I get will have a diffrent set of features, as the application will be diffrent.

only you can know what features you want, not anyone else.

not meaning to cop out on this answer, but I'm happy with the IOR..
Old August 22, 2008, 06:48 AM   #7
Benonymous

What difference

Back when I bought the Steyr Scout I ordered a Burris Signature Select scope in 1.5-6 . When it arrived the smith was fitting a Docteur scope to another rifle and asked me if I'd like to compare the US made scope against an expensive European one. They were close in optical characteristics and I must say I thought the Burris was a crisper, brighter image. I heaved a sigh of relief! I have never tried a Schmidt and Bender or Swarofski. My other rifles have NightForce scopes and the shop I bought them from rated them equal to anything from Europe and they'd seen plenty.

I don't skimp on glass, but I won't blow hundreds of dollars on a name either. Do your research and come to your own conclusions.
Old August 22, 2008, 07:32 AM   #8
CPTMurdoc30

March with their 10-60x52mm
Old August 22, 2008, 08:06 AM   #9
dipper

In your opinion, what's the best high end scope? swarovski, schmidt&bender, nightforce,... I'm sure I left some out. Which one?

The one that comes with an unconditional lifetime guarantee---especially for that kind of money!!
Old August 22, 2008, 08:48 PM   #10
3StrikesNC

Let me ask this; anyone use a Shepherd?
Old August 22, 2008, 09:49 PM   #11
publius

Lance, it's purely theoretical. I've always used lower end leupolds and mostly whitetail hunt but am thinking of putting something real good on the .264 I'm building.
Old August 22, 2008, 10:47 PM   #12
Zak Smith

article | Practical Long-Range Rifle Shooting, Part II - Optics

S&B for now.
Old August 23, 2008, 04:44 AM   #13
Brad Clodfelter
Registration in progress

These boys would know. Most of them shoot competitive benchrest.

They are sold on Nightforce.

http://www.benchrest.com/forums/show...htforce+scopes
Old August 23, 2008, 10:57 AM   #14
FSJeeper

If you can line up the various high end scopes and test them side by side in varying lighting conditions, you'll see that there is a difference between them, but from a practical point of view in terms of optiics, that small amount of clarity is not worth the extra $1000 or so between the S&B and the Zeiss, Swarovski, Kahles, etc. No experience with the US Optics unit, but it is definitely up there in the high end range at the top.

The difference between the S&B is that it is more durable in combat conditions and has much better adjustment controls, but once again, is that difference worth the extra $1000 + more you'll spend on one.

I am buying the S&B for my National Match M1A because I want one and cause it is what our guys are now using, not because it is the most cost effective purchase.

About 10 years ago I had 2 custom rifles built by one of the best gunmakers in the country for a hunt in Africa. I wanted the best for me and my eyes based on actual testing and money was not an object. I spent a lot of time researching and comparing. The best I found for my eyes for my back up rifle was the Swarovski in 1.5 x 6 and 10 years later I can not imagine a better scope for that rifle which is in 30 -06. On my main rifle, and I was criticized for this, I bought the Steiner in 3.5 x 10. Except for the S&B, I have not found a better scope for my eyes.

Steiner designed the scope, provided the outstanding lenses, and Leopold manufactured them in behalf of Steiner. These scopes were over built. They were over priced at $1300+ 10 or so years ago and I suspect that is the reson why they quit making them. You can sometimes find these on ebay or pawn shops for $300 or so. If you find one for that price you will be very, very pleased with it and have something that is very close to the S&B in performance. Definitely better than the Zeiss and Swarovski scopes I have on other rifles.

Just another experienced opinion on a subject that can be debated forever much like the .223 vs 7.62 debate.
Old August 23, 2008, 04:28 PM   #15
Zak Smith

There are more to rifle scopes - especially long range rifle scopes - than just the "optics."
Old August 23, 2008, 06:21 PM   #16
crowbeaner

How come nobody mentions Kahles? They make a scope right up there with Zeiss, Swarovski, S&B and Leupold.