The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 9, 2006, 10:46 PM   #1
Troponin

My first deer!

I was out the first three days of rifle season. It was warm, the deer weren't moving and I was discouraged. I hadn't seen a single deer all three days. I had hunted when I was 13 and 14 years old, but after freezing my butt off and not seeing a deer, I gave up after the second season.

I am now 1 month shy of 28 years old. I decided to start deer hunting again, having spent the last several years just small game hunting. I was ready to give up again, but my buddy convinced me this week would be better. The temp went from 50-60 degrees to a nasty 20 degrees without the wind chill. I gave in and went out again. Missed a nice sized doe the first day, that broke the ice. I FINALLY saw a deer in the woods during deer season and I was able to atleast take a shot. Perhaps it was the jitters, but it was coupled with the fact that she was surrounded by sapplings and it was not an easy shot to begin with.

Today, I decided to go out for just the morning. It was cold and by 10am, I was read to pack up. I had my gloves back on, (removable finger mittons), had my pack on my back and was ready to step out of my stand when I hear a shot from 300-400 yards to the East...exactly where my buddy had said he was moving to. I almost immediately heard a stampede in the woods and I crouched quickly to be ready to take a shot, but could not see anything. I stood back up, once again discouraged, when suddenly a deer came flying by my stand at full run. He was springting across the short 30 yards that I had in front of me. I quickly tried to take off the safety, but my glove got stuck for a moment on the switch. I ripped it of, whipped my hand down so that the glove flew to the ground, pulled up, got him in my scope, aimed for the the front half of his body, and immediately pulled the trigger. He dropped like a rock about 20ft away from where I was standing. I realized that the from the time I saw the deer, until the time I pulled the trigger was only about 5 seconds total.

I stood there for a second in disbelief that I actually made a kill shot like that. He jumped around for a moment on the ground, then died. I thought it was a doe, but when I finally walked up to him, I found he was a button buck. All I knew was that it was a legal deer, but did not have time to size him up, so I shot. He was about 75lbs field dressed...not big, but still a first deer and an unbelievable kill. At this moment, I still don't know how I pulled it off.

Upon closer inspection, I realized I hit his spine. He was hit with a 180g .30-06 at about 15ft and it absolutely demolished his neck.

I am anxious to get my 2.43 now. I think I will actually make my .30-06 the main bear gun and back up deer rifle and use the .243 as the main white tail and coyote gun. I am sure after what I saw, that the .243 will be plenty.
Old December 9, 2006, 10:49 PM   #2
Troponin

Here is a pic. WIsh I had a camera in the woods with me. He was shot at 10:15am. Now he's beat up from the drag and it's dark out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg first deer 004.jpg (57.9 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg first deer 002.jpg (111.4 KB, 112 views)
Old December 9, 2006, 10:52 PM   #3
Fremmer

Congratulation! Excellent post, and great shot. You never know when you'll see a deer.

You might want to keep that .30-06. It sounds like you shoot pretty well with it. I'd stick with it. And it doesn't hurt to have a little more bullet weight and power for the monster buck you might shoot through the shoulder some day.
Old December 9, 2006, 11:00 PM   #4
Troponin

Jusat to add, my buddy came over about 30 mins later with a 110lbs doe. He said he too didnt have time to be picky because she saw him immediately and he needed to shoot. It was only by coincidence that he shot the largest deer of the group and then sent them my way for second pickings. LOL

Thanks Fremmer. I am still getting the .243 as a second gun, both for back up and a main gun for predator hunting. I suppose it will be which ever one I can shoot better. not sure I can top that shot though, huh?
Old December 9, 2006, 11:20 PM   #5
Fremmer

We were both thinking about the .243 today. I was looking at new Browning BARs today, and the .243 BAR would be a quick and soft-kickin' deer gun.
Old December 9, 2006, 11:23 PM   #6
Troponin

I really like my Rem 700 .30-06. I was thinking of getting another one, but in Titanium, since I don't need a heavy gun for a .243. I haven't looked around too much though, so I am not really sure what else is out there.

Do you know of a few others that I may like?
Old December 9, 2006, 11:47 PM   #7
Fremmer

I would take a look at the Remington SPS or ADL if you want a synthetic stock. The ADL's can sometimes be found pretty cheap. The SPS has a nice trim and handy stock.

If you like wood, I'd look at the CDL. I saw a .243 CDL that was a nice gun. It'll have the new recoil pad to soften the recoil even more.

The model 7 would make a nice, light and handy gun in .243.

The titanium is nice, but expensive. Especially for a back-up gun that you might have to loan to a buddy someday. But if you have the cash, that would be a really cool .243!

I like Remington too, can you tell?!?
Old December 10, 2006, 08:58 AM   #8
boltgun71

Great shot and congratulations on your first deer. Dont ever get up on hunting, its when you least expect it you'll be presented with a shot. Since your doing so well with you 30-06 I to would suggest you stick with it. You cant go wrong with the .243 either though. I agree with all of Fremmer's suggestions for a rifle. I too am a Remington man and own 4 700's. For the money you can't beat the accuracy and dependability of the ADL or SPS. I have handled a few CDL's and they are beautiful rifles if you want to dish out the extra bucks.
Old December 10, 2006, 11:16 AM   #9
Troponin

I have an SPS now, but it feels so heavy compared to some of the guy's guns I hunt with. I am sure it's the barrel on it.

I love the new recoil pad that they are putting on these. It's high quality and really feels nice compared to any gun I have ever shot.

I suppose I will get the SPS in .243 and get the same scope too, that way when I use the .243, it won't feel like a different gun.
Old December 10, 2006, 12:20 PM   #10
FirstFreedom

Flippin' sweet. Looks tasty.
Old December 10, 2006, 12:41 PM   #11
Fremmer

Quote:
I have an SPS now, but it feels so heavy compared to some of the guy's guns I hunt with.
Probably from that 24" medium barrel, so I see your point. How about this 6.5 pound Remington Model 7 CDL? That would make a nice, handy and light .243, and a really good lookin' one at that!
Old December 10, 2006, 02:00 PM   #12
BIGR

Great going. Now that you have got the first one, it will be easier next time. That will be some eating.
Old December 10, 2006, 09:38 PM   #13
banditt007

Good work. I second the tasty thing.. yum.