The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 14, 2005, 08:09 PM   #1
DakTo

taper or roll crimp die ??

I have used both of these from Lee and i think they're worth the effort. I use a roll crimp on my 30-30 and a taper on my 45 ACP. I prefer Hornady lead projectiles, they have worked extremely well for my 45s. My question is that Hornady lead bulllets do not have a cannelure, none of their lead bullets do, they have an "x" ing pattern instead. Using a taper die for the 45 was not a problem but which die, taper or roll would i use on the 44? I think the taper would crimp the case into the lead but i wanted to ask for your input.
Old June 14, 2005, 08:17 PM   #2
kgpcr

Revolvers use a roll crimp. Semiautos us a taper crimp as it headspaces on the case mouth.
Old June 15, 2005, 09:09 AM   #3
Zekewolf

You don't taper crimp into a cannelure; you roll crimp into a cannelure.
Old June 15, 2005, 09:49 AM   #4
JoeHatley

The Hornady bullets are soft swaged lead. The crosshatch on the bullet side is where the lube is.

If your .44 dies are a roll crimp, they will work just fine. Just adjust them to slightly roll the case mouth into the side of the bullet. Most loads for the swaged bullets are going to be pretty moderate, so it doesn't require a heavy crimp.

Good Luck...

Joe
Old June 16, 2005, 08:33 AM   #5
DakTo

Thanks everyone for the replies. JoeHatley, crimping as a seperate stage is new to me. I knew when i started loading for the 45 and 30-30 i would need to crimp. On the 45, you use a taper crimp for the reason mentioned. With a 30-30 we use a crimp to avoid set back but i was wondering about a roll crimp on a projectile that did not have a place to crimp and you provided an answer for the unknowing. Thanks again, when i doubt ask those who know.