The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 8, 2001, 04:05 PM   #1
PreserveFreedom

Does anyone make a detatchable box magazine fed semi-auto 12 gauge?

Old June 8, 2001, 06:03 PM   #2
CoyDog

I don't know of a detachable magazine, but Benelli makes a speedloader for the M1 Practical. It's a contraption that holds a row of shotshells and allows you to reload the entire magazine at once.
Good Shooting, CoyDog
Old June 8, 2001, 08:03 PM   #3
PreserveFreedom

Darnit...I was hoping that there was maybe an offspring of the Street Sweeper around somewhere but with a normal box mag. I imagine it wouldn't be hard to convert a 3 or 4 round mag into a 10 rounder with a little sheet metal.

Old June 8, 2001, 08:43 PM   #4
cuerno de chivo

Saiga. No pistol grips w/ a detatchable mag or a detatchable mag > 5rds on a SA due to federal law.
Old June 9, 2001, 10:09 AM   #5
fal308
Staff Alumnus

There is a Chinese-made pump gun that uses a detachable mag, don't recall the name at the moment (Brolin?)
There is also a thread somewhere here on TFL about a conversion for pumps for using either a ten round drum or six round detachable mag.
The Russians also have several interesting detachable mag shotguns. They have a 23 mm bore diameter bullpup pump gun, the KS-23. Very innovative. It can fire several different rounds; including buckshot, tear gas, rubber bullet and antivehicular! The antivehicular round is claimed to be able to shatter engine blocks upon impact. There is also a compact version of this one.
As for semi-auto, as posted above Saiga has several shotguns based upon the AK-style action with very extensive modifications. An interesting bit of information is that Saiga's tactical shotguns have a folding stock that folds to the left.
In the USA detachable mag shotguns have,for the most part, been reclassified as DDs (destructive devices) and therefore fall under the auspicies of the BATF. Getting a 12 gauge detachable autoloader in the USA requires federal approval and the appropriate tax stamp. The Gilbert Equipment Co made the USAS 12. This looked like an M16 on steroids. They are still available to qualified personnel only (LEO on letterhead etc) the same as any "assault weapon". The movie Tango & Cash used these extensively near the end in the big shootout scene.
The Street Sweeper and Striker 12 were both drum-fed 12 gauges. Don't recall which was which but one was detachable and one wasn't.
There were also several full-auto 12 gauges built. The Atchisson, the Gordon series (also made in belt-fed), the Childers-Dahlgren to mention a couple.
The excellent book The World's Fighting Shotguns by Thomas Swearengen has information on many of these and others, including conversions on Brownings, Winchester 1400s and others.
For more information on the Russian firearms look for an interesting book by Charlie Cutshaw titled The New World of Russian Small Arms & Ammo. An excellent and most interesting read.
Old June 9, 2001, 10:56 PM   #6
Apeach

I don't remember who, but I know that someone made a conversion for Remington 870 and Mossberg shotguns that allowed the use of box magazines. It replaced the magazine tube of the shotgun, and when you pumped it, it took a round out of the box. There was a post awhile back about this, so you could search for it.
Old June 11, 2001, 06:58 AM   #7
AMHsix

In the last 2 weeks I've seen an advertisement for the magazines for the Remington and Mossberg. I don't know where I saw it, but I heard of it like a year ago. So, I was surprised when I actually saw an adfor it. Go to you local magazine stand and look at all the gun magazines and Shotgun new. I had to see it there somewhere.

Looked interesting, but I couldn't figure out how it worked without doing some internal parts changing. The ad didn't explain much about the product, just saying it's available.
Old June 26, 2001, 10:04 AM   #8
AMHsix

Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.knoxx.com/product/sidewinder.html

Last edited by AMHsix; June 28, 2001 at 08:55 AM.