The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 23, 2001, 09:40 PM   #1
Danny45

Hornady SST Bullets

Hey guys, anyone have any experience with these? I took my new Browning 300 Win Mag hunting this past week and it was loaded with 150 grain SST's in their factory ammo. They seem awfully explosive to me. Maybe too much. I made a 152 yard shot on a 111 lbs 6 pointer and the amount of meat torn up was scary! I later shot a small coyote at 154 yards with it. It entered just in front of the shoulder and blew out the entire side of his neck when exiting. GEEEZ!
Old November 24, 2001, 12:25 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Do an archives search of this forum. We had an extensive SST discussion here, a couple of weeks back.

, Art
Old November 24, 2001, 01:23 AM   #3
Danny45

Thanks Art for your reply. I did a search and found only 4 posts (including this one) and none answered my questions. Maybe I just didn't use the search feature very well. I put in "SST" for the search criteria.
Old November 25, 2001, 08:25 AM   #4
onehit

I have been shooting Hornady's 30-06 lite-mag ammo with the 150gr SST and have realized that it is definately a long range bullet.I would most certainly not use a 150grainer in a 300 mag unless long shots at either whitetails or pronghorns are anticipated.Hornady also makes SST's in 165 and 180 gr weights which would much better serve your needs.If you want a lighter weight bullet that can withstand extreme velocity i would look at the Barnes X or the winchester failsafe.Good Huntin
Old November 25, 2001, 10:15 AM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I posted a response from a guy at Sierra about bullet design in general. The gist was that there is an effective range where a given bullet performs best.

For instance, some will blow up if the target is within 100 yards and the muzzle velocity is above 3,000 ft/sec. That bullet would do well for longer ranges. (They referred to their 150-grain boat-tail; that might also be the case for such as the SST 150-grain.)

The 165- and 180-grain bullets are somewhat "tougher" and are less likely to blow up. They provide greater penetration. A 180-grain would be effective throughout any probable hunting range. The downside would be recoil and possibly trajectory.

Overall, when in doubt, contact the manufacturer. Most have websites, and I imagine all of them will happily respond to email, although that might take a day or so, depending on the question.

Regards,

Art
Old November 25, 2001, 11:17 AM   #6
litework

Hey Danny45. I also have a newly purchased 300WinMag Browning. My uncle loves the accuracy of the SST's and I may buy a 100 based on his observations. I talked to a few people at the local gun shop and their experience has been the same as yours...a very lethal and explosive round. I think Onehit/Art Eatman hit the nail on the head. The people I spoke with were using big guns with light, "hot" loads and their game was shot at distances of less than 120 yards. If I buy a box, I will probably choose 165 - 180 grains.